SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Keep in mind it may just be you and not the pistol that is causing the low shots- it's very common for people to subconsciously lower or "dip" the muzzle a bit- to see the intended POI/target, or as a predictive response to recoil- just before the primer ignites, which causes the shot to hit low... That's why this kind of troubleshooting needs to be done from sandbags- to eliminate this phenomena of lowering the muzzle...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So from my pic, do I have an #8 in back? And are you recommending BOTH buy a #8 for the front AND the sandbags?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
So from my pic, do I have an #8 in back? And are you recommending BOTH buy a #8 for the front AND the sandbags?
All along we've been saying you need to first shoot it from sandbags to eliminate the issue of pistol movement from the troubleshooting scenario...

If, and only if, the pistol STILL shoots low after doing the sandbag process to eliminate pistol movement, then you probably need to buy a Sig number 8 front sight.

Yes your rear sight appears to be a #8.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Interesting...In a second, I will post a rudimentary drawing of what it looks like when I shoot. Like I said, I am pretty accurate, it's just that I know I'm doing something wrong and going off of feel too much. It sounds like you are both saying I need to buy a new front sight - is that correct?
You have a brand new handgun and a micro pistol at that. Don't make the common mistake of running out and changing the sights for what will surely be a simple lack of experience with this particular firearm.

Unfortunately practicing with ammo is much more difficult than in the past. But try this as a practice method..

A drill from one of the most knowledgeable in the business....

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
OP may want to get a laser cartridge to help with sight picture. You don’t need a whole set up. Just the cartridge and a paper target.
It helped me immensely with sight picture etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
500 Posts
New gun owners are gonna be new. Take a course, don't just buy the thing and shoot it. Do your due diligence. They are very dangerous in the uninformed, untrained, or careless hands. I'm not putting you down for your lack of knowledge, but, "Come On Man"

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
So just to clarify..
When aiming you are using the combat (#3) hold? Not a 6'oclock or center hold ?
If you are using a combat hold but hit low and you have to park the dots like you are lobbing .45's at 100 yard target then try a #8 front.
Presuming you are using a rest of some sort to rule out technique.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’m getting dizzy looking at all these drawings and pictures! LOL... a simple way to figure this out is to ask someone at the range that you know is a experience shooter to shoot a few rounds and see there result, nothing against you skills, but I’ve Seen this with many new shooters and it wasn’t the gun at all! You could have a bad flinch and not know it!! Again, no disrespect! Good luck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
You're likely jerking the gun down. Don't buy a new sight to compensate for that. Have someone else shoot it to verify that the sights are indeed ok. If they are, then you are just experiencing what many new shooters deal with, "the flinch". Follow the advice above...dry fire...laser..etc. Muscle memory will help you fight the flinch and soon, you'll be a pro!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I suspect that the good advice you have been given here is right on the money, A combination of learning to work with the combat site picture and dealing with “ the flinch” will cure 99% of your problem. Do yourself a favor and watch this video. It is simple, clear and absolutely the best approach I know of to get over the flinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I recently got a new P320 and when I took it to the range found that it was shooting low. Since I'm "ON" with my Glocks, I figured I had to be shooting the Sig right as well. I was considering ordering a #8 front sight. The next week, I followed the advice given here and shot the Sig from a rest. It was ON so I started shooting it slowly and deliberately, pressing the trigger slowly and letting the shot SURPRISE me. Pretty soon, the Point of Impact began rising to my Point of Aim. I often tell Glock newbies, "Learn to SHOOT the darn thing before you start throwing money at it" and figured I was gonna have to follow my own advice with my Sig. Now I'm happy I worked on it a bit before spending money needlessly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I recently got a new P320 and when I took it to the range found that it was shooting low. Since I'm "ON" with my Glocks, I figured I had to be shooting the Sig right as well. I was considering ordering a #8 front sight. The next week, I followed the advice given here and shot the Sig from a rest. It was ON so I started shooting it slowly and deliberately, pressing the trigger slowly and letting the shot SURPRISE me. Pretty soon, the Point of Impact began rising to my Point of Aim. I often tell Glock newbies, "Learn to SHOOT the darn thing before you start throwing money at it" and figured I was gonna have to follow my own advice with my Sig. Now I'm happy I worked on it a bit before spending money needlessly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check out this thread:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Perspective is a funny thing. Sounds to me like you’re just holding the gun to low. Bring it up to eye level and use the combat sight described above.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts