SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see from my sig (pun not intended), I have bought into the P320 platform. I also have an X-Five on standing order from my LGS.

I know a lot of folks talk favorably (rightly so) about the modularity of the P320 platform. But, am I alone in saying it doesn't matter to me?

I shoot 9mm and .45ACP. Clearly I'm not X-changing those two calibers.

I've bought the various P320 sizes I want, because I want the gun that I want to use ready to go.

Again, I think the modularity is really cool, just not a selling point for me. I just love the way the P320 fits in my hand and shoots. Anyone else in the same boat?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All in on P320

I've decided to sell off my Glock 17, Glock 21 and S&W Shield 45 because I'm so into this platform.

Reactions: Lancer L5 AWM

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I think the modularity falls in the category of "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it". will likely require us to change our mindset about the "need" for different weapons to fully appreciate it. I know there are countries where one is only allowed one gun, and the original Sig 250 was made for those places to be able to change out frames and even calibers and still only have "one gun". Modulartity is certainly not new--I have a Dan Wesson .44 mag from the 70s that has interchangeable barrels (for those times you need a snub nosed .44 magnum) and although I rarely change out the lengths, I do sometimes. As a red blooded American, I usually just grab a different weapon for different uses, but I can certainly see the use for modularity in the right circumstance and with the right mindset.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It would be cooler if there was actually an aftermarket on grips and slides and such but given that you can't even buy the stock grips it's pretty pointless. Pretty much the only aftermarket part is a trigger and you have two options there.

I was hoping to see some custom slides and custom grip modules and hell even some barrels but the outlook is not so good so far.

The nice thing is how simple the disassembly and cleaning is, though. Take the slide off, pull out the fcu, go to town with grease, wipe down barrel and slide, reassemble. Full clean done in 10 minutes while watching Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
🎖USAF Veteran
3,158 Posts
I bought a 9mm subcompact and had no intention of changing anything about it. I did get a couple of compact 15 round mags and X-Grip spacers for it. I sold a Ruger Police Service Six 357 magnum to get the funds to buy my SP2022, also in 9mm. I was deliberately reducing the number of different calibers. So I'm with you.

Reactions: WolfKing

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
I have yet to warm up to the P320. I don't like polymer framed, striker fired guns.

The Classic P-Series SIGs are perfect.

The modular guns make you buy too many parts to have too many different versions.

Everyone seems to love them, but no interest here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my 9mm Carry primarily because I really liked shooting it at the range while I was trying out different pistols. I waited until I found a great price on it, and bought it. The fact that it was a modular weapon wasn't a determining factor, but it falls into the nice to have category for new gun owners like myself....I have options down the road if I want them.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Modularity means nothing to me, it's been available to some degree or another with many firearms for many years. Ergonomics and trigger mean much more to me. That's why I no longer own a P320.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Didn't buy for modularity either. Wanted to try out SIG'S quality, and I prefer striker fired pistols. I agree 100% on the comments in regards of ease of cleaning. The only benefit the modularity will provide my P320 Carry in 9mm, is if they make the X Carry grip module available. I would absolutely love the grip profile. I was going to order an X Carry, but am way to impatient to wait. Plus I really wasn't needing the slide cut and x-ray sights. I prefer ameriglo hackathorns anyway :)

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I think the modularity works as a marketing tool. I had several p250 formats, 3 as I recall, 9, 357 and 45 and put the modularity concept to work more because I could interchange the 3 calibers in one FCU. I sold the 250 setup because a single buyer who was a big fan of the p250 offered to buy everything I had at a great price. I then adopted the p320 format assuming, as the earlier reviews and promotions said, there would be 4 calber interchangeability. That was not the case.

Whether for that reason or some other I found with the p320 I wound up with individual guns rather than an FCU with multiple slides and grips. Maybe the huge jump in price of exchange kits contributed to that. When an exchange kit costs 1/3 the price of a gun versus the 2/3 ratio that existed recently that makes a difference. Modularity now means nothing to me except, as someone already noted, cleaning the FCU is a breeze.

As an early adopter of the p320 I now find myself, after several years, moving back to my p2XX series guns as my favorites. I wonder if others have experienced the same trend?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The 320 displaced my EDC 228 and 229 from my rotation because of its ergonomics and trigger, not because of its modularity.

The modularity, and the removable FCU, are just really nice bonuses. The 320 won the EDC prize outright.

Reactions: Lane73 and CKtCATM

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought my 320 because of the fit in my hand.
And it has a decent trigger.
As been mentioned,the thought of modular parts sounds good but its like vaporware.
Good luck on finding the parts you want.
SIG is their own worst enemy on that front.
Don't advertise parts that we can't get.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
The RX system was the drawing card, not the modularity, on my first 320 acquisition. I enjoyed the platform so much that I bought another. I think the modularity is neat and it sure makes clean up a breeze. It certainly was not the reason I bought the guns. I do think in time, when the dust settles some, there will come a time when I will enjoy the modularity and do some mixing and matching. Right now it's just too new and popular for the prices to be attractive.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Modularity isn't a big deal to me either. I don't use the exchange kits, but the ability to swap out frames, as I do tend to be rough on them, is a plus.

It does make cleaning it a breeze though. :)

TXPO

Reactions: WolfKing
1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.