SIG Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems getting Sig P239 magazine springs for maintenance. Brownells, Top Gun Supply, Numrich, etc doesn't carry them anymore. Even Wolff Gun Springs doesn't make this particular spring. Does anyone out there know of a substitute that would work?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
I'm having problems getting Sig P239 magazine springs for maintenance. Brownells, Top Gun Supply, Numrich, etc doesn't carry them anymore. Even Wolff Gun Springs doesn't make this particular spring. Does anyone out there know of a substitute that would work?
Since I don't have a magazine available, can you supply a photo of the disassembled magazine? Using "graph paper" for a background? This will help determine size.

From Numrich's parts breakdown, design looks no different from the original P225, the followers appear alike, along with floorplate insert. I understand that the .357/.40 magazines are slightly wider than the 9mm, and you haven't stated what size rounds yours are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Willard:
You had asked for a picture on graph paper so here it is. I checked my shop and found I still have a few new Sig P239 mag springs (#34239630) in stock, some new Sig P225 mag springs (#34225630) and some new Wolf P225 mag springs (stock #75064). As you can see, the coils in the P239 spring gets narrower about 4 coils from the top while the P225 springs are longer and the coils are uniform all the way to the top. I'm going to stuff some of these P225 springs in my P239 later this week and try them at the range. I'll let you know if they work. What I worry about is if they are as reliable as the stock P239 mag springs for a self defense gun. I sure wish I could still get the factory P239 mag springs like the old days. Does anyone have a contact in Germany who would ship them to you? Thanks for any info you could give me.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
Good thing grandkids are around when it comes to our technology deficiencies, I guess!

The 225 springs may not work, as the narrower coils at the top of the spring are normally there to fit inside a synthetic follower. From what I observed from the generic parts breakdown, it appeared the follower was steel, as the 225 follower was, and photos also appear to agree it's steel.

I'd try trimming one of the Wolff springs to the same # of coils overall, and seeing if it will work. You may lose a round of capacity without trimming the spring, or it doesn't fit behind that front "shelf" of the follower that engages the slide stop, but it would keep the nose of the follower "up", preventing "nose dives".

Good luck with your experiment!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.