SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read the posts I could find on the forum, saw that the two screws are SAE 3/32 Allen, applied a little heat for the loctite from the factory, and.... may have a stripped the screws...

I didn't try to continue forcing the issue repeatedly, but I felt some slipping (though with how small the screws are an how deep, I coulda just been slipping out). I was thinking of trying again using a t-handle allen wrench or perhaps getting an extended socket driver.

any suggestions? wisdom? should I just stop before I really screw it up? do folks have experience dealing with this? has anyone involved sig CS? or should i try a local gunsmith to get em drilled out?

save me from myself!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
So I read the posts I could find on the forum, saw that the two screws are SAE 3/32 Allen, applied a little heat for the loctite from the factory, and.... may have a stripped the screws...

I didn't try to continue forcing the issue repeatedly, but I felt some slipping (though with how small the screws are an how deep, I coulda just been slipping out). I was thinking of trying again using a t-handle allen wrench or perhaps getting an extended socket driver.

any suggestions? wisdom? should I just stop before I really screw it up? do folks have experience dealing with this? has anyone involved sig CS? or should i try a local gunsmith to get em drilled out?

save me from myself!

Problem is, SIG has seem to use two different screws. Mine were Torx screws and came out very easy. See with a light and magnification to see which style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is, SIG has seem to use two different screws. Mine were Torx screws and came out very easy. See with a light and magnification to see which style.

I'll check it out again, but pretty sure it's allen. so small it almost looks rounded.

did you have to do any tricks? heating? throwing in the freezer?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I'll check it out again, but pretty sure it's allen. so small it almost looks rounded.

did you have to do any tricks? heating? throwing in the freezer?

That small of Allen can be tough. You need a high quality wrench that is sharp. If you round them out, your screwed. Everyone told me 3/32. SIG confirmed both. Once I switched it was easy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That small of Allen can be tough. You need a high quality wrench that is sharp. If you round them out, your screwed. Everyone told me 3/32. SIG confirmed both. Once I switched it was easy

Yikes. Well fingers crossed I'm not mailing this off somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those keeping score at home...

The answer is:

GET THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB. I tried to use a cheap allen wrench to make it happen and nearly stripped em out. Fortunately, I didn't quite **** up too badly and got a set of Bondhus T handled wrenches and worked like a dream.

3/32 SAE was the correct fit for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts