SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

P320 feeding problems

34K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  cremaley 
#1 ·
Purchased a P320 carry in 40. I am experiencing multiple 3 point jams on any ammo that has a relatively narrow bullet shape such as Hornady or Precision 180g. Feeds WWB, Federal aluminum case, Ranger's and so on just fine. I noticed the mag follower is not anti tilt and I am wondering if that's allowing the back of the case to dip down when feeding causing it to hit the top of the chamber at a steeper angle. Wondering if my followers just happen to be slightly undersized, or if this is a design flaw for the 40. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Guys; first off, another .40 jamming thread. I am beginning to believe the .40 has more issues in all makes and models than any other cartridge.

Your jamming issues sound similar to those I had with a Glock 10mm and heavy loads. Glock and I finally figured it was caused by a stiff hold and slide speed exceeding the ability of all magazine springs to align a round in place before the slide arrived to strip the next round, thus producing slide overrides. Investigation on my part indicated a fairly rare but recurring problem with others who shot heavy loads in their G20's. The gun was a total lemon and Glock was very helpful all the way thru the testing, etc. They eventually took the gun back.

No problems with ".40-power" loads, by the way.

Your situation could be different, but I give you mine for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

I've not heard of this problem with 320's, but your assessment in this case seems entirely plausible. I've not heard of magazine problems with 320's in this caliber, but who know.

I have 4 P250's and have had no problems with any of them other than their insatiable appetite for ammo. Zero problems with "pointed" rounds like XTP's and HAP's and the old Fiocchi Extremas. All are 9mm's. I also have a .45 P250 that like our old P220's feeds anything except LSWC's that have the bullet shoulder seated to the case mouth.

Good luck. I know problems like yours can be really frustrating.

#8 ·
I have tha P320 in 9mm. Had a couple of FT Fire, but after cycling that same batch of ammo thru another pistol, I had the same results. appeared to be hard primer or light strikes in both pistols. about the same fail rate and not reproduced with another ammo. My P226 is chambered in 40 and when I pull the trigger, it goes bang and loads the next round every time. Sorry I can be of no help on this.

#10 ·
Looks like this??

#38 · (Edited)
I think i may have the answer to your .40 jamming problem

I posted this in quality control thread, but here it is again.
I have now fixed three p250s all in .40 that were having a jam that looks just like yours. the case mouth was hanging up on the top edge of the chamber. you can tell if this is the problem by taking a round of the ammo that is jamming, and try to force it into the barrel (thats removed from the gun) at a slight upward angle (try to immitate the angle that the round was jammed at). if the round gets stuck doing this, then this is likely the same issue we were all having. The solution is to take a piece of 600 or 800 (or finer, but will take you longer) grit sand paper to the edge leading into the chamber, and round it out a little, until you can slide the .40 cal round into the chamber without it sticking on that point. i used a rounded pencil eraser to apply the sand paper to exactly the edge i wanted to round out. I rounded it pretty good, until the .40 round slid in without any hesitation, and even while applying upward pressure (i pushed down on the back of the case, while pushing in, causing upward pressure on the front of the case).

This completely fixed my problem and the problems of two other p250s in .40. Let me know if you try it, and if it works. i have a feeling it will.

#12 ·
I can't see the rear of the case but if the slide is wedging on the top of the case web, yeah, that looks like a slide override.

#14 ·
Please let us know what they say.

I'm really curious and I bet others are, too.

#15 ·
Maybe (forgive the term) limp writing it a bit?
It it's like the Glock in like the slide is t come back quite fat enough.
Another thing to try would be reduced power recoil spring. I cut some coils off or my full sized P320 as it was over sprung. Not sure how that would work on the P320c.

#18 ·
Hey there!

My 320 in .40 has functioned flawlessly with about 200 rounds threw it as of now.
I noticed that the gun was carefully lubed from the factory with precise beads of tw25 lube on the slide rails.

Definitely send the gun back to Sig for repairs, sounds like you are having similar problems I had and others with my p224 in .40 that was repaired by Sig which now runs perfectly.

#19 ·
Yeah, send it back.

Your second pic shows it is NOT the same malfunction as that I described above. The slide on your pistol has contacted the rear of the case head and is stripping the round from the mag, but....

Reminds me of several STAR pistols I owned that did exactly as yours. Those problems were caused by too short OAL. I do not know what is the problem with yours. First guess would be bad mag but you say it happens with more than one.

Mmm...

this one is for SIG I think.

Reactions: peppercorn
#21 ·
Try one more thing;

Is the CASE MOUTH stubbing on the little ridge on the chamber mouth? This is common with LSWC's that have the bullet shoulder even with the case mouth. Check it out. SOME cases have case mouths that are quite defined and MAY stub.

#24 ·
Same or very similar jam issue

I had a few jams during the first few hundred rounds through my new P320 compact .40 but was not concerned until Saturday....8 jams in 100 with Winchester 180 grain FMJ target. Two with the range master watching. One just racking a new clip. I did not change mags though. The previous pics looked identical to my jams. Pretty sure all jams were using the same loads. Is it time to send it in?

#26 · (Edited)
Assure that your ammo is up to snuff & buy a cartridge gage block . You can randomly check a few rounds from a box to be sure its in speck . You could also plunk test your barrels chamber . If you don't know what a plunk test is try google first . Brands of ammo like wwb and fiocchis fmj do have more than that share of out of spec loaded cartridges and a few others from time to time . Speer lawman or Remington express line tend to have better QC . New handguns deserve a far better line of ammo for there first 4 hundred rounds then let your wallet decide what to buy but knowing you have some of whats known to work well as a proof load next time you have a feed or cycling issue .

Its hard to say what could have caused your problems or if the handgun the ammo or the shooter are at fault .

Don't put to much faith in a range master knowing anything about a particular firearm . There a range officer only and that gives them know other skill sets than the average shooter with trouble shooting a problem unless they also happen to be a sig armor in this case !!

Keep your pistol clean and well lubed to start off and feed it a better class of ammo when new . Even try some of the Premium HP ammo you plan on using early on .

#27 ·
Gentlemen - I just bought a P320/Compact/.45 two days ago. I have not live fired it yet as I am having some troubling issues. First, while dry firing, nearly every mag load jams up between 7 & 8 - it appears the "fired" round does not extract, causing the next round to jam up against it - now you see why I have not live fired it yet. Also, the mags are extremely hard to unload - often requiring me to tilt the nose up to pry the round out (?) The trigger felt very "fragile" (for lack of a better word) - like a so-called "hair trigger" - even for a Sig newbie like myself. Every 3 or 4 mags run fine, beginning to end. Tonight, I thought I'd try dry firing with no mag. OMG - now the trigger feels solid as a rock. Do I have the wrong mags? Is there something amiss inside the pistol? Man, I hope not - I don't want this gun to get out of my sight!

help

#28 ·
Gentlemen - I just bought a P320/Compact/.45 two days ago. I have not live fired it yet as I am having some troubling issues. First, while dry firing, nearly every mag load jams up between 7 & 8 - it appears the "fired" round does not extract, causing the next round to jam up against it - now you see why I have not live fired it yet. Also, the mags are extremely hard to unload - often requiring me to tilt the nose up to pry the round out (?) The trigger felt very "fragile" (for lack of a better word) - like a so-called "hair trigger" - even for a Sig newbie like myself. Every 3 or 4 mags run fine, beginning to end. Tonight, I thought I'd try dry firing with no mag. OMG - now the trigger feels solid as a rock. Do I have the wrong mags? Is there something amiss inside the pistol? Man, I hope not - I don't want this gun to get out of my sight!
Where to start...first question is did you field strip, clean, and lube prior to your dry firing practice? Second, not sure what your dry fire practice is...are you loading up snap caps and manually cycling the rounds through the magazine? By mag load jams up between 7 and 8, do you mean via manual slide cycling? Has the trigger changed since you purchased the handgun or was it always fragile?

If your concerned about the internals of the FCU, check youtube. There are a number of videos showing the FCU up close...might help you see if a pin is missing or something else.

I could go on, but perhaps go to a range and run actual ammunition and see how the pistol works. If you still have a problem, call Sig CS and let them know...perhaps there is something wrong that they can fix.

Good luck, and let us know how things go for you.

#29 ·
I believe the problem is a combination of bullet shape and magazine followers.

I bought the 320 and 250 in 40 about three weeks ago. The p320 is brand new and the 250 was used but had a please steel me price.

Since both guns use the same magazine it made sense to get both.

I also bought two spare mags for the guns, for a total of 6 magazines.

I found two of the magazines would ftf on the second round but the others fed fine. It happened in both guns with practice ammo(remington). Since the problem was shared by both guns on the same mags, then the mags are the main source.

With that being said, both 'bad' magazines would feed defense round just fine, hornaday, remington and speer with a few winchesters for good measure.

I believe the follower may be the problem.

#31 ·
P320 problems

I too have a p320 compact .40. I have had numerous failures with it. I bought this gun because of all the torture tests, etc. and have had nothing but problems. I sent it back once already and was told that they repaired my magazine springs.

This is the weapon I carry every day. It cannot fail.

I took it to the range the other day and had 3 failures in less than 50 rounds. UNACCEPTABLE. I called sig and they said that the gun has problems with winchester FMJ ammo. They suggested trying other target ammo (and I will) but shouldn't this gun burn through ANYTHING?! Isn't that how it's advertised? I feel very unsatisfied with this firearm. Is anyone else experiencing the problem only with Winchester ammo? You know, I'm told a glock shoots Winchester ammo just fine.

If I have any malfunctions this week at the range I will take photos.

#37 ·
I too have a p320 compact .40. I have had numerous failures with it. I bought this gun because of all the torture tests, etc. and have had nothing but problems. I sent it back once already and was told that they repaired my magazine springs.

This is the weapon I carry every day. It cannot fail.

I took it to the range the other day and had 3 failures in less than 50 rounds. UNACCEPTABLE. I called sig and they said that the gun has problems with winchester FMJ ammo. They suggested trying other target ammo (and I will) but shouldn't this gun burn through ANYTHING?! Isn't that how it's advertised? I feel very unsatisfied with this firearm. Is anyone else experiencing the problem only with Winchester ammo? You know, I'm told a glock shoots Winchester ammo just fine.

If I have any malfunctions this week at the range I will take photos.
Are you using the Winchester Train & Defend Ammo? I have a P320SC and had problems as well.

#32 ·
320 .45 carry FT feed

Just bought a 320 carry in .45. First time at the range yesterday and had numerous FT feeds with Winchester target ammo. I'd say about 15 out of a 100 rounds. Huge disappointment. The head of the round seemed to dive down before the chamber. This would then cause the mag to get stuck in the well and not eject. Calling sig tomorrow and will get suggestions. Hopefully it's just an ammo issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.