SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New to the forum, and my first Sig. Looking for recommendations on defensive ammo brands, and weights to try. I know I need to first hand run what I'm going to use through my pistol, but I'd like to get a baseline of what's been working out of the compact, so I don't waste a bunch of money on tons of different brands. Any info is appreciated!

· Registered
5,662 Posts
Welcome from NC. In my opinion I use basically the same for all 9mm. I use 124 grain or 147 grain mostly Fedral HST, Speer Gold Dots, and Hornady Critical Defense.

· Registered
206 Posts
There are many excellent defensive rounds and I haven't heard / read of the P320 chocking on any factory loads except for the occasional 115grain when the gun was new and stiff. You could try to buy the small box of rounds from a couple of manufactures such as Hornady, Speer, Federal, etc to try out. Stick with 124gr JHP for now.

Personally I EDC Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP. That's a good mature load thats been around for quite a while and used to be a favorite of LE and some of the US Federales..:).

What I really like about Speer is they also sell the "matching" FMJ training ammo as the Lawman brand. Supposedly the Lawman FMJ loads are as close to the characteristics of the Gold Dot JHP as you can get at a fraction of the cost. But thats just me. Everyone will have their favorite hardware.

· 🎖USAF Veteran
3,247 Posts
I shoot Fiocchi in both my 9s. I use 115gr FMJs at the range and carry 124 gr JHPs. They have been flawless for me.

· Registered
3,481 Posts
Welcome from Burnsville NC . I prefer underwood Bonded speer GD or XTP as there loads are hotter loads or Georgia arms with the same Bonded GD loads Plus GA makes the rounds to a few of our gun shows . They will be in Asheville on the 11th and 12th of march . HST from federal is also a very good load .

· Registered
74 Posts
Welcome from Northeast Tennessee, which is just over the state line from North Carolina.

Defensive ammunition, like the guns themselves, are just personal choices. In 9mm I have used Remington 124 grain Golden Saber for several years but am transitioning to 124 grain Gold Dots for the same reason as stated by MLC7 in post #4. Speer Lawman ammo is supposed to give about the same performance in a FMJ range load as the Gold Dots. I like it a lot for my range ammo and it's point of impact is almost identical to my Gold Dots in the same grain load.

Right now 9mm is reasonable priced and it is a good time to try out several loads to see which you like best.

Again, it's all personal choice and I do use the Federal HST and Hornady Critical Defense loads in calibers other than 9mm. Good stuff all of it.

· Registered
303 Posts
The nastiest one that I have seen lately is the Barnes TAC-XPD +P all flavors. Reminds me of the old Black Talon.
There are a lot of great defensive ammo. Do a little research online. Not on forums, very subjective. For example FBI protocol, one shot stops. Loads of info out there.
My recommendation, do not skimp when it comes to your life. And practice. Good luck.

· Registered
112 Posts
Bottom line is run what ever you choose that never malfunctions and you hit where you aim.
Simple as that but the cost may be a different story.
So what; just do it.

· Registered
9 Posts
I carry Speer Gold Dot 115 grain in my P320 Compact. I chose 115 grain for my carry ammo because most of the widely available practice ammo is 115 grain.
I'm with him

I ran 115gr target and Hornady. I'm not a pro by any means but I wouldn't have a great variation between your target and defense, for obvious reasons.

Welcome to the P320 club ... it's a great gun

· Registered
1,003 Posts
I almost exclusively carry 124 grain ammunition.

I carried 124gr Hydra Shoks for a while now. I love the rounds very much, but due to the lack of availability. I'm on the market.

I've been trying out, V Crown, Underwood, HST, Golden Sabre, Gold Dot. I've cut out Hornaday, and winchester from my selection. I'm finding that the 124 +P Gold Dot and the Sig V Crown 124 grain standard pressure has the same ballistics. It's weird. The v crown like some of the hornaday rounds. Definitely has more recoil, feels like shooting +P. Underwood is pretty much Speer bullets, loaded a bit hotter.

HST I'm on the fence about, because it expands really nicely. It's pretty too. However, I'm concerned about it's penetration through meat, bone, and thick winter clothing. I think it would make a perfect summer carry ammo without question. Which is something I liked about Hydra Shoks. It wouldn't expand as much and hit hard through thick winter clothing.

Golden Sabre is pretty popular up here, but expensive. $32 a box. Bleh...

But once I get paid and shoot more ribs and ham. I may pick my new ammo.

· Registered
262 Posts
I carry the SIG Sauer Elite V-Crown in both the 9mm and the .45. WICKED!! I live in the country and test out loads all the time. Either of them is extremely good at penetrating heavy denim, cloth, and then expanding as they were designed. Period. The V petals that develop as the mushrooming bullet is driving deeper and spinning would be devastating at cutting blood vessels and creating a permanent (as opposed to temporary) wound cavity.

Article here, with also links to their other offerings in .45, .380 and the 147 gr Elite V-Crown as well.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ammo-test-sig-sauer-elite-performance-v-crown-9mm/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.