SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting but I've been lurking for months. This is a great resource and I appreciate all the info you members share. I recently bought a p239 sas gen2 da/sa 9mm and finally took her out today.

I put about 100 rounds through it of ball ammo and it was flawless and very accurate as expected. The only defensive ammo I had on hand was hornady critical defense. I had read previously that the 239 doesn't feed those well and sure enough I had the same problem. Probably 4 out of the 16 rounds failed to feed. It appeared that the polymer tip was getting hung up on the feed ramp.

I know there are many great jhp options out there, but I am asking the 239 crowd specifically what the have had the best reliability with. Please comment with your round of choice. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Each gun tends to have it's own personality, so to speak. You really need to find and confirm which ammo feeds reliably in your gun. I would highly recommend any of these rounds for your defensive needs, they all have extensive data supporting their viability. Either of the Federal HST rounds would be high on my list.

Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
Remington Golden Saber bonded 124 gr +P JHP (GSB9MMD)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester 124 gr +P bonded JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P PT
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Speer G2 147 gr PT
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I ran 50 rounds of Speer Gold dot through mine with no problems. Mine is 357 Sig, but I doubt that makes much difference.

·
Registered
594 Posts
For my P239 Gen 2 SAS 9mm, I've settled on Remington Golden Saber 124 GR JHP. This round feeds through both my 10 and 8 round mags with no failures.

Best price I can find is at SGAmmo at $11.95 a box of 25. However they have been out of stock for a month or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Federal HST. Retains its weight and my does this bullet open up in a great way. I don't think many would walk after getting hit with this round.

·
Registered
285 Posts
* Hornady Critical Defense for winter carry (no issues with mine)
* SIG V-Crown for summer carry

Works for me.

Old No7

·
Registered
19,525 Posts
I'm running 147 gr Speer Gold Dots in my P239 right now. I'm thinking about switching to 124 gr +P sometime this year.

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
I like to run the Federal HST 124 gr +P in my P239 SAS Gen 2 9mm.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
SIG V-Crown 125gr, .357SIG in both of our SIGs. P239 for my wife and P229 for me.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
I can't comment from the 239 standpoint on 9mm, but I've got a P6 and P225 with approximately the same barrel lengths. There are a couple basic schools of thought on this topic. I tend to lean toward the 147 grain offerings, currently Federal HST and Hydra-Shok, with the HST as my primary choice. As others have stated, it's somewhat dependent on what your 239 likes to a point, it doesn't need to have match grade accuracy, but by the same token, groups shouldn't look like shotgun patterns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I was leaning toward HSTs or gold dots , as I have had good results with them in other pistols. I think for now I'll get a box of each. I have never carried 147 grain. So I'll have to look into that as well.

I have to say again just how accurate this pistol is. In SA I was having a blast getting double taps on target. Normally it takes me some time to learn how to shoot a particular pistol well. I can see this is the start of a long and happy relationship with this 239.

I originally bought this because I decided I wanted wanted my carry gun to be my best shooting gun. I have owned and carried many small 9mms and revolvers and I shot them well enough but never as well as my full size pistols. So far this sig seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Speer Gold Dots 124 or 147 or Hornady Criticial Duty. The top brands will all serve the purpose though. Some guns prefer certain loads so try several and see what feeds reliably and shots best POA for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem with my P239 SAS 9mm. Wouldn't feed any HP, even Sig V-Crowns. Sent it off to Sig and they polished the feed ramp and did what else they do (for free). Works much better but still snags on some, like Critical Duty. Feeds Gold Dots and V-Crown without issue. YMMV....but consider sending it to Sig. Turnaround was only 10 days or so, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I run Fed HST 147 grain in my EDC P239SAS

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I have a 239, but it's in 40. So I can't help with a bullet selection. I like the gun and shoot it well. A guy could do a whole lot worse than a 239, IMO.
Hey, another pilot!! Welcome, there are a few of us here. For the most part, we are tolerated pretty well by the non-pilot majority.

"A guy could do a whole lot worse than a 239, IMO."

Wait a sec' now, if you are alluding to a Glock by that remark, GCBHM will be along shortly to straighten you (or me) out!:p:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts