SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my P290RS for the first time last week. I was very impressed with the accuracy once I got used to the trigger. It shoots like a much bigger gun, very little recoil for its size...overall I'm very happy. I did notice something but I'm not sure if it is a problem or just a characteristic of the heavy DA trigger.

Hopefully I can describe the condition well enough to give you an idea of what is happening. I noticed that if I don't allow the spring to return the trigger the full distance sometimes it won't reset. In other words after firing(trigger pulled all the way back) if I slowly release the trigger part of of the way then allow the spring to pull the trigger back the rest of the way sometimes it will stop just before reset(like it doesn't have enough spring pressure to reset the trigger). If I push the trigger forward it will then reset or if I pull it again and allow the spring to pull the trigger back forward the full distance it will reset. It will reset everytime with no issues if I release the trigger after firing allowing the spring to pull it back foward the full distance. Is this an issue? Or a characteristic of this style of trigger?

I disassembled and cleaned the gun, no change with the trigger. It has about 75 rounds through it, possibe I just need to shoot it some more? Or I just need to train myself to let the trigger return the full distance every time? All my other hand guns are DA/SA and the trigger will always reset no matter where I release it after firing. Let me know what you think...Thanks!

· Registered
310 Posts
It is an issue.

I had the same issue with my P290RS. The way I described it was that if I rode the trigger back to the reset sometimes it would hang up right before the reset point. I could not get through a range outing without at least one reset failure and I could easily duplicate the problem while dry firing.

I concentrated on improving my trigger technique but after 550 rounds, while the trigger smoothed out a lot, the reset problem worsened. At my last range outing the trigger failed to reset four times in a row even though I was not riding it.

After the last outing I called Sig and described the problem to them. They paid for shipping back to the factory to take a look at it. I actually got the gun back from them today, exactly 2 weeks after I shipped it. The paperwork says they inspected the gun, adjusted the trigger reset and fired 25 rounds of 147 grain Speer Lawman. The reset feels much better. While dry firing it this evening I could not make the trigger fail to reset no matter how much I rode it. I'm hoping to stop at my local range tomorrow evening to live fire test.

My advice is to call Sig and send it back to them.

Dave

· Registered
267 Posts
I agree this is an issue. I cleared mine and dry fired it. For reset, my trigger must go fully forward. I note the spring pushing the trigger shoe forward is not particularly strong, but no hangs.

You might try a thorough clean and lube before you send it in.
My P290rs is about a year old.

· Registered
310 Posts
Put 70 rounds through it today after getting it back from Sig. Trigger worked fine, no reset issues. I did, however, have 2 failures to extract with Speer Lawman. Both times it was the last round in the magazine.

Dave

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. I called Sig yesterday and sent mine in for repair. Hopefully it comes back fixed. I'll update when I get it back.

DavidR22,
I hope your failure to extract problems were a fluke and not a new problem. How long did it take for you to get yours back after sending it in?

· Registered
310 Posts
Exactly 2 weeks which included 2 day shipping in each direction and 2 weekends so I'd say turnaround is pretty fast right now.

I'm a little worried about the FTExtract. I had my first one at about 450 rounds and I had 2 more about 100 rounds later. The first was with Magtech and the last 2 were with Speer. I will clean it well, again, and inspect it and hopefully get back to the range this week.

Dave

· Registered
9 Posts
DavidR22- I've got about 1400 rounds through my P290RS. I have the 6rd and 8rd factory mags that came with it and they are mostly fine. i purchased 3 more factory 6-round mags online that were sold as used, but had been used by Sig for testing the guns at the factory and looked brand new. i've had a couple stovepipes and failure to feed with one of those mags, it seems to hold the top round in the mag at more of an upward angle than the other mags. i pulled it out of rotation and the gun was flawless and then mixed it back in my range bag like a goob when leaving.

Out of all the rounds, i've had four or five stovepipes, and three of them came at the range when I hadn't used enough lubrication after cleaning. i try to be sparing with the slide grease, but my 290Rs really likes to be slippery. i grabbed a can of lube from the range officer, sprayed the slide down and fired another 300 rounds or so with no issues. Perhaps it's the lube you are using or more specifically not enough of it? Mine likes lots of slide grease.

I have had weird issues with the factory 8 round mag. i was carrying it as my backup in a safariland leather horizontal mag pouch but each time i would take it out it would have dropped 2-3 rounds in the mag pouch. I've also had feed issues with the last round out of that mag a few times or no reason, slide locks open and the final round is left in the mag. I always fire winchester white box practice ammo other than that one cheap box of federal aluminum cased 9mm. i think that aluminum case stuff fouled up the gun a bit, that was the time when i got most of the extraction issues and stove pipes leading to me having to lube the gun at the range.

· Registered
1,277 Posts
I've had the same issues with the 8rd mag, the top round tends to creep out and feed itself off. I think the magazine presses down on the bottom of the mag pouch as it moves and allows it to wiggle itself out somehow. I'm about to try a polymer mag holder from PJ Holsters, hoping that the stiff holder will prevent this.

I'm glad to find out it's not just me...

· Registered
310 Posts
Got my P290RS back yesterday, very quick 11 day turn around time. Trigger now resets like it should. I'll hopefully have time to shoot it this weekend.

Great. Let us know how it goes. My trigger feels much better now. With about 650 rounds and some dry firing it has smoothed out nicely and resets the way it should. It's still long, with a long reset, but it's smooth and not that heavy.

Dave

· Registered
310 Posts
DavidR22- I've got about 1400 rounds through my P290RS. I have the 6rd and 8rd factory mags that came with it and they are mostly fine. i purchased 3 more factory 6-round mags online that were sold as used, but had been used by Sig for testing the guns at the factory and looked brand new. i've had a couple stovepipes and failure to feed with one of those mags, it seems to hold the top round in the mag at more of an upward angle than the other mags. i pulled it out of rotation and the gun was flawless and then mixed it back in my range bag like a goob when leaving.

Out of all the rounds, i've had four or five stovepipes, and three of them came at the range when I hadn't used enough lubrication after cleaning. i try to be sparing with the slide grease, but my 290Rs really likes to be slippery. i grabbed a can of lube from the range officer, sprayed the slide down and fired another 300 rounds or so with no issues. Perhaps it's the lube you are using or more specifically not enough of it? Mine likes lots of slide grease.

I have had weird issues with the factory 8 round mag. i was carrying it as my backup in a safariland leather horizontal mag pouch but each time i would take it out it would have dropped 2-3 rounds in the mag pouch. I've also had feed issues with the last round out of that mag a few times or no reason, slide locks open and the final round is left in the mag. I always fire winchester white box practice ammo other than that one cheap box of federal aluminum cased 9mm. i think that aluminum case stuff fouled up the gun a bit, that was the time when i got most of the extraction issues and stove pipes leading to me having to lube the gun at the range.

Thanks for the suggestions. I generally use a fair bit of lube so that may not the issue. I flushed the extractor with non-chlorinated brake cleaner before my last range trip and didn't have any issues.

Dave

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took my P290rs out to shoot for the first time after getting it back. The good news is the issue with the trigger reset is fixed. The bad news is that I had several other issues.

The 8 round magazine doesn't feed the last round about 50% of the time. I had 4 instances of the slide not locking back after the last round of the magazine, this happend with both the 6 round and 8 round magazine on every type of ammo too. I had 2-3 instances of a round not feeding into the chamber(not the last one of the magazine) and 2 instances of a round getting jammed. I put about 100 rounds total through it today. I tried Blazer Brass 115 grain, Federal 115 grain, and Federal HST 124 grain. It had issues with each type of ammo, I think the Federal HST 124 grain was the only one to jam though.

It seemed to have more issues this time than the first time shooting. I had taken it apart and greased the slide before shooting the first time so maybe that could be a factor. The 2nd time I just shot it as is after getting it back from Sig but it looked clean and looked to be well oiled. Any suggestions? Not sure if I want to send it back to Sig again or trade it off for something else at this point.

I also shot my P239 today, it performed flawlessly. It ate every type of ammo I put through it and is deadly accurate. The issues with the P290RS make me appreciate the P239 that much more.

· Registered
310 Posts
I'm not sure how many rounds have been fired since it was cleaned but I would probably give it a good cleaning and try again before sending it in or trading it.

I have two 8 round mags that work fine, two 6 round mags that work fine. I bought two more 6 round mags and both of them jam on the last round.

Dave

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cleaned and lubed my P290RS again and went to the range yesterday. No Jamming issues this time so I would say it was an improvement but it still has some problems. The slide failed to lock back on the last round about 50% of the time with both the 6 and 8 round magazine. The 8 round magazine fed the last round fine the first couple of times then it wouldn't feed the next 4 times on the last round. I still haven't decided if I want to trade it or send it back in to Sig, on the fence about it.

· Registered
1,798 Posts
I have a 290 rs. Have not shot it for about 3 months. I just don't like the trigger. However I have fire many different brands of ammo through it. My wife has fired it and an RSO at a indoor range I use to frequent has shot it. This gun has never had a problem of any kind. I have noticed with this gun and my 938 that the next round moves forward a short amount in the magazine when it is next up to be pushed into the chamber. When removing a loaded magazine it is very evident.

· Registered
267 Posts
Mine is sitting on the desk just left of the monitor. Just over a year old. Probably 600rds, no malfunctions (9mm).

I have 2 extended mags and 1 short one. They are always fully charged. Like my P938, the magazines took about 6 weeks+ to settle in. The mag springs were very stiff and it's still better to use a loader at the range to save your fingers. The DA trigger has smoothed out considerably.

Any possibility your thumb is contacting the slide release lever intermittently?
That would keep the slide from locking back.

I suggest leave the magazines fully loaded, get about 200 rds of economy ammo and shoot the **** out of it and then do a thorough clean and lube. Be sure and grease the slide rails. Check your thumb near the slide. This might just fix it for ya.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.