SIG Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my welcome post:

Today, I finally purchased my first Sig - a P365 SAS.

My current (handgun) collection includes:

S&W Model 469 (ca. 1984 9x19 - I am the original owner)
S&W Model 360PD (11 oz. J-Frame in .357 Magnum - yes, it's a beast to shoot with full power loads)
S&W Performance Center M&P Shield 40 M2.0 w/ Crimson Trace RDS
Springfield Armory Hellcat
Glock 19
Glock 43 w/ Leupold Delta Micro RDS

This last one brought me to the P365SAS. When I first saw the Mepro sights, I thought: no way will this work for me.

But the G43 + Leupold Micro RDS changed my mind on that - it too has a small view window; seems impossibly small when you first line up the sight. But after 500+ rounds at the range, I feel I have adjusted to the small view, relative to my larger dots on the Shield 40 and my long guns. Using Federal 150 gr HST Micro, I am getting consistent groupings and I feel like my follow-up shots are as fast or faster than with my other handguns.

We shall see if I can replicate that experience running the P365SAS.
So, today I went to the range after work. My first couple of mags with the SAS were disappointing. Like many of the reviews I'd read, my groups were way off; in my case, far to the left and a low.

After about 50 rounds, I decided to slow way down, focus on my stance, my grip, a careful, deliberate trigger pull, and be consistent with the sight picture through the Mepro. This last part took me some time. I've been a target focused shooter since the mid '80s (I learned that in the Army and don't focus on the front sight post, which I think has helped me transition to RDS equipped pistols).

With my vision, the target is in clear focus, but the Mepro circle-dot is a little blurry - more so than with my other dot sights, which makes sense as it's a significantly smaller viewport.

I just kept working at it... the drift back to center occurred and my shots started landing up towards my POA (I was shooting at both 15' and 21'. With my last box of 20 (Federal 150 gr HST Micro, I ran a few 'Failure Drills' at 21', as fast I was capable of shooting from a high ready.

I am a believer in the P365 SAS sights, after about 300 rounds of practice. Firing more slowly, as of now, I am more accurate with the G43 + Leupold Delta Micro. Firing faster, the P365 SAS allowed more rapid follow-up shots. Yes, I need to quantify all of this with a shot timer, when I can get the bay to myself. And, of course, I have work to do on accuracy.

But, I am convinced enough to make the P365 SAS my new EDC (after some more practice and receiving my Phlster IWB holster).

Well done, Sig Sauer!

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,722 Posts
The P365SAS is an excellent EDC.

Reactions: fotog

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am also a "believer" in the P365 SAS. Love the ported barrel/slide and the ease of a "snag free" draw. I added the Lima Laser to mine. And personally couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glad to hear some positive about SAS sights. Haven’t had a chance to try them but you’ve renewed my interest in finding an SAS slide to see for myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have the SAS but I caved in and bought the adapter plate + the Sig Romeo Zero RDS for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I took my non-ported SAS slide to the range for the first time today. After seeing a bunch of negative reviews and comments on Youtube and other places it really made me worry.

But I really had no problem. At 10 yards I started out a bit high, but adjusted pretty well. The oval is about the size of a hand. The orange area is about the size of a palm. Shooting about one round per second with normal thumb's forward two handed grip. I shot a few double taps. Was shooting a few factory (LAX Ammo) 147 grain rounds and then some of my 147 grain reloads. I used the standard 10rd mag and a 10rd with the pinky extension. I love the P365!!!

Next I plan on doing some tactical drills.

·
Registered
294 Posts
What worked for me was selling it. ;)

Bought one when it first came out. Loved the sights at the store. Hated them at the range. Thankfully, the COVID panic allowed me to recoup my complete investment, including range time and ammo. If I was going through that now, I'd probably pull the sight and drop on an RDS.

But the snagless controls also seemed like a solution searching for a problem and were a bit of a pain in the ***.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took my non-ported SAS slide to the range for the first time today. After seeing a bunch of negative reviews and comments on Youtube and other places it really made me worry.

But I really had no problem. At 10 yards I started out a bit high, but adjusted pretty well. The oval is about the size of a hand. The orange area is about the size of a palm. Shooting about one round per second with normal thumb's forward two handed grip. I shot a few double taps. Was shooting a few factory (LAX Ammo) 147 grain rounds and then some of my 147 grain reloads. I used the standard 10rd mag and a 10rd with the pinky extension. I love the P365!!!

Next I plan on doing some tactical drills.

View attachment 398570
I also have the non-ported SAS and am very happy with it. Its not my “range day buddy” like my Glock 19/29 are. Its a stellar carry gun for me though. IWB/OWB and pocket with the right pants.

I shoot it well, but not as well as other guns with longer sight radius, larger grips etc. Glad you like it, happy for those who don’t and sold it and are now happy, hoping that the people buying those second hand guns are happy too!

JW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
969 Posts
From my welcome post:

So, today I went to the range after work. My first couple of mags with the SAS were disappointing. Like many of the reviews I'd read, my groups were way off; in my case, far to the left and a low.

After about 50 rounds, I decided to slow way down, focus on my stance, my grip, a careful, deliberate trigger pull, and be consistent with the sight picture through the Mepro. This last part took me some time. I've been a target focused shooter since the mid '80s (I learned that in the Army and don't focus on the front sight post, which I think has helped me transition to RDS equipped pistols).

With my vision, the target is in clear focus, but the Mepro circle-dot is a little blurry - more so than with my other dot sights, which makes sense as it's a significantly smaller viewport.

I just kept working at it... the drift back to center occurred and my shots started landing up towards my POA (I was shooting at both 15' and 21'. With my last box of 20 (Federal 150 gr HST Micro, I ran a few 'Failure Drills' at 21', as fast I was capable of shooting from a high ready.

I am a believer in the P365 SAS sights, after about 300 rounds of practice. Firing more slowly, as of now, I am more accurate with the G43 + Leupold Delta Micro. Firing faster, the P365 SAS allowed more rapid follow-up shots. Yes, I need to quantify all of this with a shot timer, when I can get the bay to myself. And, of course, I have work to do on accuracy.

But, I am convinced enough to make the P365 SAS my new EDC (after some more practice and receiving my Phlster IWB holster).

Well done, Sig Sauer!

View attachment 397812

Keep a close check of the frame rails of the 469. Almost every one of ours developed cracks with a limited round count. In the past they upgraded them to 3rd Gen. Now they will do nothing to repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep a close check of the frame rails of the 469. Almost every one of ours developed cracks with a limited round count. In the past they upgraded them to 3rd Gen. Now they will do nothing to repair.
Thanks for the heads-up. I never shoot it, but I will check this out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts