SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. How are you?

I recently got my P320 Compact milled for the HS 507C. When I got it back and mounted the HS, I noticed the small gap you see in the pictures between the body of the RDS and the slide.

I verified the bottom of the HS is flat because it sits perfectly flat on the Picatinny mount it came with. I tried both sets of screws and it doesn’t “tighten” down any. It always maintains that slight gap that I feel like I could slide a piece of paper into.

It was done at a reputable shop and I am sure he will make it right. But clearly, this isn’t how it is supposed to sit, right?

My first RDS. I know. Get with the times.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is not normal. I had mine milled and there is zero gap whatsoever. I would either send it back or take it to a better armorer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
It may be that the screws are too long- does the optic sit flat on the slide without the screws inserted?

The optic may be slightly out of spec in some regard (Over All Length?).

Or the milling is off.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I thought it might be a screw length issue but it does not even sit flat just placing it on the slide, no screws.
Is it possible the length of the optic is preventing it from sitting flat?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks like the optic is not all the way down into the pocket, you might have to lightly tap it down with a rubber mallet (be very careful with the solar panel on the top, make sure you are on the aluminum) and see if that’s enough to clear a small discrepancy on the coating of the optic or a bur on the edges. I wouldn’t force it though...

I don’t see front recoil bosses on your pictures which would be ideal when having a custom cut on a slide but it’s tough to be sure with the optic mounted on the images.

A truly reputable shop would have asked you to send the optic along with the slide to mill it properly and test fit it.

I would reach out to the shop that milled the optic pocket and have them address the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
From the picture it looks like you are hanging up on the front radius of the optic to slide cut. Measure the optic length and the slide cut length, if the optic is slightly smaller than the slide cut you are hanging on the radius.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with both last comments.

I think it’s the front radius hanging it up.

It’s going back to get it right. I was assured I didn’t need to send in the RDS. I Figured he had one.

I hope it gets sorted out. Very responsive and wants to make me happy, so that’s a good thing.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I agree with both last comments.

I think it’s the front radius hanging it up.

It’s going back to get it right. I was assured I didn’t need to send in the RDS. I Figured he had one.

I hope it gets sorted out. Very responsive and wants to make me happy, so that’s a good thing.
If it were me, I'd try walking the optic down into the slide cut before sending it back to him because ideally we want the optic as tight as possible in that cut without it causing any distortion to the body of the optic...

I'd place the rear end of the optic about a third to half way down into the depth of the rear cut, then try doing the same with the front end, then alternate pressure on each end until it seats flush...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I’m nervous to apply much force with the electronics on the top of the housing. But I know what you’re saying.

If I get it back and it is sloppy lose because he rounded out the radius of the cut, that will make me angry.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Yeah I’m nervous to apply much force with the electronics on the top of the housing. But I know what you’re saying.

If I get it back and it is sloppy lose because he rounded out the radius of the cut, that will make me angry.
You could avoid pressure to the top of it by using a dowel rod across the lower front of the optic- pull back slightly on the rod with both hands while rotating the rod to apply backward/downward pressure... Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good idea. I will give it a go. Better than another round trip and if it fits tight, that’s not a bad thing. I just couldn’t apply any more downward pressure.

I’ll update with results.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
That’s not normal at all. Any reputable machine shop would have asked you to send them your red dot with the slide for proper cutting of the slight for correct figment of the dot.

I Had to send my slide and red dot when my shadow 2 was milled for a red dot. There are no gaps at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I figured as much. I am no expert with the red dots, but know my way around these guns and machines in general. Nothing good can come of this RDS "floating" when it should be sitting down flush.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That’s why I suggested carefully tapping it with a rubber mallet on the aluminum hood of the optic while being careful with the solar panel; I’ve had to do that on pre-milled slides because there can be a minuscule amount of variation on the footprint of the optic usually caused by a spot with slightly thicker coating and/or a bur from the the machining process.

That being said, the really good and “reputable” shops (as you call them) like Primary Machine, ATEi, APO and many others, will insist you send the optic along with the slide to properly mill the pocket and test fit avoiding what you are literally going through. They also mill front recoil bosses on the optic pocket for RMR and HoloSun...

IMHO if it’s not going down into the pocket by lightly tapping it with the rubber mallet or moderate hand pressure, I would send the milled slide and the optic (even though they say they have one like it) to the shop that did the work and have them fix it... If it’s actually a problem with the radius or length of the cut they need to address it and should be responsible for it, especially if it comes out loose afterwards effectively trashing the slide...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed. I’m going to give it a little light tapping and downward pressure and see what I have.

I think the assumption was that since they had the exact RDS, they didn’t need mine. I almost threw mine in the box just to be safe. I was told not to worry about it. Live and learn.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agreed. I’m going to give it a little light tapping and downward pressure and see what I have.

I think the assumption was that since they had the exact RDS, they didn’t need mine. I almost threw mine in the box just to be safe. I was told not to worry about it. Live and learn.
I have 4x HoloSun 507c V2 GR and they all have minuscule variations in the fit when I try them on the same slide. In fact the two latter units have a matte finish while the two early ones are glossy.

My ZEV Octane slide requires moderate pressure with 3x of the 507c and 1x of the early units just drops in...

My VP9L slide was milled by Primary Machine for a 507c V2 that malfunctioned and only the glossy early units fit in the optic pocket without having to apply considerable force; I guess the matte coating on the later units is a bit thicker perhaps...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh that’s good to know. I did apply downward pressure with a dowel and no luck.

I also tried a rubber mallet with as much force as I was comfortable with.

It looks like there is a little shelf of extra material on the front and back where the optic sits. I will send it back and have it fixed. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts