SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forum and came looking for some help. All of my sigs have been perfect up until my 290. I'm having issues with the hammer staying too far forward when shooting causing the trigger to pretty much be dead. I load the first round fire and then when I go to fire again the trigger does nothing but moving the slide about 1/8" back causes it to work again. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this. I've tried different mags and ammo just to be sure it wasn't that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
What do you mean when you say "moving the slide 1/8 inch back"?

Do you mean you have to push it forward because it's out of battery or do you have to pull it back and let it go to reset the trigger?

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!..... and I mean I have to pull the slide back and let it go and it will reset the trigger. It is going fully into battery it seems like it is the hammer that is causing the issue

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,057 Posts
It sounds more like the weapon is out of battery rather than something wrong with the hammer. When you pull the slide back does it eject a spent casing or a live round. Do you have the same problem with another magazine and different rounds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I fire the weapon it ejects the spent casing and loads a new round. And when I say I pull the slide back I mean I literally move it maybe an 1/8" and you can hear something click and the weapon will fire again. From what I can tell the hammer goes too far forward after every shot and when I move the slide it goes back to where it is supposed to be.

·
9,057 Posts
When you pull the slide backwards 1/8 inch does it move back forward when you release it or does it stay. With my weapon unloaded without a magazine I have a click when I do the same thing, it takes the weapon out of battery and moves the hammer back. When I release the pull everything goes back as it was. After you fire the weapon release the trigger slowly, you should have a click as the trigger resets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Redfish I have no click for the reset when I ease off the trigger. When I was at the range I held the trigger back after firing and took off my hearing protection just to make sure I could hear if it would reset but it would not until I would mess with the slide.. one or two times the gun would work fine but the rest it was like this. I've cleaned lubed and tried different mags and ammo. I know I'm not doing something wrong when shooting because I have a friend that bought one around the same time I did and I can shoot his just fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it was bought new and no it doesent look bent at all. I guess maybe it will have to end up going back to sig. I was trying to avoid that since it's a hassle to do with work but I guess I'll have to try it

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is an adjustable reset screw on most of the aftermarket triggers for the 290. I don't know about the current factory triggers. Mine purchased several years ago had a metal trigger with no adjustment for reset. I understand there may even be plastic triggers from the factory in recent years. Look for a small set screw at the very top of the trigger. If it's there you will need a very small Allen (hex) key to adjust it. If no adjustment it most likely will need a visit to Sig to resolve. The action isn't "broken" because you can get the reset to occur, but reset point is just enough off to require the manual reset. A real pain! And a deal breaker for a defensive pistol! These are great little pocket pistols when they are working right. Good luck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It definitely sounds like a trigger reset problem that will need to go back to Sig. Mine had a reset problem that Sig was able to fix. They paid for shipping both ways and it was only gone two weeks.

Returning a gun for service can be a pain. They use Fedex and only certain facilities will accept the drop off. There has to be an adult to sign for it when it is shipped back.

Dave

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,011 Posts
Yes it was bought new and no it doesent look bent at all. I guess maybe it will have to end up going back to sig. I was trying to avoid that since it's a hassle to do with work but I guess I'll have to try it
Found these on you tube https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...E36A4B96716AAEBD745CE36A4B96716A&&FORM=VDRVRV
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...8C18CF14A0B15867524B8C18CF14A0B15&FORM=VRDGAR

It appears it may not be uncommon. I know you said you bought yours new, but what is its date of manufacture?

·
9,057 Posts
No reset contact Sig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.