SIG Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my FIRST post so be gentle!

For starters, I LOVE my P320 AXG Pro - 9mm w/ Romeo 1 Pro. And, it's baddazz looking.

Some friends have talked me into joining USPSA and my first match is in a week. During practice I am having slower follow-ups than I'd like for this kind of shooting as the recoil takes a little more time to get the dot back on target.

I have selected, and purchased 3,000 rounds, Federal 147gr FMJ FH so that is my commitment to the round. Why? because that's what the guys I'm going to shoot with all shoot. Nuf said.

I do not know what weight spring is in the gun - it's stock.

What are the best ways to reduce muzzle rise? I am considering adding a compensator. Maybe a lighter spring? maybe both?

What say you?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
First thing I'd do is keep your eye out for a TXG grip module. The TXG is the tungsten infused grip and it weighs more than the AXG which will help mitigate some recoil. I have both the TXG and the AXG module and it's night and day different. Most TXG modules come with a magwell and a weight. You can't run the magwell in carry optics in USPSA, but it easily removes with one screw.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear, but practice with what you got.

Talk to people at the match, see how they grip their gun, and practice until you feel comfortable with any adjustments you make.
Remember, slow is fast and fast is slow, meaning slow down until you have the fundamentals down and then the speed will follow.

Heavy guns help, but people have been hitting fast follow up shots with light Glocks for a long time. A compensator with minor PF ammo is not going to help much

·
Registered
330 Posts
So far for my AXG Pro I've replaced the G-10 grips with the solid brass ones from Armory Craft and their solid guide. I also temporarily swapped in a Armory Craft Sport take down lever to use until my Gas Pedal gets in. With the new grips and guide rod the pistol is up to about 41.5 oz vs 35.4 stock. Also on the way is some of Armory Craft's brass magazine base plates that add about 3oz each. When they finally come back in stock I'll be picking up the steel back strap insert that Armory Craft makes which will add an additional 2.5oz. The pistol is sort of a fun experiment for me to see how flat shooting I can make a gun by getting it the heaviest I can.

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Practice...
With proper practice you should be able to hold 9MM recoil to a minimum.
All the other things will improve good shooting, but nothing is any good without practice.

Back in the old days [pre autoloaders] I won an IPSC match with a S&W 686 revolver with 357 Magnum
ammunition and speed loaders. I practiced a lot back then, and the police department bought me a lot of ammunition.
[There were 1911's around]

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear, but practice with what you got.
Probably the best advice here. I have bought a lot of "toys" for my guns and I can say with absolute certainty, if I'd have spend the money on ammo and practice, I'd be a better shooter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I am tempted to buy furniture, I plan to make time at the range for practice - like today. Only 150 rds, but I did a lot of practice just drawing and aiming at the target - getting the red dot up to my head/eye quickly to develop the memory of where it is so I'm not looking for it. Running 4 rds per mag, 5 in the first, and doing 4 rd sets dropping mags and moving. It was fun - but also teaching me muzzle awareness and getting used to dropping mags - finger off the trigger, etc.

But I am tempted to buy a couple lighter springs (stock is 15lb) just for shitsngiggles. The trigger is around 3.5 lb so I'm good with that ...... for now ;)

Thanks all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I concur, practice. I can easily get follow up shots on target with full power loads in my Glock 20 with iron sights. Don't know how experienced you are with red dots but they can be tricky getting back on target at first on a handgun. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts