SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a P320 Full Size Nitron a couple days ago and immediately noticed a few things. The slide wouldn't go forward completely unless I either used the release, or pushed it forward the 1/8 inch or so manually. Also, the slide was extremely hard to pull back, feeling like it was catching on something (just like when it wouldn't slide forward completely.) The last thing was the takedown lever being so stiff, it took a LOT of pressure to turn it.
While I chalked these issues up to it being new, I went ahead and took it back to where I bought it to have them check it out, just to have another set of eyes on things. The guy was perplexed about it to say the least. He was flat out shocked when he tried another P320 and it did the exact same thing.
It's being sent back to SIG for them to figure out what's wrong. The guy thought the slide might be too long, or something wasn't milled right during production. Hopefully it isn't a wide-spread issue, but I haven't seen anyone with the same problem.
For reference, it was dated January 2017.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Sorry you experienced problems right out of the box AxMan. My full size 320 had the hardest to turn take down lever of any gun I've ever owned. It produced two blood blisters on my thumb in getting it turned the first time. It's not an uncommon problem with the 320s and they do loosen up. I worked on mine a great deal before it had desirable tension. It worked well with the fcu as long as it wasn't installed in the grip.
Once it was installed... it was ridiculously hard to turn. Something about the fcu and the grip. I hope Sig fixes that for you.

The slide problem I have no answer for you. Whatever is up with that you can count on Sig in taking care of it. Again I'm sorry you had problems from the get go. It's a great gun. Don't give up on it. Once the problems are solve you'll have a great shooter.

Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas. Welcome to SigTalk. Where having the Signess is the norm and having a house full and still needing more Sigs is understood.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My P320 X5 was similar to that. The new guns are shipping with a goo that is more a sticky preservative than a lube. Mix that with tight tolerances and new stiff springs and you get what you are seeing. When NIB that last 1/2" of slide travel (closing) is lifting the barrel into battery with those tight tolerances fighting the sticky goo so it needs a little push or the inertia of drop from slide lock. Do a proper cleaning and lube, fire a box or two of ammo to break in and it functions like a dream. At least mine did.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The takedown lever on my new P320 was so hard to operate that I called Sig. They sent me a shipping label to send the P320 to the factory to be fixed. They turned the whole thing around in two days and sent it back to me.

They replaced the grip module, and the gunsmith notes said that all was in factory specs. I was still unable to operate the takedown lever. Since the gunsmith said all was within factory specs, I decided to try to solve the problem myself.

It turns out to be very simple. I first tried a small adjustable wrench. I adjusted the wrench so that it just mated with the lever. The increased mechanical advantage allowed the lever to move with ease. It was very smooth - no binding or hitting anything.

Later I changed to a 4-1/2" vise grip pliers. That is a smaller tool and makes a better contact with with less chance of damage to the lever.

I don't think the issue is a defect. Its just the very close tolerances in a new pistol. I expect it loosen up in use. The lever is so streamlined that you can't get any grip on it and must just use finger friction.

I have made a belt attached magazine carrier for the P320, and since take down may be necessary in the field, I included a pouch for the pliers also. I have also included a pouch in that carrier for the torx wrench which is necessary to install or remove my Foxtrot 1 weapons light.

Wil

·
Registered
116 Posts
My P320 X5 was similar to that. The new guns are shipping with a goo that is more a sticky preservative than a lube. Mix that with tight tolerances and new stiff springs and you get what you are seeing. When NIB that last 1/2" of slide travel (closing) is lifting the barrel into battery with those tight tolerances fighting the sticky goo so it needs a little push or the inertia of drop from slide lock. Do a proper cleaning and lube, fire a box or two of ammo to break in and it functions like a dream. At least mine did.
Same here, I cleaned and lubed it and shot a couple hundred rounds thru it, no issues. I also cleaned and lubed the take down lever, works much easier now.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Haha. Yeah I hear you. I took my new 329 RX down--or tried to. What the heck is wrong with this take down lever? Fortunately it did give way with a little finesse. Don't remember my 2015 320C being so tight. Regardless. At the range no issues. Shoots whatever I put in her. Just have to be patient with the tight tolerances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, all! Hopefully when it comes back from SIG, there won't be any more issues. Can't wait to start putting some rounds through it!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Take down lever on mine was very stiff, but has loosened up some. I have seen info in other threads about moving the recoil rod, but all that has done for me is make it more stiff.

As far as the slide not going into battery...you said "unless you used the release" which begs the question were you "riding the slide" at the other times? They are made to slam shut, many pistols will not close all the way if the slide is closed rather gently, especially when new.

Reactions: KZero

·
Registered
150 Posts
The takedown lever was very stiff on my new P320F. When I called Sig, they said to hold the slide release, rack the slide rapidly a few times and try the lever again. It worked! Once taken down, I removed the factory lube and replaced it with Lucas oil. After a couple of hundred rounds, the lever began to operate smoothly without having to rack the slide.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I had to wear mechanics gloves the first couple of times I needed to use the take down levers on my 320 c and s.c.. That was how I was able to get enough pressure on them and not injure my fingers. These slides were very tight on these guns. Shooting them loosen them up and they function great. Have thousands of rounds through both.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I must be one of the lucky one, FS RX and the take down lever was the easiest to use of any forearm that I have owned.

Limited list but LC9,LCP,Bodyguards and a New Shield. All those except the Shield were a PITA and always required gloves or a screwdriver assist.

I've set on the coach and field stripped and removed the FCU just to demo how easy.

Now if the slide lock was as easy... Mine is somewhat of a PITA - far from impossible, just difficult.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
AxMan I have a full and a compact p320 . Both took a good push to rotate the take down lever down when brand new but the slide came right off with some wiggling of the lever and presure on the rear of the slide and it worked well after that . Still a snug fit but feels right now .

I will say In the future do not assume any person behind a gun counter or even a so called gun shop gun smith knows anything special about any given firearm other than some very general info unless they taken a armors course on it and have some practice with one .

Oh yea , That stuff many think is a lube on a new pistol ain't made to aid in parts smoothly working . Only to protect from rust .

·
Registered
40 Posts
This minor issue still exists. I just bought a P320 RX fullsize and the take down lever is still delivered very stiff. After finding this thread I now see this is normal. I use a very small adjustable wrench to turn the take down lever to field strip. I'm going to take apart further tomorrow to work some lube into the area.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I find a small amount of good synthetic grease on the lug area and some hot ammo will aid in it working a little smoother but 6000 rounds later on my p320c 40 and its still stiff but shows not wear ether . I tube of good grease will last a life time but if you see a can of Pro-Shot Pro-Gold grab it . There Zero Friction is a very good general needs lube too .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Took apart and worked some hi quality grease into the grip take down lever contact area. It's still a little stiff but I can now field strip without the small adjustable wrench...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts