SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to reloading and was testing about 20 rounds today in my P320. After firing about 15, one round failed to fully open the slide and the slide became stuck in the frame about 1 cm short of fully opening. The spent case did not eject and was still being held in the slide.

At this point I stopped shooting, bagged my stuff and came home (unfortunately did not save case to see what it looked like). When I got home, I tapped the back of the slide with a mallet and it returned to battery, however I cannot rack it back completely, the slide continues to get stuck every time in that same spot and requires a tap to bring it release it. Looking for suggestions on how to restore full range of motion on the slide.

I am not sure if this issue is related to my reloads or the fact that I was cleaning the pistol over the weekend and had the FCG out, and attempted to put the slide on with the take down lever out of the gun, which led to it's own set of issues in getting the gun back together.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am new to reloading and was testing about 20 rounds today in my P320. After firing about 15, one round failed to fully open the slide and the slide became stuck in the frame about 1 cm short of fully opening. The spent case did not eject and was still being held in the slide.

At this point I stopped shooting, bagged my stuff and came home (unfortunately did not save case to see what it looked like). When I got home, I tapped the back of the slide with a mallet and it returned to battery, however I cannot rack it back completely, the slide continues to get stuck every time in that same spot and requires a tap to bring it release it.

I am not sure if this issue is related to my reloads or the fact that I was cleaning the pistol over the weekend and had the FCG out, and attempted to put the slide on with the take down lever out of the gun, which led to it's own set of issues in getting the gun back together.
Not sure if this helps but there's an old Asian proverb: "Sum ting wong"

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
After firing about 15, one round failed to fully open the slide and the slide became stuck in the frame
one round failed to fully open the slide
What do you mean?
Please elaborate.

* The Round Fired?
* Did the empty Case eject?
* Or was the empty case stuck in the barrel?

the slide became stuck in the frame
Do you mean that the slide became stuck on the FCU?
The frame is the Grip

When you forget to install the Take Down Lever..

As long as you were able to separate the FCU from the Slide and then re-assemble correctly with the Take Down lever you should be good to go.
I think everything is related to your reloads..
am new to reloading and was testing about 20 rounds
I would think that when iiit comes to reloads you best know what you are doing or things can get messy quick.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Did you have a squib round? How did you get the spent casing out? You're new to reloading? A little bit of youtube certification can cause all kinds of problems regardless of the topic. Experimenting with weapons or reloads that one isn't familiar with at a better than average level is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have a squib round? How did you get the spent casing out? You're new to reloading? A little bit of youtube certification can cause all kinds of problems regardless of the topic. Experimenting with weapons or reloads that one isn't familiar with at a better than average level is an accident waiting to happen.
No, it isn't a squib, the barrel is clear. When fired, the slide came back to within about a CM of full extension and became hung up on something, stopping any further progress. The case at this point was completely out of the chamber but not yet ejected so I just had to flick it to get it out of the slide.

With regard to being new to reloading, I fully appreciate the need for education and caution. I am an experienced shooter and have been planning to start reloading for myself for years, and have helped friends with reloading, and with Covid finally have the time and motivation to jump in (we all have to start somewhere). I have purchased and read the reloading manuals, and was using a published recipe at the minimum starting charge level. I did mention it here because it is one of the variables that could have caused this issue, though if so I would think it is because the charge tended towards under powered rather than over powered. I had chrono'd a couple dozen of this same batch over the weekend and was getting 1050-60 fps so would think that is more than enough to cycle the gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean?
Please elaborate.

* The Round Fired?
* Did the empty Case eject?
* Or was the empty case stuck in the barrel?

Do you mean that the slide became stuck on the FCU?
The frame is the Grip

When you forget to install the Take Down Lever..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncK4XYuSm0

As long as you were able to separate the FCU from the Slide and then re-assemble correctly with the Take Down lever you should be good to go.
I think everything is related to your reloads..

I would think that when iiit comes to reloads you best know what you are doing or things can get messy quick.
Thanks, yes the round fired and hit the target and was accurate as well so no odd characteristics in flight.

The empty case did not eject as the slide never completed it's rearward motion (it stopped and became stuck about 1 cm before full extension. I presume it is stuck on the FCU somehow but not really sure). The case did get extracted from the chamber but not ejected. It was still being held on by the slide when the failure occurred, and I was simply able to flick it off with my finger.

The pistol had been cleaned when I forgot to install take down lever (this was last week . I did reinstall it and function check the pistol, and it was fine. In between then and the failure, I probably fired 50 rounds of reloads over the weekend, and an additional 15 yesterday when this failure occurred.

At this point, my primary issue is getting the slide function restored so I can tear it down and visually inspect it and see if I can determine the cause of the failure. Once I can do that I'll be in a better place to determine if my issue is caused by an incorrect reassembly or the reloads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could the ejector on your FCU be bent or broken? There are several channels and holes in the slide where the ejector may have lodged itself just enough to cause a hang up. A quick glance indicates that there is potential it could hang up in the location you described.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Would you be able to take the rear slide cover plate off, get the striker and extractor plunger out? And then see what happens?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Well, my suggestion is to try some 124gr factory ammo, Winchester Nato if available. Muzzle velocity should be about 100 fps faster than your hand loads.

Of course, once you get your 320 back together.

Another method to disassemble in your case is if you can fully rack and lock the slide, you can also simply remove the slide cap and the remove the striker.

Good luck

·
Registered
846 Posts
If it was an AR I'd say it was a popped primer. Squibs usually don't eject the case in many instances. Sounds like the extractor was holding on to the case rim. Not a big deal.

If something was damaged during the incorrect reassembly it would have shown up early in the firing sequences.

I'd disassemble and completely disassemble the handgun. Clean it completely. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Then properly reassemble it and function test. No need to fire any rounds at this point.

If the condition continues contact Customer Service for repair.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If it was an AR I'd say it was a popped primer. Squibs usually don't eject the case in many instances. Sounds like the extractor was holding on to the case rim. Not a big deal.

If something was damaged during the incorrect reassembly it would have shown up early in the firing sequences.

I'd disassemble and completely disassemble the handgun. Clean it completely. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Then properly reassemble it and function test. No need to fire any rounds at this point.

If the condition continues contact Customer Service for repair.
I haven't had a squib with a rifle load but so far I'm up to four squibs shooting .45ACP rounds from FedArm. Each time the casing ejected from my Sig P220. I don't doubt what you're saying with ARs and squibs I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think just because a casing ejects that they can't have a squib. Strange pop, and or, strange recoil and not seeing a new whole in the target are still the best ways to immediately tell you might have a squib so that you know to stop firing and inspect the pistol.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
How about some pictures of where the Slide is.

If the Slide is not locked back all the way I have heard of people hitting the Slide forward with their Palm pretty hard to dislodge it and drive it to Battery.
Like a quick glancing hit with the Palm of your hand and knocking the Stuck Slide forward to Battery.

I do not know which P320 you have...Here is a Video about the X-5 or slides that have a Optics screw hole by the FCU Disconnect Upgrade Groove cut into the Slide by the Striker..

Next thought is to remove the Slide Rear Plate and Striker and see if you can remove the Slide without the Striker..
OR
Get the Slide all the way back and remove like normal with Takedown Lever rotated down.

Slide Stuck on another thread..

https://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-p320-x-5-pistols/348134-slide-stuck-after-reassemble-please-help.html

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had a similar experience with some reloads I was given several years ago. My slide was stuck as well. It turned out I had a squib round and the casing ejected. 2 PD armorers tried to fix it and gave up. It was sent in to Sig and it turns out the barrel was ballooned out about of the third of the way down. Sig had to take it apart and I had to buy a new barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
* Other videos that I have seen is to hold the Gun Grip up... Slide gripped firmly in your hand and then hit the Grip with your other hand.

* Pulling the Trigger lowers the Sear and will let the Striker go by.

* Will the Slide move in any direction?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts