SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my Glocks and other striker guns, I have always used the middle of the pad of my trigger finger to get a good straight press but on the P320, for some reason, I find that in order to not disturb the sights, I have to use more finger on the trigger. Anyone else notice this or have an issue getting a good press with the p320?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would've assumed it would be the other way around based on the respective triggers.
Besides disturbing the sights, how do your shots down range look?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
During dry fire I have a very hard time keeping the sights from moving with my P320. Down range my shots string vertically and low pretty much straight down from my POA.. I use a thumbs forward grip and keep decent pressure on the pistol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
During dry fire I have a very hard time keeping the sights from moving with my P320. Down range my shots string vertically and low pretty much straight down from my POA.. I use a thumbs forward grip and keep decent pressure on the pistol.
Afternoon Brianjkeene

As a rule trigger finger placement on the trigger gives you left or right stringing.

Up & down shot stringing is usually shot anticipation and/or tightening the hand on the grip just as the shot goes off.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Afternoon Brianjkeene

As a rule trigger finger placement on the trigger gives you left or right stringing.

Up & down shot stringing is usually shot anticipation and/or tightening the hand on the grip just as the shot goes off.

Which is what I found odd too. At the range, I string vertically but at during dry fire the sights appear to move left to right. Mind you, I also have the grayguns trigger so the reduced weight should help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For what it's worth I shoot left handed & have very large hands. I have a P320 .40 in the carry configuration & I consistently shoot somewhat high & to the right. I am considering getting a flat style trigger (not sure what brand) to stretch my hand & get less finger on the trigger. I feel like I get to much of my finger on the trigger. I have not really had a vertical problem as of yet. I am however, putting a new Crimson Trace Green laser on it in the next couple of days! We shall see what that does to my accuracy....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well it looks like everyone covered all the bases. When practicing with a new pistol, take more from range time than dry firing. Make sure your fundamentals are correct. A good shooter is puts a nice group down range regardless of firearm. Make adjustments based on accuracy not precision. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brianjkeene

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well it looks like everyone covered all the bases. When practicing with a new pistol, take more from range time than dry firing. Make sure your fundamentals are correct. A good shooter is puts a nice group down range regardless of firearm. Make adjustments based on accuracy not precision. Good luck!

I am consistently inaccurate. An inch or two LOW LEFT with a 320C even after 700+ rounds. :( Though I am dealing with a 8lb12oz 320C trigger (doesn't feel that bad though), cross eye dominance and I've played with trigger placement on this 320 and a 6lb 14oz trigger Shield. Even using "too much trigger finger," still goes left.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am consistently inaccurate. An inch or two LOW LEFT with a 320C even after 700+ rounds. :( Though I am dealing with a 8lb12oz 320C trigger (doesn't feel that bad though), cross eye dominance and I've played with trigger placement on this 320 and a 6lb 14oz trigger Shield. Even using "too much trigger finger," still goes left.
Same here after 250 rounds. I had to send my P320C RX back for an optic repair and while it was away I ordered a gun rest.. I have always had 1911 type pistols.. This is my first striker fired pistol.

The red dot is dead center of the front sight dot when they are aligned properly so assuming the iron sights are spot on the red dot should be also..

Tomorrow I will try it out. I want to establish a baseline with the rest for the Iron sights and the red dot then go from there. I am confident my issue is my trigger pull but want to be sure the sights are correct first.

My grip is good. This is the only pistol that I still have not gotten better at accuracy wise..

I am still struggling with the trigger pull but am reading here and other forums and watching videos.. Eventually I will get better.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
So often many will focus so hard on their finger placement they lose sight of the real problem which often is the weak hand grip. If my weak hand has a firm grip, it doesn't matter that much where my finger placement is. It's only when I have a poor grip fundamentals that my finger placement may cause a problem. YMMV

·
Registered
363 Posts
Full disclosure I am in no way a professional, heed my advice at your own risk.

If you are coming from a 1911 platform, its gong to take quite a bit of work to adjust. The 1911 trigger moves straight back while other triggers are going to "rotate" around a pin. 1911s have a short reset, short pull and will typically be lighter as well. Not sure if any of that is the cause but it's something to keep in mind.

If your shot is going left and trigger finger placement is not helping, my next step would be checking my grip. Make sure you're not pulling with your support hand(assuming you're right handed), nice firm grip as well work your main hand. Smooth pull straight back of the trigger, don't inch it back and anticipate.

For low shots, my only thought is you're anticipating and compensating for the firearm going off. Or may be your finger is too low on the trigger and you're pulling it down?

Best advice I can give you is find someone you trust to shoot your gun and see if the same results occur. The possibility your sights are of are slim but not impossible, but they are made so that you can adjust them to your liking.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Probably why I like shooting my 9mm Range Officer so much. I have a hard time with low shots with most other pistols--especially polymer. I am currently "struggling" with my new 320RX full size. It is me, not the pistol or sight. I played around with a laser bore sight and the red dot and laser are right on. One thing to try is what I do regularly with most pistols and that is to use dummy rounds in live fire. I have pretty serious anticipation dipping in live fire that I am continuing to fix. In dry fire, my muzzle is rock solid. Don't assume that is how it is during live fire. The brain is not fooled that easy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Full disclosure I am in no way a professional, heed my advice at your own risk.

If you are coming from a 1911 platform, its gong to take quite a bit of work to adjust. The 1911 trigger moves straight back while other triggers are going to "rotate" around a pin. 1911s have a short reset, short pull and will typically be lighter as well. Not sure if any of that is the cause but it's something to keep in mind.

If your shot is going left and trigger finger placement is not helping, my next step would be checking my grip. Make sure you're not pulling with your support hand(assuming you're right handed), nice firm grip as well work your main hand. Smooth pull straight back of the trigger, don't inch it back and anticipate.

For low shots, my only thought is you're anticipating and compensating for the firearm going off. Or may be your finger is too low on the trigger and you're pulling it down?

Best advice I can give you is find someone you trust to shoot your gun and see if the same results occur. The possibility your sights are of are slim but not impossible, but they are made so that you can adjust them to your liking.

Jkao42 and spirit.. currently the way I have been shooting is the standard grip (right handed) nothing fancy. As with the 1911, for my trigger finger, only the very tip of the finger is pressing the trigger. The part under the fingernail. I hold both hands the same as far as pressure goes. Slow steady pull on the trigger.

I have also been doing some dry firing but like someone else mentioned, I can see the front sight move right a tad when the trigger breaks.

I have never had so much trouble figuring out a trigger pull on a pistol.. I am a patient man though.. I may have to try some dummy rounds and see how it goes..

I am purposely not shooting any of my other pistols until I get the P320 shooting how I am happy with..

Appreciate the tips..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

How are you with the VP9? I have about 800 rounds through a couple different p320s and my consistency stinks however I seem to shoot the VP9 dead on most of the time.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jkao42 and spirit.. currently the way I have been shooting is the standard grip (right handed) nothing fancy. As with the 1911, for my trigger finger, only the very tip of the finger is pressing the trigger. The part under the fingernail. I hold both hands the same as far as pressure goes. Slow steady pull on the trigger.

I have also been doing some dry firing but like someone else mentioned, I can see the front sight move right a tad when the trigger breaks.

I have never had so much trouble figuring out a trigger pull on a pistol.. I am a patient man though.. I may have to try some dummy rounds and see how it goes..

I am purposely not shooting any of my other pistols until I get the P320 shooting how I am happy with..

Appreciate the tips..
My best guess is you need more finger on the trigger. It's hard to compare to a 1911 trigger, which I consider the best trigger ever. You can get away with using very little finger due to the light pull and short pull length.

What it sounds to me like your doing is "pushing" the gun left when you pull the trigger. This happens when you have too little finger on the trigger and a longer pull than you are used to. I would almost pull the trigger using the first joint on your index and see if that pulls it right (not proper form, but you'll be able to tell if it is in fact your finger placement that's the issue). Make sure the axis of your gun is in line with the "V" on your hand as well, maybe rotate your grip slightly.

I wish you could shoot my AR with JP Armageddon Trigger. It's a flat rotating trigger, but it'll let you know if you are using too little or too much finger and encourages a straight back pull. Hope this helps

·
Registered
639 Posts
My best guess is you need more finger on the trigger. It's hard to compare to a 1911 trigger, which I consider the best trigger ever. You can get away with using very little finger due to the light pull and short pull length.

What it sounds to me like your doing is "pushing" the gun left when you pull the trigger. This happens when you have too little finger on the trigger and a longer pull than you are used to. I would almost pull the trigger using the first joint on your index and see if that pulls it right (not proper form, but you'll be able to tell if it is in fact your finger placement that's the issue). Make sure the axis of your gun is in line with the "V" on your hand as well, maybe rotate your grip slightly.

I wish you could shoot my AR with JP Armageddon Trigger. It's a flat rotating trigger, but it'll let you know if you are using too little or too much finger and encourages a straight back pull. Hope this helps

yes teh axis is inline with the V of my hand. I'll try the first joint and adjust if needed. Thanks again for the tips..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts