SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are 10 rd, 12 rd, 14 rd, 15 rd, 17 rd, 20 rd, 30 rd, 32 rd, and 50 round magazines available for the P365 and P365XL.

There are lots of good reasons to carry a backup magazine, with a possible magazine failure being one of the most important reasons.

What capacity magazine would you carry in your P365 or P365XL and what capacity magazine would you carry for backup, and why?

I had originally planned to carry with a 10 rd magazine in my P365 and a 15 rd magazine as backup. But I couldn't get comfortable with a 2-finger grip with my limited handgun experience. So I went with the P365 Tac Pac that came with three 12 rd magazines and then got a couple of additional 15 rd magazines.

But after going to the range I decided that I didn't like the feel of the 12 rd magazine moving around and pinching my fingers, as well as not being able to stand on it's edge in my lock box. So I swapped the grip module for a P365XL grip module. I did some radiusing of the grip module and magazine floorplates so that it really feels comfortable in my hand with the 12 rd magazine. I can also stand the XL magazines on their edge and fit more into my small lockboxes.

But now I'm pondering whether or not to carry 12 rd magazines or 15 rd magazines for backup. The 12 rd magazine in my P365X feels better in my hand than the 15 rd magazine. The 15 rd magazine protrudes further and stands a greater chance of being caught on something in a panic situation. The 15 rd magazine also seems to flop around in my P365X more than does the 12 rd magazine. So is it really worth having the extra 3 rounds in the magazine?

The 20 rd, 30 rd, 32 rd, and 50 round magazines seem more like fun range toys to me and I can't see myself using them in a panic situation. I don't think that I'd want to carry any of these:

ProMag P365 9mm (20) Rd - Blue Steel:

ProMag P365 9mm (30) Rd - Black Polymer Drum

ProMag P365 9mm (32) Rd - Blue Steel

ProMag P365 9mm (50) Rd - Black Polymer Drum

It seems that we have another contender providing modifications to add 2 rds to Sig magazines:

MagGuts P365 +2 for 10 Round Magazine (12 rds into a 10 rd magazine)

P365 +2 for 12 Round Magazine (14 rds into a 12 rd magazine)

P365 XL +2 for 12 Round Magazine (14 rds into a 12 rd magazine)

P365 +2 for 15 round magazine (also for XL models) (17 rds into a 15 rd magazine)

What say you all?

·
Premium Member
US Army Veteran
1,261 Posts
I carry 10 because my state limits my choice to 10. I use the xl frame with a standard slide (365X) and like the grip a lot. I haven't heard good things about ProMag, but it's not my money.

·
Registered
282 Posts
XL, and I plan to carry with the 12rd and have a 15rd in my pocket for backup. Pocket carrying an extra mag is what I do for all firearms and the longer the better for how I grab it, so the 15rd excels here. (For Glocks I carry a long 21rd Magpul in the pocket since it's so easy to reach in and grab it). Yes a belt holder is quicker but pocket is easier for EDC and the chances of needing to reload are very small.

I'd never carry a Promag for any firearm.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you can't get out of whatever mess you find yourself in with 13 rounds then you're probably in way over your head no matter what you're carrying. If having more boo-lits means that much to you get one of MagGut's 14-round kits as soon as they're available for the OEM 12-rounders (any day now).

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you think you are gonna have "fun" with ProMag think again.

They know their mags are junk so much so that if you call them, not only do they tell you to keep the mag, they will send a second.....and when you call and again inform them it doesnt work they offer a full refund......and then tell you "nah you can throw them away" when you ask about if they want you to send the mags back.

I bought 1 mag from them 1 time...that was my experience.....Friends dont let friends buy promag.....unless you really want to practice failure drills.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Believe it or not I recently bought a couple of Pro-Mag 25-round mags for a Marlin 70 .22LR that actually seem to work okay. They're the only mags from that company I ever bought that actually functioned worth a damn.

·
Registered
264 Posts
P365, unmodified. 10 rounds in the Sneaky Pete holster since that is its capacity. Otherwise with TXC x1 Pro AIWB or Versacarry Commander OWB I use the 12 round magazine. TG

·
Registered
393 Posts
In the 365 it's 10 rds (+1) - but the base plate is an extended tactical developments pinky. I do 10 +1 as it is easier to conceal loaded into the grip (4 o'clock IWB). Weak side has a 12 mostly, on occasion a 15. If I carry the XL, its 12 +1 in it, plus 15 weak side IWB carrier.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
When I carry my 365’s standard and XL it’s 12 in the standard 10 if I need deeper concealment and have extra 12 rounder.
12 or 15 in the XL and a extra 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
141 Posts
10 round magazine w/ finger extension in the SAS. 12 round flush in the XL w/ Romeo. 15 back up.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't even own one of the 15-rounders. Making a pistol known for its compactness longer just to make it hold the same number of rounds as a pistol built for it makes little sense to me. Yeah I get the spare mag argument, but I suspect a lot of civilian gun carriers don't actually bother to carry a spare mag when they go out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well several of us are testing them right now. I agree they're pricey, but 12+1 in a short-framed P365 is pretty hard to pass over.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts