SIG Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to semi-automatic pistols and guns in general and made a simple mistake the second time I cleaned my P320C. I put the slide back on the frame without first putting in the takedown lever. I realized what I had done but the slide would not come back off the frame. I finally decided to try pulling the trigger which worked and allowed me to take the slide back off and put in the takedown lever and reassemble correctly. Everything seems fine now, I do hear a bit of a spring sound the very first time I dry fire after racking the slide that I don't remember hearing before, but honestly I have not dry fired much at all so I don't know if I just didn't notice it before. To all you gun pros, does what I describe sound like it could have cause any damage, or am I good to go?

I won't be making that mistake again, it scared me when the slide wouldn't come back off at first lol.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Doubt any real damage was done. I've done that before once or twice. Not a huge deal. When this happens, it seems to me that the slide gets stuck because the guide rod and recoil spring do not stay in place. They end up dipping into the grip module, since the takedown lever is not there to support it. In the past I've just stuck a pen or something into the slot of the takedown lever in order to push the guide rod and recoil spring back up and into place. The slide always seemed to come off easily after that.

But I am no pro. I'm sure (much smarter) forum members will have a better answer for you.

·
Registered
758 Posts
No damage, the "spring sound" is the striker being released...that is a true dry fire, when you pull the trigger after the first time without racking the slide you only hear the clicking which is no striker.

To get the full benefit of the practice dry firing you should partially rack the slide to reset the striker each time, otherwise the trigger press is much lighter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.