SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There don't seem to be a lot of real-world reviews on the P320 X-Carry Legion, mostly just the usual press release stuff that came out a few months ago, and a smattering of silly "unboxing" vids, so I thought I'd start this here. If you are a X-Carry Legion owner, please feel free to contribute.

First off, I have to come clean and eat some crow - when this pistol first came out, I really didn't get it. It struck me as a "carry" gun that didn't really seem like it was designed for carry. The specs made it sound too heavy and it had a tall adjustable rear sight that seemed more appropriate for a range toy. On the surface this seemed like it was really a built as a competition pistol, but then why not just get the full size X-5 and the advantages of the longer barrel?

So I was at the LGS yesterday, traded something in and had a healthy credit to spend, and started looking through the displays. Not much was really grabbing me, but out of curiosity I asked to handle the X-Carry Legion. I've owned a first gen X-5 (pre-Legion) and a X-Compact in the past, and still own a X-Full RXP, so the X-grip is nothing new for me and I really like it. But what really surprised me as soon as I picked it up was the heft of it. I've gotten used to shooting a lot of comparatively lightweight polymer guns lately, and this really felt like I had just picked up an all steel pistol. But it didn't feel too heavy - it just felt really good and substantial. It felt like every other X-frame I've handled and like something new and different at the same time. I put it back down on the counter, and wandered around for a bit, but nothing interested me like that X-Carry Legion did.

The price was $899, and when you look at everything you're getting on this pistol, plus 3 mags with Henning Group baseplates, this really isn't an exorbitantly priced gun imo. With the store credit I already had, along with the fact that I already have a bunch of P320 mags and a holster that would work, it was a no-brainer.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

I threw on a Springer Precision extended mag release that I already had, and pulled the Romeo 1 Pro off my other P320 and went to the range. The optic only required minimal adjustment to be dead-on. I put 150 rounds of 115gr Winchester through it without issue. Recoil is significantly reduced by the weight of the frame, as expected. The closest thing I can compare it to would be shooting a steel P229 - very controllable, and while I never really let it rip on this first range session, I can see how this can be run as fast as you want to take it.

The trigger is noticeably better than a standard, out-of-the-box P320 trigger. The take-up is clean and short, with a crisp break and minimal reset travel. The mushy creepiness I've felt in standard P320 triggers isn't there. Trigger weight averaged 2lbs 12oz. I realize some may feel that's too light for a "carry" pistol, but I'd say that's largely a matter of personal preference.

These tungsten-infused X-frames are really pretty interesting, and if you're a traditional metal pistol guy, but are curious to try out a polymer striker, this might just be the way to go for you - it really is a unique beast that doesn't exactly feel like you're handling a plastic gun. While I wouldn't opt for the X-Carry Legion as my CCW choice, I can definitely see it as an open carry/duty pistol. It's not light, but it isn't so heavy that carrying it would be a chore with a good holster/belt combo. And of course, the beauty of the P320 system is that you could always just have a spare non-tungsten grip module for when you plan to carry it for extended periods of time, and do a module swap in seconds.

So far, I'm really impressed with the X-Carry Legion, though I'm afraid it might not really 'take off,' because too many people look at it and jump to the same conclusions I initially did. I'm of a very different mind now, and I think that if you wanted a ripper race gun that isn't so specialized that it loses its practicality as carry/defense option, then this pistol may be really hard to beat. It can excel at both equally.

Love to hear other's experiences as well, and I'll keep posting updates as I spend more time with this pistol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the review - I've been thinking about one of these as the base for some fun with a silencer. I held one at the LGS the other day, and loved the crisp short takeup of the flat trigger setup. The heft feels good, and the wide magwell opening makes it feel like it would be great for competition and range time. The magwell opening looks like it would make it hard to CCW avoid printing...

Looking forward to hearing from others

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The magwell opening looks like it would make it hard to CCW avoid printing...
Yeah, I would remove the magwell if it was going to be a dedicated CCW. But it is only held in place with one Allen bolt, and can easily be removed in seconds. Or, like I mentioned above you could just have a second, normal grip module for CCW. It's literally a 30-second swap.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My question is whether the P320 X Carry Legion also has a bull barrel like the longer X5-Legion.
It does not - it has a standard P320 4.6" barrel. Which personally, I'm glad about, since I don't think more weight needs to be added to this pistol. If this was truly a dedicated comp pistol, it would make more sense, but then again, that's what the X-5 Legion is for.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Put a Griffin Armament Micro Comp on the X-Carry Legion. I did this for a few reasons:

• It's not much bigger than the thread protector, and I like the looks of it better
• It will work with the P320 holsters I already have
• It added almost no weight
• I've read a number of reviews that it is surprisingly effective for its size, with higher-power loads
• I was curious.

Mini Comp next to the stock thread protector, for scale:

I wanted to try some higher-pressure loads, since I didn't expect standard pressure 115 gr FMJs would do much to demonstrate the effectiveness of this little comp. So I grabbed a box of 124 gr +P NATO rounds out of the armory and gave them a try:

15 rounds @ 15 yds ^ (standing, freehand)

Shots were landing a bit high, which might have been because I dialed in the red dot last week with 115 gr standard pressure loads and/or that the +P rounds were just a higher POI. Either way, I'm satisfied with the group, for a pistol I'm shooting for the 2nd time and still getting used to.

So was the Mini Comp effective? I didn't shoot the X-Carry Legion with 124 +P loads previously without the comp to be able to do a true comparison, but I can say that these rounds felt exceptionally mild for +P and there was almost no muzzle rise to speak of. Could be the TXG frame was doing a great job of mitigating the recoil, or the Mini Comp was doing its job, but I have a feeling it was the combination of both.

Either way, I'm seriously impressed with this pistol. It is a real pleasure to shoot, and very 'solid' feeling. I shot my VP9 OR right before this, and while I've really enjoyed the VP9, there was just no comparison at all. This X-Carry Legion is probably the nicest striker pistol I've ever shot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for that write-up. I was not aware of the Micro comp. I'll have to look into that. I've only shot my X-Carry Legion twice so far but am doing pretty well with it compared to other pistols that I've owned for a while. I keep wanting to like my hammer fired pistols better, but I do just as well or better with this Legion and my Canik TP9SFX.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We must be brothers from another mother...I've got both an X-Carry Legion and a VP9 OR. Been thinking about picking up the Griffin Micro Comp for both since they're a relative bargain. I've got a Herrington Arms comp on mine mated to the full-size TXG grip module, and I'm loving it. Was thinking the micro comp to use in a carry configuration. Are these indexed? My initial thought is how does it work if gasses are pushed out in all directions if not indexed?

I have an X-Five Legion with an optic and TLR-1 and I'd think the X-Carry with the comp and no optic, no light shoots much flatter than the X-Five. Follow up shots are much easier.

Where did you get the micro comp? On Griffin's website it looks out of stock.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We must be brothers from another mother...I've got both an X-Carry Legion and a VP9 OR. Been thinking about picking up the Griffin Micro Comp for both since they're a relative bargain. I've got a Herrington Arms comp on mine mated to the full-size TXG grip module, and I'm loving it. Was thinking the micro comp to use in a carry configuration. Are these indexed? My initial thought is how does it work if gasses are pushed out in all directions if not indexed?

I have an X-Five Legion with an optic and TLR-1 and I'd think the X-Carry with the comp and no optic, no light shoots much flatter than the X-Five. Follow up shots are much easier.

Where did you get the micro comp? On Griffin's website it looks out of stock.
Sorry for the delayed response - been traveling and not on the inter webs much this past week. I got the GA Micro-Comp from Midway. Looks like they still have it in stock.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Updates:

Installed the R1P shroud. I don't intend for this to just be a range toy, and the extra protection the shroud provides is worth it. On sale @ Midway right now as well.

Installed the AC "Positive Reset" trigger return spring. As advertised, it definitely improves the reset and makes it a little more assertive. Doesn't add pull weight at all. Easy install (well, other than getting the #%$&ing trigger bar back into the peg on the trigger).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Morning....I am new to the forum and just purchased a new X-Carry Legion. I have only put 100 rounds through the gun so far and I really like it. I mounted a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it with a surefire light. I ordered one of the GA micro comps mentioned above so will be anxious to try that out once it arrives. So far very impressed with this pistol and happy with my purchase.

The one thing I could use help with is finding the right holster. Can you guys recommend holsters that will work great with this pistol? I am looking for OWB.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good Morning....I am new to the forum and just purchased a new X-Carry Legion. I have only put 100 rounds through the gun so far and I really like it. I mounted a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it with a surefire light. I ordered one of the GA micro comps mentioned above so will be anxious to try that out once it arrives. So far very impressed with this pistol and happy with my purchase.

The one thing I could use help with is finding the right holster. Can you guys recommend holsters that will work great with this pistol? I am looking for OWB.
I picked up the Mitch Rosen X5 Legion holster on the Sig site. It's a good OWB holster for my needs (range use).

·
Registered
28 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up the Mitch Rosen X5 Legion holster on the Sig site. It's a good OWB holster for my needs (range use).
I'm using two different holsters from Dara for my X-Carry Legion - one is designed for the X-Full with a Streamlight TLR-1, and the other is designed for the X-Carry, with an open bottom to accommodate the threaded barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using two different holsters from Dara for my X-Carry Legion - one is designed for the X-Full with a Streamlight TLR-1, and the other is designed for the X-Carry, with an open bottom to accommodate the threaded barrel.
Thanks Hammer, I will check them out too. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received the Griffin muzzle break but have not shot the pistol since getting that, I hope to soon. I also ended up ordering a Tier 1 concealment holster but I have not received it yet. It is a sweet pistol....very happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any updates on your x carry legion? Thinking of adding one to the stable.

thanks
Not really - with the holidays, travel, winter conditions at our outdoor range, etc I haven't had much of a chance to shoot in the last several weeks. But I'll keep this thread updated as I have new observations and anything else worth reporting. 👍

1 - 20 of 20 Posts