SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Earl, in my mind it all boils down to memory! Your memory, to disengage the safety!
That's why the majority of people, should use a Double Action/Single Action, Double Action Only, or Striker Fired type of pistol for self defense. With the DA/SA design, no levers or grip safety to move or grasp, for the pistol to be able to fire that first round! Just a long and deliberate trigger pull! After the first round, trigger action will be no different between the two, for all practical purposes.
I would choose the P239 over the 1911 Ultra Compact.

· Registered
27 Posts
I've always been no manual safety guy for the memory reason. been CCW a Glock 23 for over a decade now with a SW 642 when clothing limits. NO though sig has pulled me in with the 320c and the P229 since the low profile controls don't get accidentally engaged by my thumb.

Reactions: EARL99208

· Registered
320 Posts
Of those two, P239 hands down. P239 is a very easy shooting, accurate 9mm, the "favorite Sig" and EDC of many here. DA/SA trigger is preferable to cocked 'n locked SA trigger in a carry piece, in my opinion and in my experience.

I've heard many 1911 aficionados tell say or write that they'd never trust their life to a 1911 smaller than a commander/CCO (true 4.25" slide model). I've never heard that said about a particular Sig P22x or Glock model.

· Registered
3,061 Posts
P239 on my hip right now too. It's my EDC 90% of the time as I believe DA/SA is best for CCW and it's a rock solid reliable and great to shoot firearm. When I practice my draw, I "thumb the safety" even though there isn't one so when I am carrying a SA the motion is automatic.

· Registered
60 Posts
239 is my main carry as well. Conceals well and super smooth. IMO its perfect in .357. If its going to be your EDC, I recommend the SAS for the dehorning and of course the Short Reset Trigger.

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANK YOU......

I appreciate all the responses very much.

I've leaned toward the 239 ever since any of these thought processes started about adding another gun into a carry rotation.
I guess the 1911 was only a fleeing thought but thought I'd ask the question to the masses and the more experienced shooters to see some opinions.

Thanks again.

· 🎖USMC Veteran Premium Member
4,567 Posts
They both have their purpose. Most of us (thank God) will never have to use our EDC in self defense. But in the event that it happens, the adrenaline will be pumping. Will you remember to disengage the safety if you are carrying a 1911 cocked and locked? The less you have to think about the better. Think K I S S . My EDC is either a P239 SAS or P229 both in 357 Sig depending on clothing. Controls are the same and I practice with both often. Do yourself a favor and practice with an elevated heart rate now and then. There is a difference in how you react and shoot under stress.

· Registered
157 Posts
Really like my P239, I find it very easy to conceal owb. I can carry 8+1 and carry a spare 10 rnd mag. Even easier to just drop my P938 in a pocket with a destantis superfly holster.

Reactions: EARL99208

· Registered
161 Posts
What other pistols do you own? How much do you train? I see you are leaning toward the 239 and that is certainly a great choice. However, I suspect you will have a learning curve for either choice. If you don't already carry a double action, it will take some time to learn to hit where you want with a quick double action first shot. Some say they had to learn how to switch to a single action second shot but that wasn't an issue for me. On the 1911 as others have said you have a safety. However, the safety is not insurmountable. I carried a 1911 on watch when I was in the Navy. The safety became second nature. Kinda like the safety on my shotgun. I don't have to think about clicking the safety off when a bird flushes, it happens without me thinking about it. To this day, when I shoot a 1911 working the safety is second nature. IMO if you have to think about disengaging the safety, you haven't trained with it enough. Likewise, if your double action shot isn't hitting where you want with a classic Sig, you haven't trained enough. Enjoy the 239. I don't have that model (yet) but I have a 225 and several other classic Sigs. They are great pistols and they are addictive so be careful!

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Although I've almost exclusively carried 1911's until recently and prefer them I would recommend the 239 for most people. Not for having to remember the safety but rather for safety in general, one, unless very familiar and comfortable with a 1911, is far less likely to have a ND/AD with a de-cocked DA.
This^. 1911s are great guns, fun, nostalgic and cool. I would not trust myself to disengage the safety in a stressful situation and I've carried for many years. Unless you have extensive experience and train with that platform regularly I would choose DA/SA or "factory stock" striker for edc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.