SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if Sig has plans to make a .380 with the same "patented" mags that the 9mm P365 uses.

By my calculations such a gun could hold about 100 rounds:).

Anybody hear anything along these lines...?

·
Registered
624 Posts
You could still only get 10 and 12 rounds in those 380 mags. Bullet diameter is to close to the same as the 9MM. There is no advantage that I can see unless they made the complete gun smaller for concealment purposes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could still only get 10 and 12 rounds in those 380 mags. Bullet diameter is to close to the same as the 9MM. There is no advantage that I can see unless they made the complete gun smaller for concealment purposes.

You are correct. I was just fooling about the 100 rounds.

Seems like they should be able to make a much smaller pistol, with a 10 or 12 round capacity mags--which would be a game changer as is the 9mm P365.

My Kahr P380 holds 6 +1 and is MUCH smaller than my Kahr PM9, that also holds 6+1.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We humans come in a variety of ergonomic predispositions. Therefore I do not claim to speak for everyone, but I don't see the grip area of the frame being positively influenced by the 380 round.

It's diameter is the same as the 9x19mm Luger but the 9x18 380 is shorter by a negligible amount. Therefore, the width of the grip would not be narrower with a change to the 380; they are both 9mm. The grip and magazine could be made front-to-back shorter and the breach could be made 1mm shorter with the same barrel length. This would not yield a positive ergo change for me.

I actually wouldn't mind adding a few additional mm's of front to back depth to the 9mm's grip. I think that change would lessen muzzle flip and shorten target re-acquisition by a couple of nano seconds...for me! YMMV. A 380 round does have less powder and that would impact muzzle rise positively over the snappier Luger round.

A shorter length wouldn't make much of a difference in printing. We can't change the width in 380. I don't see the caliber change making the gun more concealable.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
I don't see Sig doing it. Too few people interested in 380, and there are plenty of choices on the market.
Then again, I've been wrong, before.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Maybe in another year or so after they can finally meet the demand of the 9mm and make sure it’s running reliably. I can see a place for a higher capacity 380. The shield EZ has done extremely well for Smith and the 42 still holds a strong place in the market even though the 43 crippled its sales.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'd like to see them make it in 40 S&W.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You are correct. I was just fooling about the 100 rounds.

Seems like they should be able to make a much smaller pistol, with a 10 or 12 round capacity mags--which would be a game changer as is the 9mm P365.

My Kahr P380 holds 6 +1 and is MUCH smaller than my Kahr PM9, that also holds 6+1.
And with Mag-guts, my p380 holds 7+1. :eek:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe in another year or so after they can finally meet the demand of the 9mm and make sure it’s running reliably. I can see a place for a higher capacity 380. The shield EZ has done extremely well for Smith and the 42 still holds a strong place in the market even though the 43 crippled its sales.

This. ^^^^

The little .380s have their place and, as I understand it, sell pretty well. I've got one for times when I absolutely don't want to get spotted for carrying and still want to carry.

Social situations, not legal situations. I never ever ever carry where it is prohibited by law...

·
Premium Member
Sig P320 X-Compact, Smith and Wesson 327.
8,158 Posts
My wife owns and carries the Springfield 911 .380 and really likes it. I occasionally carry it myself. Its very light and shoots really well but my carry of choice is my Sig P365.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
P365 in 357sig holding 8+1. I would buy 3 of them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't see Sig doing it. Too few people interested in 380, and there are plenty of choices on the market.
Then again, I've been wrong, before.
People underestimate the 380's popularity.

The ATF's 2016 Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Report details production of pistols by caliber:

48% - 9mm
24% - 380
18% - over 9mm
09% - under 380 (nearly all 22)

Possibly more surprising are the statistics in the most recent five years of reports:

Year - 9mm - 380
2016 - 48% - 24%
2015 - 43% - 23%
2014 - 35% - 24%
2013 - 38% - 19%
2012 - 35% - 17%

1 - 15 of 15 Posts