Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong.
I am a new purchaser of a P238 and a new gun user.
I am taking the NRA pistol class on line.
Since I don't have a de-cocker, can someone tell me what I do when I don't want to shoot and my pistol is cocked.
I hope this makes sense, since I'm a newbie, and not even sure of terms.
Thank you.
Best,
Joli:eek:

p.s. I'm coming to this as a newbie preppie/survivalist.

· Registered
5,817 Posts
BigRedOne gave you the proper instructions if you have a cocked and loaded P238 and wish to unload the gun, removing all cartridges.

Most people carry the P238 with a cartridge in the chamber, the hammer cocked, and safety engaged (up, or on). This is referred to a "condition 1" or more colloquially as "cocked and locked". If you were finished shooting and did not wish to unload the weapon, you would simply engage the safety, with the hammer still cocked, and holster the gun.

The P238, and it's bigger stablemate the P938, are convenient in that the slide can be manipulated with the safety engaged IF the hammer is cocked - as in cocked and locked. This, as BigRedOne said, makes it both easy and safe to unload, or load, the weapon.

There are two distinct and very safe "safeties". The safety lever itself locks the hammer back and off the sear. As long as the safety lever is up, that hammer cannot fall. There is also a firing pin block safety that operates automatically to bock the firing pin from going forward to strike the primer unless and until the trigger is held back. While you are manually manipulating the slide to load or unload the pistol, both of these safeties ensure that things won't go bang unintentionally.

· Registered
1,798 Posts
Unless I miss read the above.This was left out. After you are sure the gun is clear(no ammo in breach) you pull the trigger. This releases the hammer. Again you must make sure gun is not loaded

· 🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Welcome from Florida

· Registered
67 Posts
Hi and welcome to our forum.
I'm by no means an expert but in the last 37 years I managed to acquire some experience with many handguns so now I'd be glad to share what I've learned.
This is one of my favourite gun forums among the several I belong to; I'm sure you'll like it too.

· Registered
347 Posts
When sig came out with the P-238 years ago I laughed at it because of the price. I thought who would pay $650.00+ for a .380 pistol. I was carrying a Ruger LCP I bought new for $215.00. I bought one about a year later, and love the gun. It's my summer carry here in Las Vegas with shorts and tee shirts. Yes I carry cocked and locked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.