SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P320 barrel /slide wear normal after 200 rounds?

Hi
I am new to the Forum. I purchase my P320 in February. This is my first hand gun. I have put about 200 rounds through it. I inspect the chamber and slide after each outing and lube the contact points per the manufacture instructions. On my most recent outing I have noticed that the barrel is showing metal in some areas, on the hood and chamber end. There have been no malfunctions. Does this seems excessive amount of barrel wear? I also have noticed a little slide wear barrel end, chamber end and on the slide release. I have attached some photos to show everyone.

Thank You

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
You get my first post here, as I am also a new 9mm P320 Compact owner.

I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I got it home, stripped it down totally, and gave everything a Baristol bath, getting rid of all manufacturing residue. I then lubed it down completely with the tube of Lucas oil they gave me with the gun. (I need to get some real grease for the slide, so I do not get as much leakage of oil ...)

My only gripe about the gun was that the Sights were not centered, but that was an easy fix

I then went to the range shot off 200 rounds of 115 grain target rounds

Pulled it apart for a quick peeks, and did nothing.

Went out yesterday put another 200 through it, but this time I mixed it up. Some 115gr target, some 124g hollow points, some 147g FMJ and some Hornandy 124g +p xtp's, just to see how well it shot some different ammo ( would have shot some more, but I just had to hit the rifle lane and shake the rust off the AR)

Happy to say it worked flawlessly, well, except for me not being used to combat sighting picture so I kept hitting low if I did not think about it. I am not the best shot, my groupings were rather large, but I can hit center mass reliably

Anyways, I just broke mine down and have it sitting in front of me, and honestly I am still half asleep and do not feel like taking pics...cause my desk is a disaster

I checked all the Barrel pics you posted, and I have none of the wear you do in the first couple, and very minimal in the other pics, but those area's are where barrel meet slide. Nor is there and wear showing in the slide area's you have posted. I do have some wear in the area of the last pic, but again I expect some there, just make sure they stay lubed. Mine still looks brand new for the most part, once I wiped it down.

I may get you some pics later, because I want to clean it and re lube it

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Not seeing anything in those pic's you should be concerned about. It's mechanical, parts are going to rub together. Shoot the **** outa it and don't worry about it...

..if you have a problem send it in to SIG later on.

·
Registered
458 Posts
In my experience, every gun can be a little different from others in how quickly they start to wear, and in what places.
From looking at your photos, I'm not seeing anything that strikes me as unusual. Just make sure the wear areas get a bit of lube after each cleaning, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Those pictures show normal wear.

In fact, they show a brand new gun that's only been fired a few rounds
and not even broken in yet.

Those parts will wear as they "seat in" together.
Shoot a few thousand rounds through it and show us some pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. My concern was that there was no wear like this noted until I put some rounds through yesterday but if its normal wear I can live with the wear. Performs great. Other than wear no other issues to note.

·
Registered
81 Posts
P320 barrel /slide wear normal after 200 rounds?

Hi

I am new to the Forum. I purchase my P320 in February. This is my first hand gun. I have put about 200 rounds through it. I inspect the chamber and slide after each outing and lube the contact points per the manufacture instructions. On my most recent outing I have noticed that the barrel is showing metal in some areas, on the hood and chamber end. There have been no malfunctions. Does this seems excessive amount of barrel wear? I also have noticed a little slide wear barrel end, chamber end and on the slide release. I have attached some photos to show everyone.

Thank You

Ya that's seems really weird. My P320CA is my first also but I've put roughly 400 rounds through it and I don't have any sign of wear like that. I think it might be a bad finish or something related to that? Someone else with more experience can chime in on that.

Edit: Seems like it's just normal wear. Still weird considering I don't have any sign of wear on mine.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Greetings and welcome to SigTalk from Alaska.

The wear does not look excessive to me. Looks to be wear on the barrel, where it locks up with the slide, you should expect wear there. That said, everywhere you see wear, is where, I think, you should be putting grease when you clean and lube it.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Welcome from Florida.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not seeing anything in those pic's you should be concerned about. It's mechanical, parts are going to rub together. Shoot the **** outa it and don't worry about it...

..if you have a problem send it in to SIG later on.
Do you have to register it with Sig for the warranty? I lagged on it for both of my Sigs, only to find out they aren't doing the 20% anymore.

Those pictures show normal wear.

In fact, they show a brand new gun that's only been fired a few rounds
and not even broken in yet.

Those parts will wear as they "seat in" together.
Shoot a few thousand rounds through it and show us some pictures.

How do you know if it's "broken in"? I've never heard of that on a pistol. My 2022 has 1000 rounds through it but any wear is just scraping the finish instead of what some P320s are seeing, chipping metal, etc.

Heres my P320 with 375 rounds through it. I'm keeping an eye on the barrel to slide contact as others have had barrels in worse condition after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Aside from "chipping" (which I have never seen), which might be indicative of a problem (along with gouging or abnormal grove ware), everything I have seen has been typical metal on metal wear.

Now, if you are using a good grease on your gun it should reduce this some but and I have gotten into this discussions/argument elsewhere on forums;

Mechanical things that function on a cycle (think engines, slides, ect...) require a "break in" where the metal surfaces "mate" with one another. This is natural and every mating will look a bit different.

I say discussion/argument because some think that when they purchase an expensive (to them) firearm that if it requires break in then it is broken. I got into a vehement debate on this last year where it got into a discussion on thermal dynamics.

Realize that aside from metal to metal mating, there is a lot going on in your firearm (thermodynamically) at play. The gun is heating up, metal is expanding, burnt powder is creating friction and all this is happening over and over and over.

Cut your gun some slack, it is taking a beating internally and holding up remarkedly well! ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I should reference some pictures of other P320s on this subforum with users reporting mentioned issues, with Sig replaced parts as a result-- I think one case led to an entire slide and barrel replaced.

I've never seen such wear in other pistols. On the corner of the barrel I posted, that to me is a cause for concern. I don't believe it should look like that and with 375 rounds through it, I still keep an eye on how it is wearing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here are pictures of the wear marks on my P320C, with just under 200 rounds through it:

Here's a Glock 17gen4 with roughly 7k on the clock; very little wear anywhere. A shiny half-circle where the barrel goes thru the slide, a line on the bottom of the barrel from the recoil assembly, and just a touch on the barrel hood and the front top edge of the chamber:

And finally, my lovely M11-A1; about 5 or 600 rounds on this one. Looks pristine from the outside....

But on the inside....

All three have similar, but different wear patterns at different levels of use. It's all perfectly normal, and they all three run like champs with any ammo I've ever fed them.

Keep the shiny bits lubed up. Shoot more. Have fun more. Worry less. :thumbsu:

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Great detail pics and explanations Kenny, thx.

·
Registered
368 Posts
All three have similar, but different wear patterns at different levels of use. It's all perfectly normal, and they all three run like champs with any ammo I've ever fed them.

Keep the shiny bits lubed up. Shoot more. Have fun more. Worry less. :thumbsu:
Very nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts