SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
835 rounds fired, number 836 failed, first trigger press of the day and nothing happened. The firing pin is broken. I've been carrying an inert object as my CCW for the past week.. fun.

365-9-BXR3
Born on 10-MAR-2018

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
So sad! Another bad rap on the 365.....hope SIG builds them better, SOON...

·
Banned
516 Posts
835 rounds fired, number 836 failed, first trigger press of the day and nothing happened. The firing pin is broken. I've been carrying an inert object as my CCW for the past week.. fun.

365-9-BXR3
Born on 10-MAR-2018
That sucks!

We share a born on date: 3/10/18

I have over 1K rounds through my P365.
I inspected the striker assembly after 500rds, and again after 1000.
Just to check, as there have been issues reported like yours, and I would hate to be carrying a non-operational firearm!

Just checked again, and everything still looks good.

Hopefully Sig will be able to resolve the issue promptly.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys, I was so dejected I just boxed it up and shipped it out before I saw your posts asking for pics and clarification.

I didn't disassemble the slide, while still at the range I took a flashlight and peered into the firing pin channel, the pin was gone.

After reading some posts last week I checked and did notice some of my brass exhibited firing pin swipes, it was negligible though, they were small and infrequent, most of the spent casings had perfect looking strikes. The Brass I have now is mixed because I put some rounds down range with a different 9mm.

Now I wish I took the time to disassemble and inspect it but the experience put me in a terrible mood. I'm on vacation and had plans to do a lot of shooting this coming week. Why MIM the firing pin?

blarg

·
Registered
53 Posts
I decided to hold off a few months until these potentially catastrophic failures are resolved. Last thing I want in a carry gun is one that could be a deadweight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great. Those primer swipes are my biggest issue with my P365 and whether or not I'll carry it...there's no immediate or remedial action to fix that when it happens

·
Banned
231 Posts
Great. Those primer swipes are my biggest issue with my P365 and whether or not I'll carry it...there's no immediate or remedial action to fix that when it happens
I agree the swipes are of concern. They show firing pin drag, which is not a good thing (regardless of why). It's an unnecessary force on the pin that it should not have to deal with. Even an "upgraded" firing pin would still be a Band-Aid for the bad timing.
At worst, maybe they'll replace the FP's with a stronger hardened version. At best, maybe they'll redesign it so the timing issue isn't there (the proper solution).
We'll see how they address this issue.

·
Registered
601 Posts
When you look at the wear on the Mag followers.....I wonder if the mag wear on the followers is causing a feeding problem. If the rounds aren't feeding correctly due to wear, the strike may be off.
As some have posted earlier, the strike from the firing pin is almost like a rim fire strike.

Maybe this is causing failure due to unusual wear in the firing pins?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Drag marks on the spent primers happens on all the sub compacts I own and there are 4 different manufactures so I figure this is normal. However I think a broken firing pin is more likely to happen because of dry firing without snapcaps. So did the original poster with the broken firing pin do a lot of dry fire without snapcaps?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don't have a pic, but I looked at the casing between my Shield and P365 and they looked similar.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Drag marks on the spent primers happens on all the sub compacts I own and there are 4 different manufactures so I figure this is normal. However I think a broken firing pin is more likely to happen because of dry firing without snapcaps. So did the original poster with the broken firing pin do a lot of dry fire without snapcaps?
Dry firing being the problem doesn't make engineering sense. When you dry fire the firing pin hits nothing -- the large blunt face of the striker behind the firing pin projection just hits the inside breech face. A weak striker spring and/or dirt and/or grease in the striker channel preventing the firing pin from retracting fast enough to not be pushed sideways by the dropping cartridge in the barrel as the action cycles is more likely.

Another possibility is excessively brittle firing pins, as a certain degree of dragging is common in all high pressure pistol rounds in Glocks, M&Ps, Shields, etc. Those do occasionally see breaks, but sufficiently rarely as to be regarded individual unit random defects.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My employer (before retiring) had a plant in NC that MIM manufactured several products included mounted bearing housings up to 1” diameter ball bearings. We never experienced product failure under normal usage. I was privileged to watch the process and found it hard to believe that powdered metal could be formed into solid durable objects but became a believer.

For a firing pin that moves back and forth in a single direction MIM should be sufficiently durable but the radial wiping action on the primer gives me cause for concern. One would hope that Sig engineers would have calculated or tested the radial forces needed to avoid firing pin failure and engineer the timing to minimize radial forces. We likely may never know the design details in this area but should be hoping for an engineered solution soon without a third party fix.

·
Registered
399 Posts
There is another post located here http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-p365-p320-x-5-pistols/299090-p365-first-range-day-good-results.html that shows the striker pin drag on the primer. The only time my 1911s did that was when one time I had a slight bur developed where the firing pin came through and the other was due to me not cleaning the gun after 2000 rounds and carbon built up in the channel. I heard some of the P365 striker channels are oil soaked so mine will get a really good cleaning before I take it to the range this week. Here is the picture from the post I referenced above.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There will be swiping -- the question is the degree. Go to a range and go thru the picked up 9mm brass -- you will see it is almost universal.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.