SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro:
Hello!
Just bought a P320, I got it in .40 Carry model...
Not sure if that was the right choice, or maybe should have gotten the Compact... my hands are big but not huge, mostly decided on it because I would rather later buy the compact frame and magazine and have 2 big mags and one small one, and for the range the bigger grip would be better...

Now off to the real question:

The other reason that I got it carry is that I actually want to have it with a compact slide and a subcompact frame. And maybe Ill get lucky and find a 9mm full size slide with barrel and spring and it wont be as expensive as an x change kit.

But my question is, will the recoil of the .40 on a subccompact frame+compact slide, be too much?

I have handled 1911 .45ACP in a lightweigth pistol, and a .40 S&W on a full size M&P, or a shield in 9mm, dont know if any of those will compare. Any of you know the answer?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Recoil sensitivity is an individual thing. No one can answer this question for sure except you.

But since a SC frame will only cost you about $45, it won't be expensive to find out. And if you find out you don't like it, you can recover most of your expense by selling the SC frame in the Classifieds here.

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Registered
118 Posts
Intro:
Hello!
Just bought a P320, I got it in .40 Carry model...
Not sure if that was the right choice, or maybe should have gotten the Compact... my hands are big but not huge, mostly decided on it because I would rather later buy the compact frame and magazine and have 2 big mags and one small one, and for the range the bigger grip would be better...

Now off to the real question:

The other reason that I got it carry is that I actually want to have it with a compact slide and a subcompact frame. And maybe Ill get lucky and find a 9mm full size slide with barrel and spring and it wont be as expensive as an x change kit.

But my question is, will the recoil of the .40 on a subccompact frame+compact slide, be too much?

I have handled 1911 .45ACP in a lightweigth pistol, and a .40 S&W on a full size M&P, or a shield in 9mm, dont know if any of those will compare. Any of you know the answer?
Thanks!
Evening Daagak01

Recoil is kind of subjective & also depends on what bullet weight & load power that you shoot out of it.

I can't speak directly to the 320sc in .40 but I winter carry a Glock 27 in .40.

The Glock has a lower bore center & soaks up recoil about as good as any small striker fired gun but it CAN be a pawfull with heavy bullets & full house loads.

If I shoot lighter bullet rounds with watered down FBI equivalent loads then it isn't too bad. If I shoot 180 grain bullets at handload power or boutique loads from the major power round manufactures then it has a very snappy kick.

I'm pretty immune to recoil as I have been shooting for 60+ years with some heavy hitters but my second or third rounds on target are notably slower with heavy bullet high power loads in the G 27. (lots of muzzle flip)

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I like and carry a p320 compact with a small compact grip as my primary carry gun . It conceals well under a button down at 3:15 and it still offers a long enough grip for most peoples hands . I do have several full size mags that serves as backup carry mags .

In a smaller 3.6 class pistol like the p320SC I would rather have it in 9mm . Try to keep round count up and keep split times higher and accuracy better with a 9mm over a 40sw in a smaller carry handgun and carry nakd full size mags as back up again , no x grip thangy !

MY smaller carry is a 3.5" 12 round double stack 9mm but not a sig .

After all no normal defensive cartridge be it a 9mm up to 45 is a sure fire one shot man stopper so carry and use what you can shoot accurately and quickly in a given size handgun .

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Evening Daagak01

Recoil is kind of subjective & also depends on what bullet weight & load power that you shoot out of it.

I can't speak directly to the 320sc in .40 but I winter carry a Glock 27 in .40.

The Glock has a lower bore center & soaks up recoil about as good as any small striker fired gun but it CAN be a pawfull with heavy bullets & full house loads.

If I shoot lighter bullet rounds with watered down FBI equivalent loads then it isn't too bad. If I shoot 180 grain bullets at handload power or boutique loads from the major power round manufactures then it has a very snappy kick.

I'm pretty immune to recoil as I have been shooting for 60+ years with some heavy hitters but my second or third rounds on target are notably slower with heavy bullet high power loads in the G 27. (lots of muzzle flip)
I too lean toward heavier loads in my Glock 27 which is a little snappy. My new HK P2000SK in .40 is a lot easier to handle and quicker on follow ups.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've tried the compact slide on my subcompact with 9MM, 40 and 357 sig.
9mm is easy, 40 is a bit tough but manageable. 357sig is a handful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.