SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this with admitting I bought my first Glock in 1994. I wasn’t a regular shooter until roughly 2011, and along the way I’ve been through a few Glocks, a Ruger Mk III, and a Smith Shield. In the course of time I quit shooting the Ruger, for its point of aim was simply too far away from my beloved Glocks.

Then concealed carry came to the worst run state in the nation, and I decided the Shield wasn’t small enough for pocket carry. As it happens I admire a decent trigger, and also won’t carry chambered (let’s not get into it. Please.)

My search for a small quality handgun almost ended with the Kimber Micro, but I couldn’t bring myself to spend money with Kimber. The Colt Mustang was next, but I came to learn that the aftermarket had more embraced a variant called a Sig Sauer P238. Decision made, I ordered up the SAS version.

Stupid gun. It has no business, none at all, shooting as reliably as my Glocks do. None. And thank you very much, but I’ve quite a bit of time getting my Glock triggers to be “decent”. Yet this thing comes from the box that nice? Bah..

Then we get to the pointability problem. You see, the F*^B !! P238 points exactly where I move my hand. It’s not perfect, but it’s such a naturally pointing gun that’s it’s a bit embarrassing. I may not be a 1911 fan, but Mr. Browning was no dummy, and Gaston, well.. it seems we don’t agree on the palmswell angles he seems determined to maintain. (I won’t get into all the effort I’ve gone to getting my Glocks to point well. Suffice it to say “lots”.)

Net: The P238 was simply a wonderful and amazingly easy to shoot little gun. And did I mention the night sites? Velly velly nice!

Naturally, I sold it.

Why? Well, it wasn’t perfect: 1) I shoot my Shield, only slightly bigger, far more accurately. Close really, to the full size Glocks (22, 24c and a 20). 2) The .380 round is on the low end of acceptable power. At best. Yes, I’d heard over and over I should have bought 9mm, but the P938 had a poor rep, and I wanted the smallest quality handgun with a truly light slide pull. (Remember, I will not carry chambered). Besides, I’m already inventorying most calibers, why not add .380? (What, it’s the same price as .40? That’s why!)

Now I’m a P938 SAS ower, and well, I dunno. Supposedly the mainspring problem is overcome, and certainly it’s as pointable as the 238. Loaded with Fed 124gr HST I no longer feel underpowered for any human confrontation. The slightly longer site radius helps accuracy too, though I’ve only put 20 rounds through it so far, so that jury is still out.

But it is decidedly not perfect too. I’ve long fingers, yet I find the slide release to simply be too awkward for reliable use. And as I shoot with only 1 -3 rounds in a mag at a time, mag changes are something I consider. Problems here are threefold: 1) The release is simply too far forward. 2) The release is far too stiff. 3) The release is too small to engage your thumb well.

And why does this ship with the 7 round mag? Dumb. If I wanted something the bulk of the Shield I’d carry that. But I don’t. Sure, I can (and did) order the 6 round. But I shoudn’t have had too.

And have you loaded one of the mags? Good lord man! Did that take the spring from a 1 ton truck?

Finally, the trigger on this is gritty and kind of “ugh”. Not Glock bad, but not what I’d expected either.

My point is that in my short time with the P238 I was well and truly impressed, and felt Sig to be pretty well thought out gun maker. Yet an awkward slide release, a gritty trigger, and a magazine not oriented to the market niche the guns fills are simply obvious flaws in the 938.

Btw, I endorse the “Sig P290 magazine in a P938” mod found on the internet. I don’t hear anything good about Promag, but I can tell you the mod worked well on a factory Sig mag.

So, any suggestions for an extended slide release for the P938?
Anybody heard of a MagGuts conversion for a P290? Or the 6 round P938?

Thanks ya'll!

D

·
Registered
503 Posts
As a counterpoint, I have both the 238 and 938. Both of mine operate and feel very similar exhibiting the same qualities you extol in the 238. Trigger pulls are nice and smooth with nearly identical pull weights. Both have been perfectly reliable after several hundred rounds each. I did order more flush mags for both for better concealability. The only gripe I had was the ambi safety on the 938. I didn't like that it touched my right trigger hand and I had concerns about it accidentally disengaging as I wear it OWB and cocked+locked. So I just ordered and swapped in the 238 safety. I use my 238 IWB. Very happy with my pair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only a P238 but have shot a P938 in the past. And I would agree, with the lengthen grip to accommodate the 9mm round, the slide release is a bit short for my hand.

And I think ymmv when it comes to trigger and the one I shot was quite clean.

As for ext mag do all P938 come with them or like the P238 some do some don't?

Posted from my Android

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why didn't you get a Glock 42 or 43 then?
A good question. I bought the 238 just before the SS glocks came out. As you can see I thought a lot of it, and so the 938 was a natural progression. Now one could question that, but remember I find the sig more natural to point too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yours came with a 7rd mag? nice. I read that you don't like them, but they do make it much easier to shoot well. and I don't have big hands. the gun pocket carries just fine with the 7rd mag, so that's what I use, after having to buy some. I never carry mine with the 6rd mag, and it certainly doesn't have the bulk of a shield. I had one of those, and they do not slip into a pocket nearly as easily. So I sold it. I found that against my G27, the shield (to me) wasn't as accurate, and if I was going to be stuck with carry IWB I may as well use the Glock. If your looking for a 6rd mag, want to trade? lol.

as for not carrying with a round in the chamber, I realize this is your choice. but I do suggest you get comfortable with it, and trust the safety. Ive never had mine snick off in my pocket. ever. Maybe put a snap cap or a primer only round in the chamber and carry it a while to see if you ever had an issue. My bet is, you wont. as long as you use a quality holster, whether IWB or in a pocket (my choice).

I carry this little gun 100% of the time in the spring to fall months. Its a great gun. As for accuracy, at the ranges I'd ever have to shoot it; its very accurate. the sights they use on it are as good as any (almost). I WISH all my gins had these sights. Guess I need to save for Trijicon HD's on everything.

and as for the slide stop.... don't use it. then its not a problem. train yourself to use large muscle groups and grab the slide with your whole hand (aka sling shotting the slide after it locks back). in a stressful situation, it'll be much more reliable than trying to fumble with a little lever.

as for the trigger, I agree its not perfect. Mine would pinch me a bit, and the grooves would tear my finger pad to schreds. Firt I sanded it down and re blacked it with a sharpie. Then after not being happy with that, I bought a flat trigger form Galloway precision. That = awesome.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A good question. I bought the 238 just before the SS glocks came out. As you can see I thought a lot of it, and so the 938 was a natural progression. Now one could question that, but remember I find the sig more natural to point too.
After I posted that I had the chance to lay my P238 on top of my Wife's G42 and see that the Glock is considerable longer anyway.

Randy

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
" . . . And as I shoot with only 1 -3 rounds in a mag at a time, . . ."

What?

The mag springs are stiff for the last couple of rounds to begin with, your's will never take a set and get easier to load if you are loading 1 to 3 rounds in your mags! Load them up all the way and leave them loaded for a few days anyway. Get an Uplula loader to make life easier. When I carry my P938, I have one in the chamber and 7 in the mag, along with at least one spare 7 round mag, sometimes two.

The trigger, yes, it's gritty and way too heavy for a smaller SAO gun in my opinion. Mine is almost glass smooth, no creep, crisp break at 3 pounds (measured with Lyman digital) and has no overtravel. My Wilson Combat 1911 trigger doesn't have much on it - really it's that good. So it's possible to have an excellent trigger on a P938 with some gunsmithing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am a left-handed shooter and the P938 is as close to a glove in my hands as any of my handguns. I cannot say enough good things about the P938.

·
Registered
827 Posts
For me, my aluminum frame P238 is the optimal CCW pistol. I love everything about it. All of my pistols are SAO, and I'm a condition 1 guy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have owned and shot a lot of pistols. Most were revolvers or SO of the 1911 variety. I finally started using a Kel Tec PF9 as mu primary carry gun. It was reliable with a little tuning and accurate. I hated the DA trigger. So when I saw the P938 I knew it was my new carry gun. I haven't had any of the issues you list. It shoots and carries great with the seven round mag. Two seven round mags of Liberty Civil Defense should be sufficient for most threats.

It is just me but I cant bring myself to buy from S&W after the sellout to the gun grabbers in the 80's.

Just my two cents....The Sig 938 is excellent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
P938

I carry my 938 daily. I honestly think it's the perfect carry gun. Light but not overly abusive recoil wise and accurate at 10 yards. I've got two or three options for EDC, .45s and G19, but the Sig beats them out in concealability and function. I went and looked at a P320 yesterday and have to admit that I walked away from a good sale. It was the same size as my Glock 19 and being that the small frame modules are hard to find didn't offer anything that I didn't already have with the P938. In the end the 938 offers concealability with a proven caliber that is hard to match. I recently picked up a Hell Bent OWB holster and couldn't be happier with how it carries the pistol

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have had a love/hate relationship with the 938 for two years! I bought one and sold it and then I bought another 6 months later. I love the size and the weight but its simply too small for my hands to accurately shoot at 11 yards and I am not a fan of the recoil—its great for a pistol that size, but I prefer something a bit more mellow. They are very well made and if you can get it to work for you, they're awesome! I prefer my M11-A1, yeah she weighs a bit more but she's as dependable as a Golden Retriever!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I might be singing a different song if I hadn't taken the time to get my 938 back to Sig after some initial FTF and mag drop occurrences. Sigs CS is second to none though and being as this is my first Sig, I was impressed. I have ranged it enough now to carry, I'm better than body mass accurate with it out to 50 feet, it doesn't print much at all while pocket carrying, and it's very comfortable to carry. I am not into banging the drum for my piece vice others that are out there and I am just glad now that I spent a little extra for the caliber, size, reliability, and looks of my scorpion. My next Sig will likely be a 226 but I have a revolver I want and a Ruger LG in .243 before that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts