SIG Talk banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went by verbage on the slide, you may be correct that the frame is aluminum. I didn't state anything other than what is on the slide, I stand enlightened, thank-you.

·
Registered
55,365 Posts
Well, he didn't exactly "swear proof positive" now did he?
kinda/sorta did:
"Gentlemen, my name is Frank, was a past gun dealer for about 15 years, I have a Sig 239 Stainless, new in box".

many 229's on gb are listed as stainless but few are the all stainless 229st.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Month: April

Features:
SIG GOTMs

Model: P239

**Satin nickel frame**, slide, controls, and grip screws.
Caliber: .40 S&W
Hogue finger-groove rubber grips

Part Number: 239-40-APR05

Total Production: 210

This is the Electroless Nickel plate over aluminum frames they've used for years.

For example - my Herndon P220 is the same but not with the stainless slide required for .40 S&W.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I picked up this nickel P239 from artimus009 here on SigTalk. The Sig CS rep I talked to wasn't able to tell me when it was made, so I'll have to try them again to see if I can get an exact date. When I bought it, he included his original receipt dated 06/2005, which puts it right there in the time frame to be the 04/2005 GOTM.

I just got it back Friday after sending it off to Sig for the service package. Compared to my nitron P239, it is 4 oz heavier. I changed the grips out to the Hogue aluminum ones. The gloss is OK, but I wish it was the matte finish to match my other SS models.

View attachment 16128

View attachment 16129
That is SWEET!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just to chime in, the density of aluminum is 2.7 g/cm3 and that of stainless steel, depending on the composition, from 7.85 to 8.05 g/cm3.

A true SS frame would have to be almost 3 times heavier (with the action etc. removed to make an apples-to-apples comparison) than an aluminum alloy frame, something that would be very easy to verify.

For example, a P229 EE is 6 oz lighter than a SS P229, both with a beaver tail for a fairer comparison.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
During the time when I was working for SIG Sauer in Eckernförde/Germany (2002) my duty was to run the milling machines that fabricated the frames for the P-239 and P-220. I never ever came across any stainless steel forgings for the P-239. Those were always the aluminum slices, cut from a profil bar. I doubt that there were ever a P-239 with a stainless steel frame being that that particular weapon was designed as a carry/backup weapon. A stainless steel frame would defeat that purpose because of the increased weight.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Here's a few weight comparisons of my nickel P239 versus my standard P239, the weights of the frames are near identical. The slide on the nickel one is SS.

.40 Nickel frame (no grips): 9.241 oz, 9mm Black frame (no grips): 9.227 oz.
.40 SS slide & barrel: 17.298 oz, 9mm Black Cerakoted slide: 15.220 oz
.40 SS slide (no barrel): 13.746 9mm slide (no barrel): 11.693 oz

·
Registered
517 Posts
So there's no doubt both frames are made of aluminum alloy.

Anybody claiming to have a SS framed P239 should just weigh his/her frame (no grips) to compare to your 9 1/4 oz. value.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Weighing is a lot of unnecessary trouble. Simply stick a magnet to it - stainless, magnet won't stick - not stainless.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
517 Posts
Steve, some SS alloys, such as SS 316, are essentially nonmagnetic and would not attract even a strong rare-earth magnet. I do not know what SS alloy is used by Sig Sauer for their slides and/or frames, but it is interesting to note that the magnetic susceptibility of even essentially nonmagnetic SS alloys can be significantly increased by a thermal treatment (annealing) or even by pressing, working or machining the part.

For more info, see Is stainless steel non-magnetic? and Article: Composition effects on the magnetic permeability of austenitic stainless steels

If the bet involved me personally, I'd insist on using a scale! ;)

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Steve, some SS alloys, such as SS 316, are essentially nonmagnetic and would not attract even a strong rare-earth magnet. I do not know what SS alloy is used by Sig Sauer for their slides and/or frames,........

If the bet involved me personally, I'd insist on using a scale! ;)
I'm with you Tony, but I have a few stainless Sigs, including old ST's and a newer X-Five. All the frames and the stainless slides I have grab a magnet post-haste.

One last note - the weight difference in a stainless frame and an aluminum frame is enough that you really don't need a scale to tell.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Interesting! It looks like the Sigs are made forma different alloy than sinks! :D

And yes, I agree, the weight difference should suffice.

I wonder, however, if there's a difference in the tone of sound if you strike the frame carefully with a plastic mallet?

I don't have a SS gun to try... :lol:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
All Stainless P239

I am advised that the city of Detroit had a run of P239 all stainless guns made,
limited to metro Detroit PD with around 50 units total.
A friend was doing research on a P239 and this info came from Sig customer service.
TAIK :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sig 239 Nickel

I am an original owner of a Sig 239 nickel in.40.Purchased in June of 2005. Told there were under 50 guns in a .40 and about 150 in 9mm. Beautiful gun shoots amazingly accurate. Never seen or heard of an all stainless model. Not sure I'd part with mine, but may consider an offer.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts