SIG Talk banner

P238 strange feature?

993 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ThnkFrst
I cleaned the 238 today, and was thinking how my TT33 has a half cock safety. So, I pulled the hammer back ever so slightly till it clicked. It was less than a 1.4 inch from the firing pin. With safety off, it actually acts as a severely hard DA pull.
Its not a safety, half cock feature, but, it is strong enough to act like a heavy pull DA. I am going to try it at the range, just to see if it works, which it should.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

馃帠USA Veteran
It's called the "intercept notch" and is featured on most SIG pistols. It's function is to catch the hammer (i.e., intercept) if it falls accidentally from the cocked position or if the pistol is dropped on the hammer. In that sense, it is a safety.

I don't recommend pulling the trigger hard enough to drop the hammer from the intercept notch for the simple reason that the notch isn't precision machined like the SA notch is and doing so could damage the face of the sear. At any rate, it shouldn't fall with enough force to ignite the primer.

Registered
OP, thinkfrst gave a great answer to your question, as he frequently does.

I wanted to comment on your comparison to your TT33. I love my TT33 (1938 Russian Tula) that is built like a tank and is fun to shoot, but golly that pistol is the least safe pistol I have ever owned or held for that matter. I always wondered how many Russian military members accidently shot themselves or their comrades. Contrast it to the P238 that is one of the most "safe" guns I own. Two wonderful guns to enjoy, but two that are vastly different regarding safety features.

Registered
OP, thinkfrst gave a great answer to your question, as he frequently does.

I wanted to comment on your comparison to your TT33. I love my TT33 (1938 Russian Tula) that is built like a tank and is fun to shoot, but golly that pistol is the least safe pistol I have ever owned or held for that matter. I always wondered how many Russian military members accidently shot themselves or their comrades. Contrast it to the P238 that is one of the most "safe" guns I own. Two wonderful guns to enjoy, but two that are vastly different regarding safety features.
I remember reading a comment from a Russian Infantry Officer regarding the safeties on their weapons...He said, It is a gun, it is not meant to be safe, it's meant to kill. I will refer you to the safety on a 91/30...what's the point!

馃帠USA Veteran
I remember reading a comment from a Russian Infantry Officer regarding the safeties on their weapons...He said, It is a gun, it is not meant to be safe, it's meant to kill. I will refer you to the safety on a 91/30...what's the point!
Safe to say that we are a much more litigious society than Russia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.