SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't figure out an appropriate title but I've had an odd thought for the past month that has me shelving the P320 and returning to the P229.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the world of my P320 and the resurgence of accidental discharges caused by poor handling by the owner hasn't swayed me. But I keep thinking about moving back to the P229. Maybe it's picking up a Springfield 1911 and being reminded how much fun a single action trigger can be. Maybe it's carrying the P320 for so long, I just need a change (I did switch to the P365XL for a short period).

Here's what is probably keeping me from pulling the trigger and switching. Magazines and holsters.
I've got a dozen or more magazines for the P320 and about half a dozen holsters.

I don't think I'd need that many holsters for the P229 but the magazines are a different story. I've got range magazines, magazines for my backpack, mags for the car, mags for my belt. It's a crying shame magazines can't be standard industry wide to avoid spending hundreds of dollars when you change handgun platforms.

I also don't miss the double-action first shot of the P229. It was often a given that it was a wasted shot and I felt successful to simply hit the target with the first shot. It was as the first shot was a warning and if the danger persisted, then I drive nails into the target.

Maybe the P320 blues is just a symptom of not spending as much time at the range with the gun. It's not like stores have had boxes of ammo lining the shelves lately. Plus, the days of an $18 box of range ammo are likely long gone. And I'm sorry... the laser training cartridges are not the same. They are a neat alternative to range time for about 15 minutes. Gotta find some time to get to the range so I can be reminded how nice of a handgun the P320 is.

Thanks for letting me rant a little.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I hear ya. I'm using the P320's more and more and the P229 less and less. I don't have a good IWB P229 holster which makes it worse. Members in different threads have given me good ideas, but I just haven't gotten one yet. I do have a good P320 IWB holster. Good luck on your carry. They are all fun to shoot. TG

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hear ya. I'm using the P320's more and more and the P229 less and less. I don't have a good IWB P229 holster which makes it worse. Members in different threads have given me good ideas, but I just haven't gotten one yet. I do have a good P320 IWB holster. Good luck on your carry. They are all fun to shoot. TG
If you haven’t already look into don hume for iwb holsters for the 229.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Couldn't figure out an appropriate title but I've had an odd thought for the past month that has me shelving the P320 and returning to the P229.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the world of my P320 and the resurgence of accidental discharges caused by poor handling by the owner hasn't swayed me. But I keep thinking about moving back to the P229. Maybe it's picking up a Springfield 1911 and being reminded how much fun a single action trigger can be. Maybe it's carrying the P320 for so long, I just need a change (I did switch to the P365XL for a short period).

Here's what is probably keeping me from pulling the trigger and switching. Magazines and holsters.
I've got a dozen or more magazines for the P320 and about half a dozen holsters.

I don't think I'd need that many holsters for the P229 but the magazines are a different story. I've got range magazines, magazines for my backpack, mags for the car, mags for my belt. It's a crying shame magazines can't be standard industry wide to avoid spending hundreds of dollars when you change handgun platforms.

I also don't miss the double-action first shot of the P229. It was often a given that it was a wasted shot and I felt successful to simply hit the target with the first shot. It was as the first shot was a warning and if the danger persisted, then I drive nails into the target.

Maybe the P320 blues is just a symptom of not spending as much time at the range with the gun. It's not like stores have had boxes of ammo lining the shelves lately. Plus, the days of an $18 box of range ammo are likely long gone. And I'm sorry... the laser training cartridges are not the same. They are a neat alternative to range time for about 15 minutes. Gotta find some time to get to the range so I can be reminded how nice of a handgun the P320 is.

It’s true that you have to master the 229/226/220 first pull but once you get it figured out you have it forever and it’s no longer an issue. Like riding a bike. Plus, when situation permits, have the option of cocking the hammer so the first pull question is eliminated. Quick draw up close and personal also makes the DA first pull moot because your point shooting or just so damn close to the threat that it wont matter. No concealed weapon option is perfect but for me the P229 checks more boxes than anything else I have vetted.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts

Regarding all your magazines, you might consider trying to sell and/or trading some of them off for P229 magazines.

As far as the double action of the P229 is concerned, I am just as accurate in double action as I am in single action or with any striker-fired or hammer guns I own. But the trick for me is twofold. First, I had to get my grip and trigger reach dialed in. I had to try out six sets of grips before finding the right one for my hands (a checkered Hogue G10). What grips do you have on your P229? This can happen with any gun, but it can especially apply to DA. In my opinion, the DA should be supremely accurate if you're practicing enough, the pistol is in good order, you have the grips dialed in, AND you have the right trigger. I found that, for my hands, the short reach (skinny) trigger was too short and the standard trigger with the larger grips I like was a little too long. The $40 basic Grayguns trigger I bought is an intermediate length which is what they put on the Legion. Everyone's hands are different, but if you're struggling, the double action trigger pull will be easier to master if you get the grip and trigger right. I didn't have to lighten my trigger pull weight, but many also find that helpful. The SA is really just needed for fast follow up shots, so never think the first shot in DA is supposed to be wasted. It's not. So if you're having problems with the DA, practice and dial in the ergonomics and remember, there is a difference between comfort and performance. Just because a grip feels great doesn't mean it's really the best for shooting. Do some research, try another grip, and practice dry firing it and see how your trigger controls works out. You should be able to pull the trigger without seeing your front sight vibrate.

Second, dry practice is key. I found that not shooting or dry practicing for awhile caused my double actions skills to diminish considerably (regarding trigger control). Normally I dry practice anywhere from daily to a few times a week which keeps me sharp between delayed range sessions. Just make sure you have a safe dry practice routine if you don't have one already. If necessarily, watch a YouTube video on doing it safely. I'm not a big James Yeager fan, but I found his video helpful.

Regarding the P320 v. P229 generally, I would always pick the latter—no question. The P320 is a fine pistol (so long as the trigger was fixed or you have the newer generation trigger/trigger engagement), but the P229 is without a doubt a step up as long as you have the double action dialed in. To me its the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus, but I suppose it's subjective.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a P320c with a Wilson Combat module great gun and shoot it really well. Same with my P229 SAS. Love shooting them both.
Got a Sig P365xl, G19, XD-9, SR9e and a bunch of others I love to shoot.

My EDC is a Sig Sauer C3 1911. Just can't get away from it. Have carried it close to 15 years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’ve got a DSG IWB holster for my 229 that does the job. As I’m a lefty it’s even harder to find holsters for Sigs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Zombie Day there will be millions of 9mm rounds to find.

·
Registered
M17+M18+XCarry+Various Parts = Three frankensigs
571 Posts
I like the idea of carrying a p229 but the weight keeps me leaning towards poly pistols for EDC

·
Registered
813 Posts
I like the idea of carrying a p229 but the weight keeps me leaning towards poly pistols for EDC
Don’t focus on the weight. Focus on the DIFFERENCE in weight. Not that much considering what the 229 brings to the table IF you should ever need it. Assuming we aren’t taking about micro poly pistols. There is a price to be paid for light weight and small. The 229 has been the perfect balance for many.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree about not concentrating on the weight difference.
The right holster can help minimize the increase in weight and you get use to it.

Plus there are some benefits to a heavier handgun.
I do like the lighter P320 and it handles really well. The added weight of the P229 makes it handle a bit better.

They are both fantastic handguns. No regrets on carrying the P320, I'm just finding myself miss the P229 these days.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Shoot both, enjoy both. I'm glad I don't have to choose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts