SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to film a pretty renowned hunter on the take for an Alaska Penninsula Coastal Brown Bear with a wooden English Longbow.
I bought the P250 .40 cal for personal defense and have filmed several Alaskan Coastal Brown Bear hunts with it on my hip, but I will have to be closer to the hunter and he will have to be WAY closer to the bear. Plus, his reload time is obviously limited and there is only one other guy with a rifle there when the arrow flies.
If he doesn't double-punch those big air bags, I am worried I will have to bust out my trusty p250 and start squeezing (hopefully not from face down in a marsh with over 1000lbs of furry fury on me).
Thinking that some flat point FMJ's in 180gr make the most sense, but if anyone has other ideas for more effective rounds, please do tell.
And before you wax about past deeds of legend, or how its the wrong pistol for this situation (I know, believe me, I know), I would respectfully ask that you talk about ammo choices.
Thanks fellow shooters and I'll reply once I'm back to civilization in mid Oct, 2017, provided I have learned to use my Stephen Hawking wheelchair computer... :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well good caveat with the legends and bigger gun statement. I'll leave that alone.

Buffalo Bore makes an Outdoorsman cartridge in 40 S&W(See the Link below). I bought a box here in Anchorage a week or so ago. I haven't shot it as it is for a friend who also wants to use a Foty to defend against bears. I bought a box of the Underwood as well.

Use the Heavy Hard casts.

Good luck.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=347

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handgun-ammo/40-sw-200-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great community! Thanks for all of the brilliant, hard hitting advice in such a timely fashion! I get to hit the range in Birchwood before leaving and can't wait to try all the hardcase 200gr's.
I'll drop a link to the trailer cut once it's finished so you all can see me shooting hopefully just film.

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
What Rifle and Caliber is the Other Guy Using?
Has The Guy With The Rifle Ever Hunted Any Kind Of Bear Before?
Has He Ever Been In A Quick Reaction Situation Where He Has Had To Fire Multiple Shots With Out Time To Aim Properly ?
The Hunter with the English Long Bow. What Has He Hunted Before When It Comes To Dangerous Game ? What Is The Pull Weight Of The Long Bow And What Type Of Arrows Is He Using (Wood,Fiberglass or Metal) ? What Kind Of Broad Head Is on the Arrow?

·
Registered
275 Posts
What Rifle and Caliber is the Other Guy Using?
Has The Guy With The Rifle Ever Hunted Any Kind Of Bear Before?
Has He Ever Been In A Quick Reaction Situation Where He Has Had To Fire Multiple Shots With Out Time To Aim Properly ?
The Hunter with the English Long Bow. What Has He Hunted Before When It Comes To Dangerous Game ? What Is The Pull Weight Of The Long Bow And What Type Of Arrows Is He Using (Wood,Fiberglass or Metal) ? What Kind Of Broad Head Is on the Arrow?
You have to wait for the movie to come out!

·
Registered
22 Posts
A middle of the road (price/hype) 180gr FMJ (flat point variety) from a reputable American manufacture. Primary concern being reliable function and repeatable accuracy, then bullet construction, then velocity.

If you can shoot the super wizbanghotrodbuffaloboreunderwoodgrizzlycartridgehighzoot ammo quickly and accurately as boringblazeramericaneagle ammo, go for it. It's just doubtful a single shot from any firearm/cartridge is going to drop a fired up Teddy Ruxpin, probably enough to kill him but not stop him. Sometimes wild critters have a tough time accepting they're dead right away and can to be stubborn throughout the process. If you have to pull once, you'll probably be doing a mag dump.

Looking forward to the show, will Sigtalk members get an invite to the premier?

And most importantly of all, how do you plan on combating the mosquitoes without smelling like a deet factory and compromising the hunt?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's Johnny!

I'm back guys!
No (significant) maulings to speak of, unless you count muddy rock cliff faces and errant spruce branch spears.

About the Outfitter:
Mike Odin's Alaska Adventures - Guide Mike Odin
Assistant Guides - Billy and David (can't remember their last names)

2nd Hunter was Dave and he had a 380 win mag. 1 shot, 1 kill at 28 yrds.

Bow hunter was Lew Webb and he had a custom wood longbow lovingly named "venom". Unsure of the draw, but he had just come from Africa where he got a leopard and a hippo with 1 shot each. He has taken stone sheep to crocs with that very bow and hunted all but antarctica.
Arrows were carbon fiber (painted to look like wood) with a double-edged broadhead at least 2" across. Had 3 fletchings on each. No sighting apparatus. Reminded me of a stone arrow from prehistory, but obviously razor sharp metal. Heavy metal bodkin tho. I wouldn't want to tangle with his primitive looking gear. It was no joke, I'm sure.

I'm absolutely new to stick bows, but he let me shoot 3 practice arrows at a 1' cube target 10 yrds. out. 2 bulls and one bottom left. I was pretty stoked on myself. Felt like a natural weapon to me and the draw was not too much for me to get all the way back.
Twanged my left arm on the first shot pretty good tho. :(

I'll post the teaser here in a week or two when I get done relaxing and back to work.

BTW: I bought the .40 s&w lead hardcast doubletap 200gr. and had to draw twice when we heard something in the brush, but gratefully (or sadly) I didn't get to test them on some dense tissue. Looks like it's to the range with some of them, just for fun. The rest I'll keep if I need to defend against armor or something....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A middle of the road (price/hype) 180gr FMJ (flat point variety) from a reputable American manufacture. Primary concern being reliable function and repeatable accuracy, then bullet construction, then velocity.

If you can shoot the super wizbanghotrodbuffaloboreunderwoodgrizzlycartridgehighzoot ammo quickly and accurately as boringblazeramericaneagle ammo, go for it. It's just doubtful a single shot from any firearm/cartridge is going to drop a fired up Teddy Ruxpin, probably enough to kill him but not stop him. Sometimes wild critters have a tough time accepting they're dead right away and can to be stubborn throughout the process. If you have to pull once, you'll probably be doing a mag dump.

Looking forward to the show, will Sigtalk members get an invite to the premier?

And most importantly of all, how do you plan on combating the mosquitoes without smelling like a deet factory and compromising the hunt?

Absolutely planned to mag dump on his *** if it went down. With two guides and their rifles on security, I felt a little better about it, plus bowhunter had a 454 Casull on his hip.
Coastal brown bear hopped up on adrenaline or rage are no joke, i totally agree. They go zombie mode sometimes just to teach their attackers a lesson before they heap.
You will all be cordially invited to the show! We are working with a production team in LA that has 5 shows currently on 2 hunting networks. They're interested in the concept. Plus, my hunter got a once a lifetime sheep tag that's very exclusive. Hopefully I will accompany him on that too.
Fingers crossed for episodic broadcast!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts