SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the guide rod is stainless steel but is hollow. I have already bought one that isn't hollow but would I have any problems using the hollow one?
A friend had a hollow one,I can't remember if it was poly or SS but it broke at the range on him.
I really like the P239 since changing grips to the Hogue rubber grips. The SRT trigger is awesome and I think all Sigs should come with the SRT trigger and last I like that mine is SAS. Not much poking me when I carry it. It is my edc gun now since I have been to the range and shot it a few hundred times.
Next purchase will be the P220. Not sure which model I will be getting but likely the smaller carry one so that I can have a 45 that I can carry.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
Shawn156, the original P6, P220, and P226 had hollow guide rods that were carbon steel, any they were sufficient for duty use. Can't vouch per se for a hollow stainless steel unit, but if factory, no doubt, it will be up to the task.
A polymer I could maybe understand breaking, but I'm not aware of Sig utilizing them, but I am aware of Beretta doing such, as I have a 96, and have replaced mine with a Wolff unit.
Your desire for a 220 is understandable. I've got an older one, that I used to carry quite often. After some updates, including an SRT, G-10 grips, and a new pair of Sig Lites, it's ready to go again. It's not a "carry",, but then again, it's pre-accessory rail!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
I've only seen the black hollow steel guide rods on P239s. I would assume that they are carbon steel. Is this stainless steel rod that you speak of factory stock? Is it silver?

I would have no concern running the OEM hollow steel guide rod.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
I have a couple. Both hollow steel that's black. The one in 357Sig has a few thousand rounds through it with no issues. No idea how many rounds the 9mm has - also no issues.

You don't say what caliber your friends is but 357Sig is pretty punishing on a smaller gun. I feel like if mine is still doing it's job after the rounds it's seen, you friends failure is an anomaly. If it were me, I'd contact Sig for a replacement.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I have four 239s in calibers of 40 and 9mm .....all are hollow guide rods and have near had an issue with any of them. I would be interested in hearing more details about your friend's gun issue.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a lot of hollow guide rods, 239s, M11-A1s, 229s and 220C, I noticed that my full sized 227s are hollow while the compacts are solid, same with the 229's some are hollow and some are solid. Don't know the logic but I can't see any issue for the job they perform. I haven't seen a plastic one yet but that would bother me just because.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His wasn't a Sig but can't remember which brand it was.
Thanks for all the feedback and I'll save my money for something else like a box of ammo!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a P226R police trade-in dating from 2009 that came with a polymer guide rod. The head has a tendency to shear off from what I've seen.

I've never had a problem with the hollow steel rods, but I always replace them with solid ones.

Polymer Guide Rod:

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
I have 3 P239's. The 2016 SAS 357 has a hollow guide rod and the 2010 & 2006 have solid guide rods.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It sounds like the P220 SAS G2 Carry is the only logical choice for you...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My 239 had a polymer rod but I changed to a Bedair Stainless one. My slide had a small burr that was putting a gouge in it. I smoothed the burr and changed to the stainless.

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Shawn156, the original P6, P220, and P226 had hollow guide rods that were carbon steel, any they were sufficient for duty use. Can't vouch per se for a hollow stainless steel unit, but if factory, no doubt, it will be up to the task.
A polymer I could maybe understand breaking, but I'm not aware of Sig utilizing them, but I am aware of Beretta doing such, as I have a 96, and have replaced mine with a Wolff unit.
Your desire for a 220 is understandable. I've got an older one, that I used to carry quite often. After some updates, including an SRT, G-10 grips, and a new pair of Sig Lites, it's ready to go again. It's not a "carry",, but then again, it's pre-accessory rail!
Wow, looks good with the grips. My 1995 would probably look good having that done too ... hmmmm

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did go ahead and replace it. It wasn't an expensive upgrade and I feel more comfortable carrying it now with the new guide rod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts