SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to have some custom slide milling done on my P320 RX full size.

I am thinking about the look of the X five with the 3 cuts in the top of the slide (I realize the cuts would be smaller for the shorter slide).

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? Or have had any done and had anything to share. I like it being seem from the side, but the shape and lettering make that a little more challenging...the Vtac look is the best for that IMO, and I haven't ruled out both top and sides, but that might be starting to remove too much.

Before any kill joys start asking/poopooing...I like the looks, and like making my guns my own, I won't ask you to pay for it or do yours. No offense, I know this forum has less of that sort of thing than others (why I like here best) but just thought I would nip it just in case..

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
You may find those "cuts" maybe done as a weight reduction from an engineering point of view to meet a basic weight then the designers did it so it looked purdy to buyers !!

There are weight reducing cuts on the underside of our normal p320's . the 5" barrel might have to be done a bit differently so now is purdy on top instead of doing it underneath only ?? Just a guess .

Remember it will have no warranty if you mess with yours .

It would be interesting to find any one willing to do that type work to a standard shorter barrel p320 that did not also have some barrel porting involved to reduce PL .

You have to expect some flack too. I rather have a tool preform better than look better . In a holster they all look the same .

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may find those "cuts" maybe done as a weight reduction from an engineering point of view to meet a basic weight then the designers did it so it looked purdy to buyers !!

There are weight reducing cuts on the underside of our normal p320's . the 5" barrel might have to be done a bit differently so now is purdy on top instead of doing it underneath only ?? Just a guess .
Yes that's why they are called lightening cuts, they lighten the slide.

Remember it will have no warranty if you mess with yours .
It will have no warranty if the cuts have anything to do with whatever might happen. if the cuts have no contributing cause it will still be warrantied. That is true with any warranty, even if a manufacturer tries to say differently.

It would be interesting to find any one willing to do that type work to a standard shorter barrel p320 that did not also have some barrel porting involved to reduce PL .
do a quick search you will find dozens immediately and at least hundreds with a deeper search

You have to expect some flack too. I rather have a tool preform better than look better . In a holster they all look the same .
Uh, obviously a do expect some flack that's why I addressed it in my opening post. But really no need for it...Every thought anyone has doesn't have to be expressed.

It's a gun forum...I will never understand why so many feel the need to comment negatively on things they wouldn't do. Go to a car forum, and folks are customizing in every way under the sun, and mostly others find it interesting and like seeing more just for entertainment value...gun forums, it's others trying to shut down anything they don't see the value in, or can't afford, or boss won't let them...or whatever...and then they know nothing about the subject, and post things like above,"It would be interesting to find any one willing to do that type work to a standard shorter barrel p320 that did not also have some barrel porting involved to reduce PL ." and there many places that customize slides this way. Just read about it, learn and gain the experience, or ignore it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will it shoot any better with those cuts?
For speed shooting the Slide will cycle faster...but I would never be able to see it, or benefit from it. It's just looks and make it mine for me.

Reactions: SigNewb and Lane73

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It's a gun forum...I will never understand why so many feel the need to comment negatively on things they wouldn't do. Go to a car forum, and folks are customizing in every way under the sun, and mostly others find it interesting and like seeing more just for entertainment value...gun forums, it's others trying to shut down anything they don't see the value in, or can't afford, or boss won't let them...or whatever...and then they know nothing about the subject, and post things like above,"It would be interesting to find any one willing to do that type work to a standard shorter barrel p320 that did not also have some barrel porting involved to reduce PL ." and there many places that customize slides this way. Just read about it, learn and gain the experience, or ignore it.
Yea, gotta call foul on that first comment. I end up on a lot of forums (guns, cars, bikes) and what you gotta remember is that it is the interwebs. If you come here without a thick skin you will be forever unhappy and bullied.

As far as this forum, what I can say is that I have encountered a highly reduced amount of duchery or "A" hatted'ness than most.

I think what you may perceive as negativity is really more that many of us have been there done that enough to, possibly, want to provide "constructive criticism". Take it as such and move on, do what you want, its your stuff, your money and put no stock in what you believe has no value for you and your situation.

Many of the comments also may come from a desire to see you keep from potentially ruining something (not that what you are talking about would), reducing its life, causing repair issues or creating a hazardous situation.

I am actually pretty thankful for the guys here who have helped me pull my head out of my posterior from time to time with their sage advice.

At the end of the day, do what ever you want. Like I said its your money and your stuff. Some will like it some will hate it. I like nightmare builds but many don't.

Ultimately enjoy it the way you want to.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yea, gotta call foul on that first comment. I end up on a lot of forums (guns, cars, bikes) and what you gotta remember is that it is the interwebs. If you come here without a thick skin you will be forever unhappy and bullied.

As far as this forum, what I can say is that I have encountered a highly reduced amount of duchery or "A" hatted'ness than most.

I think what you may perceive as negativity is really more that many of us have been there done that enough to, possibly, want to provide "constructive criticism". Take it as such and move on, do what you want, its your stuff, your money and put no stock in what you believe has no value for you and your situation.

Many of the comments also may come from a desire to see you keep from potentially ruining something (not that what you are talking about would), reducing its life, causing repair issues or creating a hazardous situation.

I am actually pretty thankful for the guys here who have helped me pull my head out of my posterior from time to time with their sage advice.

At the end of the day, do what ever you want. Like I said its your money and your stuff. Some will like it some will hate it. I like nightmare builds but many don't.

Ultimately enjoy it the way you want to.
I agree for the most part. This forum has less than most and I should have made that clear in my response. My skin is plenty thick, and I have no problem with the Been there done that, here is my advice...for that matter I want it. It's the folks that post and have never been there and never done that, and just want to hate on an idea with no experience or even remote knowledge. It's pretty evident when someone "has doubts about finding a shop to mill a slide"...they have no clue, but act like they are an authority. I knew the hateers might come, that's why in my original post I mentioned it, trying to curb it, and just keep the thread on topic. My main reason for even responding, is to call out, that someone has posted with wrong or no information, so maybe they won't do it to someone who is new here and scare them off, or to let others know it's not accurate info. Someone else comes along who has no experience with it, sees that and gives up because he saw on SigTalk that he won't be able to find a shop to do it...when in fact there are a lot of shops that do it.

Thanks for the feedback..it's appreciated. With a Name like RatBikeRod, you better like nightmare builds. LOL

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
stevd13 You seem to sound off like your know so much about this why ask anything ?? It only matters to you after all so get on with it .

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stevd13 You seem to sound off like your know so much about this why ask anything ?? It only matters to you after all so get on with it .
I have had slides milled before, and have researched.

Mostly, as the OP states, I have decided to get it done, and I wouldn't do that if I hadn't done my homework..wondering if there are any other ideas I may have missed.

LOL, It only matters to me, and I should "get on with it" yet you felt the need to chime in :D:lol::D:lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?
Have you seen this thread? I imagine that the milling done on my slide from Sig would reduce the weight nearly the same as what you are planning on having taken off from the outside. My pistol has worked flawlessly with the lighter slide.

Good luck. I'm interested in seeing what it looks like afterwards.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My Taurus Millennium GII in 9mm has factory "lightening" work of a sorts. If you look at the top of the slide they removed material on each side of the slide, and near the front and it made it more streamlined. Everything was smooth and rounded and I really like the idea. Anything to reduce the weight of carry is a boon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts