SIG Talk banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had it for over a year. I got it in Lafayette, LA. It sat in a gun shop for years and the store owner said it would not sell because of the high price... I made him an offer and he took it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think I have one. How do I post pictures of it?
One thing you might do is weigh you gun on a precise scale. A stainless frame would be heavier than an aluminum frame.

I suspect you have a gun with a very nice after-market hard chrome finish and a custom case. The magazines suggest an after-market finish; I am unaware of SIG ever making stainless, nickeled, or chromed P239 magazines.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have my Sig P239 SAS 40s&w over ten or more years. When I bought this gun new down here in Florida that was the only one they had SAS and one in black. I have barrels in 9mm and .357 Sig and CT grips I installed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Steve, some SS alloys, such as SS 316, are essentially nonmagnetic and would not attract even a strong rare-earth magnet. I do not know what SS alloy is used by Sig Sauer for their slides and/or frames, but it is interesting to note that the magnetic susceptibility of even essentially nonmagnetic SS alloys can be significantly increased by a thermal treatment (annealing) or even by pressing, working or machining the part.

Owning a machine shop and having machined tons SST I would guess that Sig is using 416SST. 416SST is a medium hardening steel. The 300 series SST are not magnetic as supplied. The 400 series are heat treatable and some grades can be hardened to 60Rc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There's never been a P239 with a steel frame and I seriously doubt there ever will be. Now there was talk from SIG about making a steel frame version of the P225A1 but I think theyve decided not to produce it.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Gorgeous, Monty!!
I would never want to shoot it if I had it. :D

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
55,365 Posts
Steve, some SS alloys, such as SS 316, are essentially nonmagnetic and would not attract even a strong rare-earth magnet. I do not know what SS alloy is used by Sig Sauer for their slides and/or frames, but it is interesting to note that the magnetic susceptibility of even essentially nonmagnetic SS alloys can be significantly increased by a thermal treatment (annealing) or even by pressing, working or machining the part.

Owning a machine shop and having machined tons SST I would guess that Sig is using 416SST. 416SST is a medium hardening steel. The 300 series SST are not magnetic as supplied. The 400 series are heat treatable and some grades can be hardened to 60Rc.
some good points, thanks but.............i've got a few all stainless sigs & none of the frames are non magnetic.

thnkfrst:
magnet

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
some good points, thanks but.............i've got a few all stainless sigs & none of the frames are non magnetic.

thnkfrst:
magnet
Correct. Same here. In fact, though I can't point to it just now - I recall posting some photos of a couple with a magnet hanging under the frame.

The stainless Sigs I have all hold magnets under the dust covers.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
6 Posts
To answer some of the questions, this is a brand new gun. I am the only and original owner. The way you see it is the way it came from the factory, and that’s the case it came in from the factory. Some people said it looks like a “presentation” model. And by the way, It’s unfired.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
<sigh> I get so tired of this. However, because I'm trying to be a nice guy - you can sent it to me and I can shoot it for you - you know, to verify it's safe to shoot. As always, I can cover the ammo myself if I need to - since you would cover shipping...:lol:

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
To answer some of the questions, this is a brand new gun. I am the only and original owner. The way you see it is the way it came from the factory, and that’s the case it came in from the factory. Some people said it looks like a “presentation” model. And by the way, It’s unfired.
So, does a magnet stick to the frame?

<sigh> I get so tired of this. However, because I'm trying to be a nice guy - you can sent it to me and I can shoot it for you - you know, to verify it's safe to shoot. As always, I can cover the ammo myself if I need to - since you would cover shipping...:lol:
Gotta' ask Steve, has anyone ever taken you up on your fine offer?

61 - 80 of 90 Posts