SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new owner of a P290RS two tone with laser. Here are my first impressions after putting maybe 100 rounds through it.

1. Not as hard to field strip as I had heard.
2. Grips are thin and very rough. Have a trimmed handall jr on it now and it feels better, especially with the 6 rnd mag.
3. Shoots as well as I can, accuracy wise.
4. Somehow unintentionally activated the laser and ran the battery out:( Plan to keep an eye out for how this happened.
5. Have put probably 50 rounds if ZQ (Walmart) and 50 rounds of Tul through it. With both brands I had multiple FTF and have employed the restrike capability. One Tul round just would not fire despite a good dimple in the primer. After reading about all the light strike comments, I am concerned and plan to shoot some additional brands to see if the problem is ammo or gun.
6. Noticed that the top round in the mag has a tendency to migrate forward when stored/carried out of the gun. I believe this caused a failure to feed. Something else I plan to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have one. It sits in the safe. Biggest mistake I ever made with any weapon i purchased. I could not get used to the trigger. My laser did the same thing. I found that in my case it was the holster that was turning on the laser when inserting the gun.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So I am a new owner of a P290RS two tone with laser. Here are my first impressions after putting maybe 100 rounds through it.

1. Not as hard to field strip as I had heard.
2. Grips are thin and very rough. Have a trimmed handall jr on it now and it feels better, especially with the 6 rnd mag.
3. Shoots as well as I can, accuracy wise.
4. Somehow unintentionally activated the laser and ran the battery out:( Plan to keep an eye out for how this happened.
5. Have put probably 50 rounds if ZQ (Walmart) and 50 rounds of Tul through it. With both brands I had multiple FTF and have employed the restrike capability. One Tul round just would not fire despite a good dimple in the primer. After reading about all the light strike comments, I am concerned and plan to shoot some additional brands to see if the problem is ammo or gun.
6. Noticed that the top round in the mag has a tendency to migrate forward when stored/carried out of the gun. I believe this caused a failure to feed. Something else I plan to keep an eye on.
The P290RS does not get the same respect as other Sigs do here on the forum, mostly due to the original P290 which did not the "Restrike System".
I purchased my P290RS in October of 2013 and now with over 500 rounds thru it, has been 100%. The issue is that this is a short barreled autoloader is that it requires quality ammo to be run thru it, unlike the larger Sigs that eat everything. Concerning the top round, this is completely normal for this weapon system and has nothing to do with any malfunctions you have encountered. I call this the "Proud Round" just like at WalMart it wants to go next at the check-out stand. When you remove the magazine and find this situation turn the mag bullet end up and rap it against your palm to reseat this anxious round back into place.

This is my EDC carry piece and I trust it with my life, no failures, no problems, just feed it the good stuff. I like the Federal 105 gr GuardDog ammo although I have fed it Winchester 115gr, 124gr and Remington 147gr and others and it eats them all. jb

Just keep the hairballs out of it when carrying everyday and you should be "golden" jb

·
Registered
2 Posts
The P290RS does not get the same respect as other Sigs do here on the forum, mostly due to the original P290 which did not the "Restrike System".

I purchased my P290RS in October of 2013 and now with over 500 rounds thru it, has been 100%. The issue is that this is a short barreled autoloader is that it requires quality ammo to be run thru it, unlike the larger Sigs that eat everything. Concerning the top round, this is completely normal for this weapon system and has nothing to do with any malfunctions you have encountered. I call this the "Proud Round" just like at WalMart it wants to go next at the check-out stand. When you remove the magazine and find this situation turn the mag bullet end up and rap it against your palm to reseat this anxious round back into place.

This is my EDC carry piece and I trust it with my life, no failures, no problems, just feed it the good stuff. I like the Federal 105 gr GuardDog ammo although I have fed it Winchester 115gr, 124gr and Remington 147gr and others and it eats them all. jb

Just keep the hairballs out of it when carrying everyday and you should be "golden" jb

Thanks for the positive feedback. It always seems like people just bash this pistol. Mainly due to the first editions. Like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback and welcomes!

I put some more Tul through it and continued to have misfires. They all seemed to work on the restrike. I put a few rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through and they all shot fine on the first strike, thankfully. Moral of the story, don't trust your life to cheap ammo!

I am getting used to the DAO trigger but still pull shots to the right on the trigger break. Not enough to be a real problem at defensive handgun range.

The Ramora holster is comfortable and works well, but the full sweat shield forces you to really dig in to get a firm grip on the draw.

I need to buy some more carry ammo to establish confidence it will shoot on the first pull, but I feel pretty good about using this gun as EDC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just finally took mine to the range the first time last week. I had a couple of misfeeds, all with various weight American Eagle FMJs. Since I also had a problem with one of my 8 round mags coming out during firing, I believe that was the main cause of the problem.

I didn't have any problems with my 124gr HST +P, so that was good.

I didn't have my Uplula with me, and no matter how hard I tried, I could only get 5 rounds in my 6 round magazines, and later in the session, as my hands got tired, I could only get 7 rounds in some of my 8 round magazines, that I'd filled fully earlier.

The gun was surprisingly accurate for me, mostly creating just one big ragged hole. I have a "hostage" target that I hung at 7, then 10 yards. At 7 yards, I can make head shots with this gun all day long. At 10 yards, I had about a 25% percent miss rate on the head shot, which wasn't too bad, considering it was the end of a 2+ hour range session, and that was the point that I couldn't fill my magazines.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. I need to shoot it more, and I need to get my magazines fully loaded and let them sit.

My only real gripe is the trigger. It pinches my finger near the end of the pull, unless I'm really careful. They made a different trigger early on, which was straighter and didn't have that stupid curve at the end. I'm going to try to find one, and if I can't, then I'll order the RTK trigger from Galloway. Galloway Precision :: Sig Sauer® Performance :: P290 Performance Parts :: RTK Profile for Sig P290RS and P290 GEN2

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum BTodd and thinkricky! If you appreciate, that's all that matters. I've come to the realization that there are more opinions in the gun world than just about any other, so your own experience and opinion is what really means something.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 290RS, it shot well straight out of the box and I could shoot it very accurately. My opinion is that some have different expectations trigger wise from being used to single action semi auto triggers and striker fired models. Compared to a double action revolver trigger its light and easy to use. I'm not looking for a target trigger on an SD gun carried in my pocket, I want something that's not going to go of accidentally if the trigger touches something and I like a hammer so everything is at rest when the gun is holstered or on the nightstand. I don't personally like part cocked strikers etc.

For anyone struggling with the trigger pull, the laser can be very useful in gaining the skills to keep the gun steady on point of aim while pulling it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BTodd,

I can help with your #2 item, thin and rough grips.

Search for P290 grips on Ebay and you'll find a couple sets that I am selling.

Here's a pic of some Thuya Burl wood grips on Ebay right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Agree. The laser is a great training feature to teach trigger control, especially combined with the restrike capability.

I know about those grips. They look great, but I don't have the $$ to drop on them right now.

I am building confidence in the gun. I'd be thrilled if not for the unusually high number of failures to fire with budget ammo.

Just ran a reload drill this afternoon. Put 5 rounds in the small mag and 3 in the big mag. Start with the small mag in the gun, draw, shoot twice, perform tactical reload, shoot until slide locks back, change mags again and double tap to finish. Great training with only 8 rounds per run!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, $&@#!! Went to change battery on the laser and half of the screw head securing the battery door sheared off!! Seriously! Gonna call sig.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, $&@#!! Went to change battery on the laser and half of the screw head securing the battery door sheared off!! Seriously! Gonna call sig.
I am sure they will help you with this issue. Please let us know how it works out for you. jb

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one. My laser did the same thing. I found that in my case it was the holster that was turning on the laser when inserting the gun.
I had that happen to my laser too, but i came up with a successful fix:

The laser buttons have a raised edge around them so I cut 2 panels from an old credit card large enough to more than cover the laser buttons on each side - and, using "Gorilla Tape", I taped over the credit card panels on the inside surface of the holster where the buttons are.

Now any pressure from the outside of the holster cannot depress the buttons due to the stiff cards and the raised edge around the buttons!

Works well for me - Never have any more inadvertent turn ons of the laser.

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tip. Might have to try that if I find it accidentally activated again.

I called Sig and sent my laser back for exchange on an RMA. Hopefully, I'll get a new unit quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the replacement laser 2 weeks after I sent the broken one. Back in business and it is shooting good ammo with no problems. Did some night shooting and the nite sights are a great feature.

Have been carrying in a Ramora IWB holster. It's comfortable but can migrate a little bit.

Borrowed idea to install a Hogue hand all jr. Takes a little trimming but I do like how it fills my hand. And it provides some protection from the sand paper like grip.

Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
They made a different trigger early on, which was straighter and didn't have that stupid curve at the end. I'm going to try to find one, and if I can't, then I'll order the RTK trigger from Galloway. Galloway Precision :: Sig Sauer® Performance :: P290 Performance Parts :: RTK Profile for Sig P290RS and P290 GEN2
I am really interested in this. The trigger is too thin for me as I would like a thicker trigger to work with my big hands. Has anyone here tried the RTK trigger?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am really interested in this. The trigger is too thin for me as I would like a thicker trigger to work with my big hands. Has anyone here tried the RTK trigger?
Do you have the older, straighter trigger, or the newer one with the significant curve at the bottom? I'm not sure when they changed, but you can see the difference in pictures on the Sig site.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts