SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the 320 trigger problem squared away (see previous posts) but the accuracy of this gun leaves much to be desired. I shoot my Walther, Browning Hi-Power and Canik TP9SA much better. I can't even hit the paper with the Sig at 15 yards, prints high and low but never on the target. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Have someone else try shooting it also. Ideally someone who is a good shot with pretty much any pistol or can try it off a rest to see it it is you or the pistol. The mechanical accuracy of a P320FS should be able to group around an inch at 15 yards.

It may also help to concentrate shooting it at closer distance starting at five yards and then shooting it at further distances if accuracy is good and on center of target at closer distance. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to a different pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I think you just need more time with it. I felt the same when I picked up my Glock 32, but after my 3rd range session and about 700 rounds later, it is now part of my EDC.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have someone else try shooting it also. Ideally someone who is a good shot with pretty much any pistol or can try it off a rest to see it it is you or the pistol. The mechanical accuracy of a P320FS should be able to group around an inch at 15 yards.

It may also help to concentrate shooting it at closer distance starting at five yards and then shooting it at further distances if accuracy is good and on center of target at closer distance. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to a different pistol.
Good tips. I'll get closer and although I'm not marksman I usually am in the x-ring with my other 9's.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am also surprised, but with the outstanding accuracy of the P320 Compact in both my 9mm and .45 ACP. Once I cut a hole in the target I just keep shooting through the hole. :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I have had a fe Sig (and other guns) that I just could not shoot with but were fine pistols. I cant hit the side of a barn with a P220 for some reason, but my P320 .45 is fantastic. I have found every one of mine to be far better shooters than I am.

Give it some time. Adjust your grip and watch the finger control. Something is just off. And when that is the case for me it is typically me.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Joe320 Sound more like the accuracy of the shooter with a new handgun is lacking . Assuming you have a 9mm shoot some 124or 147gr thru it if your using 115gr now and shoot only the p320 for a few hundred rounds . Might help you to see how well it shoots by shooting for a solid rest . or let a friend you respect have some trigger time with it . It is a combat sighted pistol meaning it shoot under the sights poa. That's correctable for you as that might matter .

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Finally got the 320 trigger problem squared away (see previous posts) but the accuracy of this gun leaves much to be desired. I shoot my Walther, Browning Hi-Power and Canik TP9SA much better. I can't even hit the paper with the Sig at 15 yards, prints high and low but never on the target. Any suggestions?
It's not the gun. Just food for thought. :cool:

Reactions: 669 and hardluk1

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Good tips. I'll get closer and although I'm not marksman I usually am in the x-ring with my other 9's.
I think you'll find that if you spend adequate time with the gun, getting to know it better, you will be very accurate with the gun. The gun is always more accurate than the shooter. It isn't that the gun is inaccurate. Take the time to get to know the gun. I'm sure if you do you won't be disappointed, and your outlook on the gun will change. :)

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you'll find that if you spend adequate time with the gun, getting to know it better, you will be very accurate with the gun. The gun is always more accurate than the shooter. It isn't that the gun is inaccurate. Take the time to get to know the gun. I'm sure if you do you won't be disappointed, and your outlook on the gun will change. :)
I took my time between shots since my original post and began having some success. I found that holding at six o'clock yielded better results, got two bullseyes out of one mag, which is acceptable. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Isn't it great when we can think our way thru a non issue before getting on the whinny train and bad mouthing something for our own failures !

Better shooting in the future .

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Isn't it great when we can think our way thru a non issue before getting on the whinny train and bad mouthing something for our own failures !

Better shooting in the future .
I don't think I was whining or bad-mouthing, merely looking for some guidance. I admit I'm not as good as some of you hotshots. :cool: I'm 75 now and while I can't shoot as good as I used to on the range I'm still able to fire more than blanks otherwise.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I picked up a FS P320 a couple weeks ago. Was shooting low or left (not low and left) when I first took it out. It wasn't until my Comp-Tac International holster arrived, and I started dry fire with the holster that it really clicked, and I started adjusting my grip. The P320 simply points different for me than my 226. The solution, or at least part of it so far, is a bit more trigger finger and more pressure with the heal of my support hand. It's better. (My eyes ain't what they used to be, and targets are a blur beyond 10 yards, so one-hole groups aren't there.) I've been mostly practicing now with 15 yard shots on the head of USPSA or IDPA target.

Jerry Miculek can pick up any gun and shoot it well right away. Us mortals have to practice with a new gun.

I've seen posts stating the #6 front sight shoots low and folks want a #8. (Sig seems to be random in which comes on a new gun.) The difference between #6 and #8 is 2 inches at 25 yards. Hitting low at 10 yards probably isn't the sights.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Good to hear that you are shooting your 320 better. I was right on target with both of mine but have shot some guns that I had to "get comfortable" with the gun and it's sights.
I've never figured out just what it is but sometimes it just takes a bit more range time with some guns. I hope you will enjoy your 320 more now and the accuracy continues to improve. As stated numerous times in your thread... it's rarely the gun. It's the shooter gun combo. And it's that way with every gun you shoot. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've posted this in other threads here also although some may think it's a waste of time/money but it helps me.

I bought a little cheap-o ($20 on amazon) laser sight to clamp on the rail, clamp it on and adjust the red dot to match the sight allignment for a 6oclcok hold at 10 yds, practice a little but of dry fire, start from low ready to on target, press the trigger and watch the Red dot til the click, observe your grip and the sights, build a muscle memory for point and shoot.

As said do this for a while dry firing, rack the slide, point and click. Watch what happens to the dot on paper, this can even be done at home before going to the range.

At the range the dot will show you any errors of compensating/anticipating the recoil ie: pushing the pistol forward or a torque in your grip method and yanking the trigger.

The cheap laser sight will eventually lose "zero" after a couple mags of ammo, but by then you should have a good rhythm of putting rounds on target.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
joe 320 Sorry you did not care for my last reply but I can be a bit to the point . Bottom line , the p320 was not the problem . Only a shooter that needed to take time get use to a new handgun and the minor differences from other models there use to . Enjoy your new pistol hopefully .

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interesting concept of the dry firing with a laser. I bought a green laser but after 2 rounds on the 45 decided to go WAY out of zero! Where it was showing while I held the dots on the bullseye wasn't even on the target. Needless to say, I don't use that.. LOL

Be REAL careful dry firing. A friend of mine that was an avid shooter shot the door frame of his front door when I was over visiting him. He was wiping down his weapons (cleaning) and then dry firing at the TV. I was in the way of the TV when he got done cleaning his .38 and put the rounds back in it and took aim at the door that was open. Hit is pretty good too! Pretty loud in that living room. Never dry fire at something really important. Most won't even dry fire until outdoors and at a range.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I took my time between shots since my original post and began having some success. I found that holding at six o'clock yielded better results, got two bullseyes out of one mag, which is acceptable. It's a keeper.
Excellent! I'm glad you were able to get the results you're looking for! Part of the fun in getting a new gun is learning it. I've found that sometimes even two guns of the same gun platform, meaning two different Glock 19s, can sometimes shoot a bit differently. Getting to know the weapon is all part of it. Another thing I learned the hard way is that trigger discipline, or the lack thereof, is the biggest culprit in poor marksmanship. Once we master that little bear we somehow, almost magically, become marksmen! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts