SIG Talk banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Look back at some of my first posts and you'll see me asking same/similar questions.

I joined this forum because I needed some place to go for answers and advise on SIGs. SIG Talk seemed to "tolerate" the noob better than others. In time, I came to appreciate how important that is to engaging new gun owners and getting them up to speed on the important matters of training, maintenance and operations.
I get it, it’s just annoying that in almost every section of the forum there is some guy asking about the wear on their gun.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I agree with others here, very normal wear patterns. Actually, the bare spot in the muzzle opening was like that when you bought the pistol. That area, and the similar one 180 degree across in the muzzle opening, are ground for precise barrel lockup after the finish is applied.

Grease/oil is your friend in those areas.
Yeah maybe it did come like that if so that is good to know. Was just curious about it that’s all.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I get it, it’s just annoying that in almost every section of the forum there is some guy asking about the wear on their gun.
I wouldn’t worry about it man. Shoot more. There’s going to be A LOT of things in life that are annoying. Got to get over things easier.
Without new members may not be much to talk about.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’m starting to think there are a bunch of new shooters on this board. I’ve never seen so many threads posted about insignificant or normal wear being a concern anywhere else. Back in the day with the classic P series, your barrel and inside the slide would be shiny and bright after just a couple of hundred rounds. The P320 and P365 by comparison don’t show a lot of wear even at double the round count.

That wear is perfectly normal and will not effect function. The P365 is a concealed carry pistol. If you are carrying it daily it won’t be long before you’ll see wear in other places too, it will be ugly. Most firearms are tools. They are going to get dirty, scratched, and worn. Ignore the wear. Shoot more.
You aren't a member over at Glock talk, then. 😂 Happens like every 8 minutes there.

Yeah, newbs don't know what's normal and not. Especially those who've never owned a gun. They think guns are these insanely tough and deadly things that have God like powers. Nope. It's a metal or metal/polymer object like a tool. It will wear, and break even maybe at some point, especially if not well cared for.

We were all newbs at one point, just many of the older guys were new to guns before forums, and people didn't worry as much back then. Especially when you probably didn't have people to ask on forums. You just accepted the gun as long as it was running, who cares about finish wear.

OUR GOAL: As the 2A community, we need to welcome newbs in and make them want to be a part of this. Not everyone has Google-Fu. Let's make more new people say, man gun people are cool folks. Maybe they'll get a buddy to buy a gun and they'll show up and ask. Another in our ranks. We must remain united as gun people, but the gun community is its own worst enemy, many times.

Not directed at you @Angry Pug , just a general statement about these threads to everyone.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Are there more new gun owners now than ten years ago? Yes, about double, and the internet is their primary means of communication.

So, yes, we are getting a lot more "entry level" questions about stuff, and for the most part from people who have no previous experience working with mechanisms that move under power. Who among us here have changed their timing gears, removed the heads for a valve job, replaced the clutch, etc? It's a lot more than swapping an alternator or starter or water pump.

That collective knowledge that most men had already experienced in the 1980's is no longer there. Those guys are me and you over 65, the younger generation simply has no clue. I recently purchased tires for my F150, and mounted and balanced them MYSELF, on a hand operated dismounter, used beads for balancing, done. I've already mounted a winch, by myself, using a universal mounting plate, cutting and grinding the reliefs to get it to mount to the frame horns, and once that was done, I've repainted the front bumper, upper polymer bodywork, and the grille. I've looked and asked around with folks who I used to sell auto parts with, nobody in town has a hidden winch mounted on their 05. In a metro of 250,000 so far, it's me. Im it.

So when I read "is this wear dangerous and is my gun going to blow up!!!" I realize no, its not the poster who is really saying that, it's that snarky voice inside which objects to folks not seeming to know better. And that is exactly the point - they have never likely experienced this small fact of finish wear appearing on a firearm before. Funny, tearing down an M2 Browning or MK17 grenade launcher while serving in the MP's, we just took it in stride. More's the better we actually got to hang onto the spade grips and walked rounds in on that range. And then we got to clean it, too.

There are members here with an EXTENSIVE knowledge of a wide variety of subjects mechanical, which the average new gun owner has very little reference to when the cost of economic repair for them says throw that junk in the dumpster and go buy a new one. For those just a few years older tho, no, that was not an option. It was unaffordable to simply discard something that was inoperative. Like, a gas weed eater, which is a real no brainer to keep running IF you never use gasahol in it and IF you treat it with a fuel cleaner and IF you drain it every fall and fog the motor. How many of you have heard that is the correct procedure?

Well, I hadn't and when they don't start on old stale fuel with corroded diaphragms in the spring, and you pay almost as much for the repair as a new power head, you learn things. I'm not buying a weed eater every spring. I can buy a new gun every 4 years doing that.

The American male hasn't been raised with an adult male in the house and now we have an entire tribe of of them trying to learn how to be adult - with nobody to show the way. Those of you who know that path, keep replying, there are millions who need your help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most of all keep in mind many of the substantive reasons for this situation have nothing to do with them - it's an environment they were raised in with no choice.

For those of us who are older, much the same. Car broke? Fix it dude quit yer whining. Failure is not an option or you walk to work Monday like it or not.

There is a YUGE difference in how we were raised then and it was male leaders in the actual home who basically put the shovel in your hand and said dig yourself out.

and yeah I get it none of the newer gen understands that metals actually wear the finish in high contact areas when new. Yes there are an unusual number of newer posts over it. And next month and the month after, too.

WE SHOULD POST MORE WORN OUT OLD GUNS STILL WORKING AWAY WITH NO ISSUES and get the idea across. Why we don't see those is an INORDINATE number of people who like to post shiny NEW! guns to impress people on line with their credit card status.

Hence all the appendix carry extended grip RMR equipped macho gun banger shots constantly put in blogs and magazines. The merchandizers are pushing that agenda to Sell Sell Sell and it's shoving aside older guns with 5k rounds thru them - which WAS the standard for carry just a few years ago. But all the new buyers are tilting the playing field as the gun makers chase after their new dollars trying to get them engaged in the Gun of the Month club.

They are trying to get those rookie numbers up - if you don't own a dozen different handguns you are a lame player.

From there you go into how many can you actually be compentent using, something that has been growning as a problem when people attempt to rotate said dozen guns into a weekly carry routine, and some don't have any similiarity in operation at all. DA/SA revolver vs no Safety at all auto vs Glock safety vs hammer fired thumb safety vs striker no safety vs striker with thumb safety.

And we wonder how we keep the rate of negligent discharges as low as we do.

·
Registered
254 Posts
They are trying to get those rookie numbers up - if you don't own a dozen different handguns you are a lame player.

From there you go into how many can you actually be compentent using, something that has been growning as a problem when people attempt to rotate said dozen guns into a weekly carry routine, and some don't have any similiarity in operation at all. DA/SA revolver vs no Safety at all auto vs Glock safety vs hammer fired thumb safety vs striker no safety vs striker with thumb safety.

And we wonder how we keep the rate of negligent discharges as low as we do.
When I read or hear “Carry rotation” I always cringe. I can understand having a couple different size guns depending on circumstances. But rotating SD guns for fun seems silly to me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
When I read or hear “Carry rotation” I always cringe. I can understand having a couple different size guns depending on circumstances. But rotating SD guns for fun seems silly to me.
Silly to you but not others. Especially if you like different guns and models.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Carry rotation is fun, however, I see the points against it. I still have a couple different types.

The idea behind no carry 'rotation' is that you stick with one manual of arms. For those who don't know, manual of arms is the same weapons operation. Like AR-15s all have, essentially, the same MOA. Pistols get a bit more specific, but I like my Security 9s for instance. I have the Compact and the Fullsize Sec 9, and trigger pull, safety placement and operations are all identical. I was going that route with Glocks, but found Glocks to be lacking, and I tried several. The P365 is a slight deviation from the handguns I'm familiarizing on, and I'm still finding what really works well for me. I don't care, I'd rather spend extra time and money really figuring it out. Only live once.

Do what works and is fun and safe for you, just be sure to get as much practice in as possible.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Carry rotation is fun, however, I see the points against it. I still have a couple different types.

The idea behind no carry 'rotation' is that you stick with one manual of arms. For those who don't know, manual of arms is the same weapons operation. Like AR-15s all have, essentially, the same MOA. Pistols get a bit more specific, but I like my Security 9s for instance. I have the Compact and the Fullsize Sec 9, and trigger pull, safety placement and operations are all identical. I was going that route with Glocks, but found Glocks to be lacking, and I tried several. The P365 is a slight deviation from the handguns I'm familiarizing on, and I'm still finding what really works well for me. I don't care, I'd rather spend extra time and money really figuring it out. Only live once.

Do what works and is fun and safe for you, just be sure to get as much practice in as possible.
What were the issues you’ve had w/Glock

·
Registered
187 Posts
What were the issues you’ve had w/Glock
My 19 and 26 had a burp or two in the first 250 rounds, which contrary to popular belief, most of us believe guns need a fair 250 rounds to break in. Yes, Glocks can jam, even though their marketing department would have you believe nothing of the sort.

That wasn't the issue. Just mainly ergos. Glocks are great at being guns. I didn't prefer shooting them, blocky grip, trigger guard is too tiny and blisters the trigger finger, etc. I know some will tell me to toughen up or callous that finger, but none of my other guns with better trigger guard sizes do it. I was ok with the grip angle, but got pulled in by the legendary status, and I had to buy several of them. I'm moving back to brands I've had in the past, because for me, they just work better. Ruger was one of my first, and the Sig is a nice gun. Having a good belt and holster has made a world of difference for the P365 and it's now much easier to consistently draw. I've been doing guns for a few years, and am still finding out what works and what works well for me. Go figure. :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts