SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone: I apologize if this is a bit of a newbie question. I got a P365 about a month ago. Love the thing. But my sight picture to be on target is crazy low. What I mean is, for me to be on target, I'm seeing a lot of the top of the slide when I'm aiming - Like I'm aiming really high. Now, with that said, I can "feel" when I'm going to be on target on virtually every shot. But I know this isn't correct. What should I change?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
In order to check the sight alignment:
Aim with the sights aligned with the front sight even in the notch
Use a rest, at 10 yards, see where the point of impact (POI) is in comparison to the point of aim (POA)
Sig pistols use a combat sight picture ie Put the front sight where you want the bullet to strike.
After you determine where the bullet strikes, you can see how much you need to chance the sights.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting...In a second, I will post a rudimentary drawing of what it looks like when I shoot. Like I said, I am pretty accurate, it's just that I know I'm doing something wrong and going off of feel too much. It sounds like you are both saying I need to buy a new front sight - is that correct?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Interesting...In a second, I will post a rudimentary drawing of what it looks like when I shoot. Like I said, I am pretty accurate, it's just that I know I'm doing something wrong and going off of feel too much. It sounds like you are both saying I need to buy a new front sight - is that correct?
I definitely said nothing about you buying a new front sight because that would be premature... Is your front sight a number 6 or 8?

Shoot it from sandbags following our advice, and post pics of your results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a terrible artist, so I hope you kinda know what I'm saying where with this photo...
tempImagel6WYPv.jpg

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
You're doing it wrong- and I don't just mean your drawing skills, LOL!

The top of the front sight post should be even with the top of the rear sight post- flat metal even with flat metal, as shown in the pics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, LOL. If I were to do it correctly, I'd be shooting below the target every time. that's why I'm doing it incorrectly so that I can be on target. It's strange. We know I'm new, and I had some lessons, but the guy kept telling me I needed to adjust my sights higher or lower (don't recall what he said but he seemed confused) because he was like "you're pretty accurate, but you shouldn't have that view that you have."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he actually thought there was something wrong with the gun for 5 minutes trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very much sight picture #3, lol my son had all sorts of issues with the aiming of my 365xl. But he finally started to get it towards the end, certainly wasn't second nature for him.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
To rule out all variables you need to shoot from sandbags... that way you'll know for sure if the front or rear sights are the wrong height.

If you follow the advice and the actual bullet POI is lower than your POA, then you probably need an 8 front sight.

Your rear sight should be an 8.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had been shooting low with mine and thought the sights might be 'off'. Last time I was at the range, one of the RSO's told me I needed to raise the target as I was actually having to point the gun slightly down due to my height (6'2"). Many of my shots were actually hitting the range floor down range, which I could not see as the target blocked my view. We raised the target up on the gantry & my low shooting issue pretty much went away !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK this will help. Here is what you want me to see in 1 pic. And here is what I see to be on target in the other pic.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Your top pic matches the Combat Hold in my graphics and is correct.

What you're doing is incorrect...

Three questions:
1) What number is on your rear sight?

2) What number front sight?

3) Why are you holding your pistol incorrectly- is it to raise the bullet's actual POI because you think it's hitting low?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is kinda what I figured. How can I tell if my rear is a #8 - what marking should I look for on it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your top pic matches the Combat Hold in my graphics and is correct.

What you're doing is incorrect...

Three questions:
1) What number is on your rear sight?

2) What number front sight?

3) Why are you holding your pistol incorrectly- is it to raise the bullet's actual POI because you think it's hitting low?

1- I don't know the rear sight # - can you tell me what marking to look for so you can confirm for me?
2-Front is a #6
3-I am holding the pistol incorrectly to raise the actual POI - When I hold it this way I am very accurate from many distances. If I held it correctly, I would be well, well below target.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
There should be a number stamped into the rear sight...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts