SIG Talk banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
A lot of great advice being given to you here. (Heck, based on the replies, I'm willing to be you're getting free instruction backed up by about 200 years of shooting experience. ;) )

1. Put it on sandbags and shoot it. (The goal is to stabilize it so the muzzle cannot dip.)
2. Have someone else (an experienced shooter) shoot it.
3. Use a laser/MantisX dryfire system and practice. (See where your dry-fire shots would go and how they compare to your actual fire.)

Flinching (or anticipating) is a common phenomenon. It happens to very experienced shooters as well as new ones. Small pistols like the P365 are very susceptible to it. (Smaller gripping surface, more "snappy" recoil.)

Let us know how it goes, but please, for the love of all that's Holy, do NOT try to draw it! ;)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I screwed around with this last night and I'm 100% sure you're not getting the rear sight high enough to properly sight down the length of the slide, basically holding it at chin height instead of bringing the gun up to your line of sight. I can replicate the situation you are describing by doing this. Holding the gun a few inches low, but still lining up the front sight. If I lower my head to the gun the sights line up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Its funny about the sighting. I dont have a 365 I have a newish to me 229 but I am a better than fair shot and shoot a lot of revolver so trigger pull isnt a problem. Then i go the range and I am shooting low. I am beside myself trying to figure it out. I massage my trigger pull, I check my grip and .... LOW!

Grrr Grumble grumble .. I am pretty sure its not the gun and is me then .. I remembered that some guns prefer the combat sighting. Ding ding .. I place my front sight OVER what I want to hit and bazang. Tiny little group right under the dot.

It is fast to acquire but kind of messes it up for me as a bullseye type gun but it wasnt really designed for that.

All of my other guns I shoot center hold but I have had a few that were set up for combat hold and after about 20 rounds I realized DUH .. this guy is set up for combat.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Couple things...when benching the gun, rest your wrists on the sandbags, not the gun butt...it will effect how the gun recoils.
But more important, get some dummy 9mm rounds and have someone else load them at random in your magazine, among the live rounds.
The idea being, be surprised when the gun doesn't go bang...and if you're flinching, you'll see it.
The ball n' dummy drill is a great diagnostic tool; give it a try. Really.
Moon

·
Registered
177 Posts
But more important, get some dummy 9mm rounds and have someone else load them at random in your magazine, among the live rounds.
The idea being, be surprised when the gun doesn't go bang...and if you're flinching, you'll see it.
The ball n' dummy drill is a great diagnostic tool; give it a try. Really.
Moon
That is GREAT advice .. I did it with my wife and yes ... its eye opening. A really good tool!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts