SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, I have a full-size P320Rx that I have taken to the range several times. The last 3 times I've been experiencing intermittent failure to go into battery. I'm using steel-cased Winchester 115g 9mm brown box ammo which I bought at Bass Pro Shops. I personally don't think the ammo quality should have anything to do with it. In fact, I've had it happen a few more times using Sig ammo as well. I've disassembled/cleaned/lubed/reassembled several times but I'm still having problems. I've also noticed the recoil spring is incredibly squeaky, so maybe that's it. I'm considering swapping out the recoil spring for a lighter one, but that might end up making the problem worse. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
370 Posts
How many total rounds through it? If this is something that just started and the gun was flawless prior to, a new recoil assembly would be the best place to start.

also check your extractor. Steel cased ammo is rough on extractors, and if it burred ior damaged it, then I could exhibit the same issue even with other ammo. Personally, I stay away from steel cased unless I absolutely have to, IE zombie apocalypse.

I know it is less expensive, but it also wears parts faster, which equates to spending money on parts. So is it really saving?

TXPO

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Texaspoff asked the question I'd ask- how many total rounds through the pistol, and did you buy the pistol brand new?

Have you checked the extractor to make sure there's no carbon or crud under or behind it?

We want to help you troubleshoot the problem, and sometimes that results in finding out that "what IS actually happening" and "...should have anything to do with it" are in conflict with each other. An example of this is steel case ammo- some pistols just hate steel case ammo, so the solution would be easy- just don't shoot it. What should be, and what is, are sometimes not the same. We know from Glocktalk and other forums that early Gen5 Glocks didn't have "as roomy" barrel chambers as previous Gen Glocks, so some shooters were having issues only with their Gen 5.

Some of the most common causes of FTRB are:

Touching the slide catch while the pistol is cycling- one wouldn't know they're doing it.
Limp wristing.
Under-powered ammo (almost always 115gr)
Extractor issues.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Do you have a Mirzon grip module on your p320 (it's in your avatar)? If so, try shooting the pistol with the Sig grip module, to rule out the Mirzon as the cause. If the Mirzon doesn't offer a snug fit for the Fire Control Unit, it could cause the FTRB.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Try a good 124gr load or if your going to keep it loaded with HP run 50 rounds of hot mid weight ammo thru it like a good +P load to help smooth it up . OR leave it set with the slide locks open for a few days before the next range trip . Sigs pistols tend to have tighter chambers than many others . Want a handgun to feed anything . Buy a gluck or m&p as those sloppy chambers will shoot most any ole fodder most times . I won't shoot steel cased ammo , you have to stay on top on chamber cleaning as much is ether lacquer coated or poly coated and its stays behind in the chamber and its been a long time that I bought factory practice ammo , I reload .

What is yours a full size or compact . See if you can find Everglades ammo & reloading products near you , if in Naples area they have a store by the I-75 just off the old dump road on 3564 plover ave or did !! . I spent my first 42 years in Naples and use to buy Georgia arms " canned heat at a gun shows " many years ago . Still use some of there hunting and HP handgun ammo in the family .

https://www.evergladesammo.com/ammunition/handgun-ammunition.html?caliber=6

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
How many total rounds through it? If this is something that just started and the gun was flawless prior to, a new recoil assembly would be the best place to start.

also check your extractor. Steel cased ammo is rough on extractors, and if it burred ior damaged it, then I could exhibit the same issue even with other ammo. Personally, I stay away from steel cased unless I absolutely have to, IE zombie apocalypse.

I know it is less expensive, but it also wears parts faster, which equates to spending money on parts. So is it really saving?

TXPO
^^^Bingo.

Most likely cause is a worn-out recoil spring.

I also agree with Texaspoff's opinion on steel-cased ammo. Brass ammo is so cheap right now that buying steel really isn't worth it.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
1) Put the SIG grip module back on if you are using that Mirzon.

2) Get some Winchester NATO 124gr.

3) If this is a used gun, then refresh the recoil spring assembly.

4) Now run some proper ammo through that pistol and call me in the morning.

Note:
The Gray Guns "Fat Rod" which comes with a 15# 1911 spring is the best thing to ever happen to a full size P320.
Legion comes this way only with a 14# and 12#.
Taylor Tactical offers spring kits for cheap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My friend shot my P320 X-Carry and loved it and went and bought the full size. Second time he took it to the range about the 2-3rd mag he’s shooting and it went off without being fully in battery and blew out the extractor. Now he’s waiting to hear back from them over a week to see if they’ll make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
My friend shot my P320 X-Carry and loved it and went and bought the full size. Second time he took it to the range about the 2-3rd mag he’s shooting and it went off without being fully in battery and blew out the extractor. Now he’s waiting to hear back from them over a week to see if they’ll make it right.

Wow, that's scary

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

What was the ammo used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a Mirzon grip module on your p320 (it's in your avatar)? If so, try shooting the pistol with the Sig grip module, to rule out the Mirzon as the cause. If the Mirzon doesn't offer a snug fit for the Fire Control Unit, it could cause the FTRB.
Swapped my Mirzon out for the factory grip and am still experiencing the same issue. I though it was the grip at first, because of how tightly it fits and the gap between it and the slide, but I've since ruled that out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^Bingo.

Most likely cause is a worn-out recoil spring.

I also agree with Texaspoff's opinion on steel-cased ammo. Brass ammo is so cheap right now that buying steel really isn't worth it.
I bought the gun new. If it has 1,500 rounds through it, it'd be alot.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Swapped my Mirzon out for the factory grip and am still experiencing the same issue. I though it was the grip at first, because of how tightly it fits and the gap between it and the slide, but I've since ruled that out.
Okay, so we can rule out the aftermarket grip. Keep in mind we haven't shot your pistol or even seen video, so we can only operate on what we know, and that revolves around the most common causes like I listed in my comment #3 above...

Accidentally touching the slide catch while pistol is cycling (Have a range officer, instructor, or expert shoot it w/ your Win steelcase ammo)
Limp Wristing/grip isn't firm enough (same as above)
Underpowered ammo (shoot 100 rounds of 124, 135, or 147gr new brass ammo)
Ejector assembly is dirty or out of spec (thoroughly clean the entire assembly)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was hoping there was an easy troubleshooting fix that didn't involve buying new parts. For what you pay for any new P320, your should be able to shoot anything out if it without issues IMHO. I've ordered the grayguns rod/spring set and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am curious if the extractor got bent and is causing drag on the slide slowing it enough to interfere with the slide going into battery? Take the barrel out of the gun and run the slide back and forth on the rails to see if anything is binding. Also curious if the rubber o-ring on the take down lever would cause any positioning issues if it were missing?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I was hoping there was an easy troubleshooting fix that didn't involve buying new parts. For what you pay for any new P320, your should be able to shoot anything out if it without issues IMHO. I've ordered the grayguns rod/spring set and let you guys know how it goes. Thanks all for the advice.
In post three and again just above, I listed the four most common causes of your problem, and none of them are an unexpected cost. Now we know why you made no effort to troubleshoot or offer info.

If you go to Glocktalk, you're sure to find a new Glock owner with a similar problem, because shooters make gripping errors, some ammo is underpowered, and no gun maker is perfect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts