SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried Wolff's reduced power hammer springs to achieve a lighter trigger?

According to their web site, the stock hammer spring for the P239 is 18 lbs. They offer 16, 14 and 12 lbs alternatives.

I figure the risk of running too light of a spring is a "light primer strike" where the firing pin won't hit hard enough to set off the primer. I would like to think that they wouldn't offer something as light as the 12 lbs spring if it were an issue, but it may be picky with certain primers for certain ammo manufacturers.

Is there anything else I should be aware of, or consider?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I have Wolff reduced power hammer springs in my P6.

For the P6, they make a 3-pack that comes with a 17, 18, and 19 lb spring. The lighter ones are usually reliable, but some folks do report occasional light strikes.

Things to consider:
1. If this will be a carry weapon, make sure you don't make the trigger too light. If you do you could predispose to an ND, or suffer from unreliability due to light strikes.

2. Another cause of light primer strikes is a gunked-up firing pin channel, so make sure yours is clean.

I'd buy one of each of the springs and try them each. They're not expensive and installation is not hard.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Wolff reduced power hammer springs in my P6.

For the P6, they make a 3-pack that comes with a 17, 18, and 19 lb spring. The lighter ones are usually reliable, but some folks do report occasional light strikes.

Things to consider:
1. If this will be a carry weapon, make sure you don't make the trigger too light. If you do you could predispose to an ND, or suffer from unreliability due to light strikes.

2. Another cause of light primer strikes is a gunked-up firing pin channel, so make sure yours is clean.

I'd buy one of each of the springs and try them each. They're not expensive and installation is not hard.
Thank you for your reply! I did buy the set so that I could try them. The P239 was tricky to change, but now that I have a method for getting the pin out of the hammer strut, I could swap to one of the others easily enough. At least now I know that there is a possibility of light strikes, even with these springs, so I'll make testing at the range a priority.

I haven't disassembled the firing pin stuff yet. I'll be tackling that soon while following a Sig Armorers guide.

Thank you as well for the warning about making a ND more possible. My only rationale for lightening the trigger is that it'll still be longer and harder than a Glock, at least for the initial shot. I do my best to follow all of the rules and treat my firearms with care and respect.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
+1 Don't mess with the action of a carry gun. The only thing I would ever change are the sites and grips.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, you guys were right! I didn't doubt it, but I had already ordered and received the springs so I tried the 12 lb hammer spring in my P239.

I finally got to the range today to learn the results.
5 rounds of LAX factory new 9mm 115gr: 2 light primer strikes
5 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 9mm 115gr: 1 light primer strike
5 rounds of Herters 9mm 115gr: 1 light primer strike
5 rounds of Freedom Munitions factory new 9mm 115gr: 1 light primer strike
5 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 9mm 115gr +P: 2 light primer strikes

20-40% light primer strike rate with the 12 lb. hammer spring. While I could try the 14 and the 16, I decided "screw it" and just put the stock 18 back in. The slightly softer trigger just isn't worth the risk of the gun not firing when I need it to. Figured I'd share the results with folks.

·
Administrator
38,392 Posts
Thanks for sharing your findings - that's good information. I have a 14# in one of my 239s and have not experienced any light strikes at all - all the ammo being target variety.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
So, you guys were right! I didn't doubt it, but I had already ordered and received the springs so I tried the 12 lb hammer spring in my P239.

I finally got to the range today to learn the results.
5 rounds of LAX factory new 9mm 115gr: 2 light primer strikes
5 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 9mm 115gr: 1 light primer strike
5 rounds of Herters 9mm 115gr: 1 light primer strike
5 rounds of Freedom Munitions factory new 9mm 115gr: 1 light primer strike
5 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 9mm 115gr +P: 2 light primer strikes

20-40% light primer strike rate with the 12 lb. hammer spring. While I could try the 14 and the 16, I decided "screw it" and just put the stock 18 back in. The slightly softer trigger just isn't worth the risk of the gun not firing when I need it to. Figured I'd share the results with folks.
Good call

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow.

I have a 17# spring in my 229, and have not had a single light strike; the reduced weight of that DA pull has made a big difference for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts