SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a P320 carry in 40. I am experiencing multiple 3 point jams on any ammo that has a relatively narrow bullet shape such as Hornady or Precision 180g. Feeds WWB, Federal aluminum case, Ranger's and so on just fine. I noticed the mag follower is not anti tilt and I am wondering if that's allowing the back of the case to dip down when feeding causing it to hit the top of the chamber at a steeper angle. Wondering if my followers just happen to be slightly undersized, or if this is a design flaw for the 40. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Guys; first off, another .40 jamming thread. I am beginning to believe the .40 has more issues in all makes and models than any other cartridge.

Your jamming issues sound similar to those I had with a Glock 10mm and heavy loads. Glock and I finally figured it was caused by a stiff hold and slide speed exceeding the ability of all magazine springs to align a round in place before the slide arrived to strip the next round, thus producing slide overrides. Investigation on my part indicated a fairly rare but recurring problem with others who shot heavy loads in their G20's. The gun was a total lemon and Glock was very helpful all the way thru the testing, etc. They eventually took the gun back.

No problems with ".40-power" loads, by the way.

Your situation could be different, but I give you mine for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

I've not heard of this problem with 320's, but your assessment in this case seems entirely plausible. I've not heard of magazine problems with 320's in this caliber, but who know.

I have 4 P250's and have had no problems with any of them other than their insatiable appetite for ammo. Zero problems with "pointed" rounds like XTP's and HAP's and the old Fiocchi Extremas. All are 9mm's. I also have a .45 P250 that like our old P220's feeds anything except LSWC's that have the bullet shoulder seated to the case mouth.

Good luck. I know problems like yours can be really frustrating.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Welcome to SigTalk. If there is anyone that can help you identify the problems you are having they probably reside here.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Welcome.

How many mags do you have? We have 2 mags that will not work with my wife's 238 but work fine with mine. I had one mag for my 220 I finally threw in the trash.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
3 mags, all have malfunctions with the certain ammo.
If that's the case give Sig's customer service a call and they will take care of it. I had a bad extractor on one of my 320s. They fixed it quite quickly.

Be very detailed in your call to them and in your written explanation accompanying the gun.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have tha P320 in 9mm. Had a couple of FT Fire, but after cycling that same batch of ammo thru another pistol, I had the same results. appeared to be hard primer or light strikes in both pistols. about the same fail rate and not reproduced with another ammo. My P226 is chambered in 40 and when I pull the trigger, it goes bang and loads the next round every time. Sorry I can be of no help on this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Guys; first off, another .40 jamming thread. I am beginning to believe the .40 has more issues in all makes and models than any other cartridge.

Your jamming issues sound similar to those I had with a Glock 10mm and heavy loads. Glock and I finally figured it was caused by a stiff hold and slide speed exceeding the ability of all magazine springs to align a round in place before the slide arrived to strip the next round, thus producing slide overrides. Investigation on my part indicated a fairly rare but recurring problem with others who shot heavy loads in their G20's. The gun was a total lemon and Glock was very helpful all the way thru the testing, etc. They eventually took the gun back.

No problems with ".40-power" loads, by the way.

Your situation could be different, but I give you mine for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

I've not heard of this problem with 320's, but your assessment in this case seems entirely plausible. I've not heard of magazine problems with 320's in this caliber, but who know.

I have 4 P250's and have had no problems with any of them other than their insatiable appetite for ammo. Zero problems with "pointed" rounds like XTP's and HAP's and the old Fiocchi Extremas. All are 9mm's. I also have a .45 P250 that like our old P220's feeds anything except LSWC's that have the bullet shoulder seated to the case mouth.

Good luck. I know problems like yours can be really frustrating.
Possibly the magazine spring, however the problem still occurs even when chambering a round from slingshot or using the slide stop, so the slide wouldn't be outrunning the mag spring in that case.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Looks like this??

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I can't see the rear of the case but if the slide is wedging on the top of the case web, yeah, that looks like a slide override.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll give them a call tomorrow. Other than the selective ammo, I love the way it shoots and especially the trigger. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Please let us know what they say.

I'm really curious and I bet others are, too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Maybe (forgive the term) limp writing it a bit?
It it's like the Glock in like the slide is t come back quite fat enough.
Another thing to try would be reduced power recoil spring. I cut some coils off or my full sized P320 as it was over sprung. Not sure how that would work on the P320c.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe (forgive the term) limp writing it a bit?
It it's like the Glock in like the slide is t come back quite fat enough.
Another thing to try would be reduced power recoil spring. I cut some coils off or my full sized P320 as it was over sprung. Not sure how that would work on the P320c.
I can assure you it's not limp wristing. As far as modifying the spring, this will be an off duty pistol, so any fixes will have to be factory. Hopefully they can get everything figured out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey there!

My 320 in .40 has functioned flawlessly with about 200 rounds threw it as of now.
I noticed that the gun was carefully lubed from the factory with precise beads of tw25 lube on the slide rails.

Definitely send the gun back to Sig for repairs, sounds like you are having similar problems I had and others with my p224 in .40 that was repaired by Sig which now runs perfectly.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Yeah, send it back.

Your second pic shows it is NOT the same malfunction as that I described above. The slide on your pistol has contacted the rear of the case head and is stripping the round from the mag, but....

Reminds me of several STAR pistols I owned that did exactly as yours. Those problems were caused by too short OAL. I do not know what is the problem with yours. First guess would be bad mag but you say it happens with more than one.

Mmm...

this one is for SIG I think.

Reactions: peppercorn

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, send it back.

Your second pic shows it is NOT the same malfunction as that I described above. The slide on your pistol has contacted the rear of the case head and is stripping the round from the mag, but....

Reminds me of several STAR pistols I owned that did exactly as yours. Those problems were caused by too short OAL. I do not know what is the problem with yours. First guess would be bad mag but you say it happens with more than one.

Mmm...

this one is for SIG I think.
Interesting on the oal. Same ammo feeds without issue through a fleet of 226's.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts