SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team, new around here, but I've got a question. I picked a new P320 full size 9mm with Sig night sites a few weeks back, pistol looks great. My question is regarding the finish from the factory on the barrel. You can see where the barrel locks up, the finish is incomplete or wore off when cleaning. I haven't shot it yet, just left it in its case, took it out to clean, the other night and when done, inspected it an noticed the bare metal there. Was planning on going shooting this week, but I guess I might be putting that on hold.

Any of you fellows seen any goofiness like this before on your new P320's? I've got a West German P220, that's old enough I think someone carried in the French and Indian War, and its only got the normal front barrel wear. So this kind of surprised me a bit. I just reckon if I'm going to call them about it, I'd do it before I put any mileage on it.

Thanks,

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Admittedly it's not normal wear at all.

·
Registered
547 Posts
As said, Not normal, I would call sig for sho, they might have you email them pics idk, but seems reasonable for them to ship you a new bbl with a return shipping label free of charge without having to do any special hoop jumps

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey team, new around here, but I've got a question. I picked a new P320 full size 9mm with Sig night sites a few weeks back, pistol looks great. My question is regarding the finish from the factory on the barrel. You can see where the barrel locks up, the finish is incomplete or wore off when cleaning. I haven't shot it yet, just left it in its case, took it out to clean, the other night and when done, inspected it an noticed the bare metal there. Was planning on going shooting this week, but I guess I might be putting that on hold.

Any of you fellows seen any goofiness like this before on your new P320's? I've got a West German P220, that's old enough I think someone carried in the French and Indian War, and its only got the normal front barrel wear. So this kind of surprised me a bit. I just reckon if I'm going to call them about it, I'd do it before I put any mileage on it.

Thanks,

Bryan
My wear is a little different as the front corners of the top of the barrel hood have worn off with just a couple of magazines through the brand new pistol. Also just in front of the barrel hood, in the area between the barrel hood and the barrel, you see wear marks already.

I called Sig and they had me ship my entire P320RX and mags last week. I sent them pics first and they decided they wanted the whole pistol in this case to make sure it doesn't damage another barrel the same way. My P320C .40 barrel is showing early wear, but it's a "normal" wear pattern. It's funny because my .357 SIG compact barrel, inserted in the same slide, shows zero wear after shooting almost the same number of rounds. Also, my P226 Legion has over 1,000 rounds through it and zero wear on the barrel.

He's my thread... see pics on post #3:

http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-modular-pistols/156642-barrel-wear-p320-s-how-can-i-touch-up.html

·
Registered
571 Posts
All it takes is .001" high spots and a few slide cycles to show wear.

·
Registered
P320 45 ACP Carry, P320 9MM Carry, P320 357 Sig Carry conversion kit, Colt 1911 45 ACP Government
381 Posts
That doesn't look right to me - I've never seen that kind of wear on a pistol. Definitely call Sig, send them a picture, etc. They may have you send in the barrel, or maybe even the whole pistol so they can see what is rubbing there to cause the wear. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody. My speculation is that, given that it's unfired and only showed up after first cleaning, is that the metal wasn't clean when coated and the finish didn't set. I'll give them a ring and update ya'll.

·
Registered
P320 45 ACP Carry, P320 9MM Carry, P320 357 Sig Carry conversion kit, Colt 1911 45 ACP Government
381 Posts
An update, Sig's going to trade barrels. Solid customer service on their part too over the phone.
That's good to hear - glad they're taking care of it for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the solid customer service is pretty much reserved only for talking on the phone, they got my barrel in on April 6th and I'm still barreless here. Emailed them last Thursday on the 20th, asking what the hold up was, and Monday they got back to me saying they'd check and find out and email me back, haven't heard anything from that.

Kind of makes me wish I'd have got that Glock 17 instead. :huh:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That does not look like wear to me, it looks like some form of corrosion. I would contact Sig on that one.

Edit: actually the more I look at your picture it looks like what I would recognize as a form of oxidation of the finish. You could probably get it off with the right cleaner and proper oiling. However, I would be concerned a bit about it showing up.

Are you in an area of really high humidity?

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I think the solid customer service is pretty much reserved only for talking on the phone, they got my barrel in on April 6th and I'm still barreless here. Emailed them last Thursday on the 20th, asking what the hold up was, and Monday they got back to me saying they'd check and find out and email me back, haven't heard anything from that.

Kind of makes me wish I'd have got that Glock 17 instead. :huh:
I certainly understand your frustration, but rest assured Sig will get it right. All gun manufacturers have their "horror stories," but I know that doesn't help you when you're the one suffering from one. There is nothing worse than having a new gun malfunction or suffer an issue like this. You spent money on a gun that is supposed to work, and now you're sitting there looking at a gun that has no barrel. Just be patient, though. Once you get your new barrel you'll forget all about this little hiccup, and I'm confident you will enjoy your P320. Word to the wise, however.

From now on, make sure you inspect any gun you buy thoroughly before you leave the store with it. Inspect it meticulously, and do not hesitate to tell them you want another gun if anything looks out of sorts. If they do not want you to field strip it then have them do it in front of you, and if there is an issue with it then share your experience with them, and tell them if they don't want to accommodate you then you'll leave the gun and go elsewhere. I think you'd rather go through that then than to ever have to deal with this again.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Thanks,

Bryan
I have a P320 RX that shows "0" wear on the barrel even after 200 rounds fired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RatBike, I'm in central Texas so it's not crazy humid here in the late winter, and it was barely a month out of the factory by the manufacturer date.

I did strip and inspected it, and it looked all good, the finish didn't come off until I first cleaned it, it just wiped away like it wasn't set to the metal.

Just a bit of a let down that it's taken already three weeks to drop a new barrel in a box and mail it. Hopefully, it'll get here soonish. Sorry about the Glock comment ;) I was tired and I've been carrying a Glock in the meantime and thought, this ain't that bad. But my family's and I have been carrying Sig's too long for me not to.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
RatBike, I'm in central Texas so it's not crazy humid here in the late winter, and it was barely a month out of the factory by the manufacturer date.

I did strip and inspected it, and it looked all good, the finish didn't come off until I first cleaned it, it just wiped away like it wasn't set to the metal.

Just a bit of a let down that it's taken already three weeks to drop a new barrel in a box and mail it. Hopefully, it'll get here soonish. Sorry about the Glock comment ;) I was tired and I've been carrying a Glock in the meantime and thought, this ain't that bad. But my family's and I have been carrying Sig's too long for me not to.
Ah, now I understand it better. Yea, send it in to them. What I suspect happened is that there was a chemical on the barrel that did not get cleaned off properly before the barrel was coated.

After sitting for a while the coating lifted and when you wiped it down the finish came off.

I bet 90 to nothing that is the case. I have done a lot of painting in the past and that is exactly what it looks like when a paint or coating lifts.

Wont really affect the barrel, but they should make it right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the replacement barrel today, five weeks after Sig got my old one.

Just a bit of info for anyone need to send anything back, it apparently does take a long time, maybe that's true of all arms manufacturers, I'm not sure. I've only ever had replacement parts sent to me, never sent something in, but it was always very prompt.

About their service, it took, what I feel to be, a long time, but the people I talked to by phone and email were mostly professional and always pleasant. One gentleman said he'd get back to me and didn't, I assuming I got lost in the shuffle. Another said he would on a particular day and he sure did.

Barrel arrived in a retail package. Definitely go into the RMA process understanding there is a very SIGnificant wait, couldn't help myself, compared with any other thing you've bought, at least that I've bought.

-Bryan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts