SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the bug for a single stack DA/SA Sig for summer carry and have been trying to decide which route to go. I can get a new P239 SAS Gen 2 9mm for $900 at my LGS or I can wait it out and try and find a used P239 which seem to go for $5-600 around here.

Is the SAS worth the extra $3-400? I can always add the SRT for $50 if an older one doesn't have it and may change the sights out for Xrays anyway so I don't care if they are dull. Any advice what to watch out for with a used one?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
The new one may seem pricey, but remember it comes with a lifetime warranty...

As far as a used one, check frame rail wear, remember you can replace almost any part but the frame... because when you replace it... you have a "different pistol" (serial #)!!

Used is fine, abused isn't... if you don't feel comfortable, some pictures here will normally get you a quick response, by some very knowledgeable individuals.

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
Of all the SIG models that are available with the SAS treatment, I think the P239 benefits the least from it because it's pretty "SASsy" in its base form.

You might want to consider a used one chambered in 357 or 40. The P239 can do all three calibers with just a barrel swap (plus recoil spring and mags for the 9mm) but you have to start with one chambered in 357 or 40. Also, you can't run 40 out of P239 357 mags. 357 out of 40 mags is OK though.

As far as what to look for on a used one, the P239 has no weak traits that I know of. Just be mindful of the condition of the frame rails as you would be buying any used aluminum alloy framed SIG.

·
Registered
19,531 Posts
I personally don't think the SAS treatment is necessary on a CCW weapon. I carry a normal P239 everyday with no issues.

I'd get the used one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
what bblr said.....

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Save yourself some money and go the used/pre owned route. Just do your research and get as much background as possible before purchase. I also agree with the other members on the fact that there is not much difference between the SAS and plain Jane model in the 239.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I have P239's in both SAS and regular. IMHO the SAS treatment is not worth the extra money on the P239.

As others have advised, buy a used one in any of the 3 calibers available and you will be happy.

Also as others have wisely advised, check the frame rail for excessive wear and you should be good to go. Best of luck.

Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
142 Posts
keep checking Gunbroker, I have seen some used 239 SASs on there recently

·
Registered
156 Posts
I carry a P239 9mm SAS model. I bought mine brand new for $775 out the door. It was a special order someone didn't come back to buy so they wanted to unload it.
Mine has the SRT trigger,the SAS is nice to have but I don't conceal carry. I use an owb retention holster I bought from Sig. I'd go with a used one and put the extra into new Hogue Rubber Grips. It seemed to make a difference to me and makes the gun feel better when holding or shooting it. Mine is also a custom shop model,whatever that's suppose to mean,but it's written in gold on the side of the gun.

I'll admit they aren't the prettiest guns to look at,but it has became one of my favorite guns to carry. It's really a preference to buy new or used depending on where the used one is coming from and how much wear it has. I guess I got lucky and got a decent deal on mine when I purchased it. I was looking for a P229c in 40 caliber when I came across my P239 and don't regret buying it or having buyers remorse. I also think the Sig Lights are sufficient for the P239 if the one you are looking at has night sights already. I'd save the money.
1 thing I don't like is the hollow guide rod. I ordered a replacement today for $19 shipped.
Good luck on whichever one you decide. They are nice cc guns.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have been looking into this more....

Used 239 has typically no SRT and none or weak night sights for ~$600 plus transfer cost
New 239 has night sights, no SRT and is $800 around here
New 239 SAS has night sights and SRT and is $900 around here

So I think I am trying to talk myself into the used route gets me the gun for say $650, +$50 for SRT, +$125 for sights so now I am at $825. Is it worth $75 to save and have a used gun that isn't under warranty?

See what I did there.....talking myself into it :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
So I have been looking into this more....

Used 239 has typically no SRT and none or weak night sights for ~$600 plus transfer cost
New 239 has night sights, no SRT and is $800 around here
New 239 SAS has night sights and SRT and is $900 around here

So I think I am trying to talk myself into the used route gets me the gun for say $650, +$50 for SRT, +$125 for sights so now I am at $825. Is it worth $75 to save and have a used gun that isn't under warranty?

See what I did there.....talking myself into it :D
You talked me into it! got a P239 SAS 357 on GB for $799 Brand New FFL transfer will be $25....So at $825 I met your used fix up price. Took me over a month to find one at the price I wanted.

Reactions: Willard

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You talked me into it! got a P239 SAS 357 on GB for $799 Brand New FFL transfer will be $25....So at $825 I met your used fix up price. Took me over a month to find one at the price I wanted.

Awesome! Congrats!

I bought the SAS P239 in 9 and love it. Great carry gun. Love how thin the mags are to carry a spare or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'll be the wet blanket.

I owned a 239 SAS gen 2 in 9mm. Its a fine gun, but doesn't do anything great.

Its too big and heavy to carry given its capacity.
Its too small to shoot for an extended range day.
The trigger is fine, but if you have normal hands. The trigger will annoy you greatly. The slim profile makes it easier to carry, and much harder to shoot.

I had it and sold it. I couldn't give the gun away.

I'm not the guy to say get a Glock 26 and be done with it. I carry an HK p2000sk with the full Bruce Gray carry treatment. I have 11 rounds in a package that is smaller than the 239.

If you really want one, buy it used. Don't take the depreciation.

My 3 cents.

·
Registered
19,531 Posts
I'll be the wet blanket.

I owned a 239 SAS gen 2 in 9mm. Its a fine gun, but doesn't do anything great.

Its too big and heavy to carry given its capacity.
Its too small to shoot for an extended range day.

I
My 3 cents.
I disagree. I carry one everyday. It's fantastic for my needs. I don't want a tiny pocket carry gun or a plastic toy. I want a combat handgun in a smaller package. I don't want a different manual-of-arms either. So, for a SIG guy, a P239 is a great carry gun.

If you shoot glocks, get a 26 or 43. If you shoot SIGs and don't want to pocket-carry, the P239 is your gun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I disagree. I carry one everyday. It's fantastic for my needs. I don't want a tiny pocket carry gun or a plastic toy. I want a combat handgun in a smaller package. I don't want a different manual-of-arms either. So, for a SIG guy, a P239 is a great carry gun.

If you shoot glocks, get a 26 or 43. If you shoot SIGs and don't want to pocket-carry, the P239 is your gun.
Only the bolded above is NOT debatable. Everything else is. My post was opinion as well, I know that. To each their own. I think there are much better options than the Sig 239.

I also don't understand the "combat handgun" statement (underlined). Are military men and women (world wide) carrying a Sig 239 in combat? Curious.

Again, I'd buy it used in case you don't like it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I went the used route as well...239 in 9mm with the Hogue rubber finger groove grips and 4 mags for $600 out the door.
I felt I made a good valuable choice.

Good luck in your decision process..... Whatever you decide will be the correct choice for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts