SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents--Army guy and new here so please let me know if I need to move this post. I am currently looking at purchasing a P320 due to the Army selecting that platform for future fieldings. I like to know the ends and outs of the weapons I am going to combat with. I am curious what your input would be and if any of you have some good review sites to help me select the model for me.

Uses:
Home defense, possible concealed carry (usual concealed carry is a Shield .40 with extended grip mags), range time, pig hunting--I owb carry when I pig hunt as a back up.

Other info needed for input:
I am 5'11" and weigh 220 so I am not a small guy to say the least.
I have relatively large hands as in my P226 fits my hands just fine. Must have the extended grip for my Shield otherwise it doesn't fit my hand well.
I am prefer iron sights and am not a big light/laser guy--I have a few but they limit the number of holsters you can get for that particular weapon. With that said I am open to red dot sights etc.

Let me know what you think and please provide links to reviews if you have them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
First...thank you for your service.

Since you mentioned possible CC, I'd recommend a 320 compact. Then pick up a large carry frame and you'd be good to go for both CC, home defense plus have a frame that fits someone with larger hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First...thank you for your service.

Since you mentioned possible CC, I'd recommend a 320 compact. Then pick up a large carry frame and you'd be good to go for both CC, home defense plus have a frame that fits someone with larger hands.
I am just curious, if I had not said concealed carry would you still recommend the compact?

Also do you know of a video/site that explains the switch between frames? I have heard you can do this but I am not really sure how that works. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a compact & it fits me well. I'm about the same size as you and use large to do size gloves. The 320 is good that you can buy extra grip modules to meet your needs. To me the compact is a good start- the slide can fit a sub compact grip as well as the carry grip, getting the a great deal of flexibility.

There is no limitation IMHO with the compact as a house gun either. If you think you need more rounds, the full size mag works in the compact grip as well.

Good luck & from an old retired soldier to one serving- "Hooah"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a compact & it fits me well. I'm about the same size as you and use large to do size gloves. The 320 is good that you can buy extra grip modules to meet your needs. To me the compact is a good start- the slide can fit a sub compact grip as well as the carry grip, getting the a great deal of flexibility.

There is no limitation IMHO with the compact as a house gun either. If you think you need more rounds, the full size mag works in the compact grip as well.

Good luck & from an old retired soldier to one serving- "Hooah"
Hooah! Thanks for the info. I was originally leaning toward the carry as it seemed like the grip would fit better with my hand size, but everyone is suggesting the compact with a second frame purchase.

Does this second frame purchase essentially create a new pistol (different SNs)? As stated I hear you can switch the slides to different frames but I guess I have to see a video or well documented site to understand this process.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello and thanks for your service. The FCU (fire control unit) is the serialized part. The frame and slide are just parts to add on and switch. So to answer your question. No it is not a separate gun rather s grip module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
Big welcome from MO. Glad to have you here.

I will dissent from the group here and toss in my vote for the Carry version. Personally, it fits my hand better in terms of balance, and I appreciate the 17 round mag capacity in 9mm. Also, my frame is close to yours. I used a Compact as my primary EDC for many years. Now, after using Carry model for a while, the Compact now feels a bit short in grip length.

However, I will agree that the compact gives you a bit more versatility. If you start with a compact, you can just run a 17 round mag anyway (with an x grip adapter) and that will add some grip length (functionally giving you a Carry model).

As for home defense, I think any of the models will suffice.

Also the grip swap is very easy - roughly a two minute process.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
codeman224 With the p320 have different size grip/frames you can make the p320 fit different hand sized but as they get larger they also get wider . I'm fine shooting a typical 9mm or 40sw classic da sa sig too but I carry my p320c 40 with a small compact grip/frame for better concealment .
Videos not close enough for good detail but covers it easy and quick to swap frames
. Look around you tube , there all sorts of videos there on the p320 -

Your in better shape than I am . A carried my p320 for 2 years in an old favorite Comp-Tac Neutral iwb at 3:15 with a little bit of forward cant and it conceals under a T shirt that fits .

I carry full size mags as back up but don't use or need the Xgrip adaptor on them and the pistol handle the hottest bought or hand loads very well . snug well supported chamber are easy on brass too .

Triggers a bit different from other striker fired pistols . Most have a 6.5lb pull weight , 5 lbs take up to a rather solid wall then add an additional 1.5lbs to fire with a nice short reset . Easy to shoot well controlled and accurate groups when need be . There are a couple of trigger kit options out now but you may want to stay box stock to feel like a service pistol .

Some people have trigger bit issues most don't so that's something you'll have to determine your self . I never felt trigger bit .

My pistol has sig's stock night sights , just a old school base tritium sight and that works fine for me .

I don't shoot 180gr 40 ammo . I have shoot enough 165 to ok with it but I tend to stay with 155gr and practice ammo is a coated SWC design and it handles a 1300fps load very well too .

Now buy away , You'll like it .

·
Registered
230 Posts
Codeman- believe your Q was answered about the interchangeability of grips and S/Ns. I'll leave you with one last bit of guidance- if you can rent / borrow one of each & shoot them. While we may be of similar size, guns & grips sizes are like shoes. What fits me fine, may not fit you due to "man and machine interface" shooting styles, experiences, and intended purposes. Only you can determine what fits you and your needs.

Good luck- you've decided on a solid gun from a reputable manufacturer. Get the version that best suits you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
codeman224 With the p320 have different size grip/frames you can make the p320 fit different hand sized but as they get larger they also get wider [...]

Now buy away , You'll like it .
Thanks for all that info, it will be extremely useful. I do appreciate it and after watching that video I understand the switching of the frames now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Codeman- believe your Q was answered about the interchangeability of grips and S/Ns. I'll leave you with one last bit of guidance- if you can rent / borrow one of each & shoot them. While we may be of similar size, guns & grips sizes are like shoes. What fits me fine, may not fit you due to "man and machine interface" shooting styles, experiences, and intended purposes. Only you can determine what fits you and your needs.

Good luck- you've decided on a solid gun from a reputable manufacturer. Get the version that best suits you.
I completely agree with you. I will try to find one I can rent. I love my P226 which is why the P320 will be my next pistol purchase. I asked on here to get a general idea of where to start looking at size. I do appreciate the feedback from everyone.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Welcome from St. Louis, MO and not to sound like a broken record, thank you for your service. Please stay safe out there!!
I would suggest buying a compact or carry. They both have the same length barrel, so with a grip swap you can change it from a carry to compact or vice versa. I've also used the compact/carry slide on a subcompact frame. That's a pretty nice combo too. If you buy a subcompact, you are pretty much stuck with subcompact because the barrel will be too short for the larger frames. You could however buy an x-change kit for ~$400 and choose a larger slide/barrel/grip/magazine if you want. I would probably look at a full size if I planned to use it for home self defense and shooting at the range.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It sounds as if you have roughly the same size hands as I do. I have a SIG P229 but have shot P226s and find either comfortable. The medium sized grip module of the P320 feels quite similar to my P229, or at least as similar as any polymer-frame pistol I have handled.

For most of the various model options of the P320 (subcompact, compact, carry, full-size) there are three different grip modules available: small, medium, large. This may not be true for the subcompact as I have only seen small and medium size modules for that. The pistols ship with the medium-sized grip module except for the subcompact which seems to ship with the small. New grip modules can be purchased for around $35-40 although sometimes you have to search a bit to find one in stock. The grip modules become larger in both a side-to-side and front-to-back dimension as the sizes increase.

I find that the compact grip module is just long enough to allow me to get a full three finger grip on the pistol but my pinky finger is half resting on the magazine base plate. The grip module on my full-size P320 allows a full three finger grip without contacting the magazine base plate. The medium grip module works well for me. It is possible that you might feel happier with the large.

No P320 is going to be as easy to conceal as an M&P Shield, not even the P320 subcompact with the small grip module. The overall height is similar but the P320SC is significantly longer, heavier, and most importantly, wider than the Shield.

Try to at least handle the full-size and compact models of the P320. Some people have complained that the full-size feels "top heavy". I have not felt it so, but it is a pretty large pistol. If you do not intend to conceal the pistol you might find that you prefer the longer sight radius of the full-size, so long as you don't mind the added weight, especially if you intend to use it for hunting.

I own a full-size P320 in 45 ACP which I use as a home defense pistol, as well as a compact 9mm P320. I do not own a subcompact P320, but I do own a 9mm subcompact P250 which has identical dimensions and identical grip module and magazines as a subcompact P320.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts