SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently own a P238 SAS and I can't say anything bad about this gun, I'm very accurate with it, it carries well. The only problem I have with it is the price of target ammo, I can get 50 rounds of 45acp fmj for what they want for 50 rounds of .380 fmj. I'm considering trading it in on a P938 Equinox for the savings in target ammo prices, would you keep the 238 or upgrade to the 938...thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Is keeping the P238 and buying a P938 out of the question?

I've fired both side by side. Both felt very similar in hand and I was able to hit with each one equally well.
I'm guessing a guy could practice with the P938 a lot and the P238 a little and be proficient with both.

You probably won't save any money in the short term with my suggestion but you would have another gun. See that's the up-side, another gun. Lol

Locke

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I try to keep each weapon I own with a specific purpose in mind...well, most of them, anyways.

IMHO, the P238 and the P938 are too similar to make the exchange worthwhile, unless you feel more secure knowing you're shooting something with a bit more power behind it (9mm vs a .380 ACP), but with the improvements in ballistics, it might not be THAT different, but opinions DO vary. The .380 IS DEFINITELY a more expensive round, though, if you do a lot of practice with it.

So the real question is, would you rather pay $250-$300 for the change to a 9mm in the same mouse gun, or would you rather put that $300 down towards another class of weapon, such as a P229 or P239, maybe in .40 S&W? Remember, with those two weapons in .40, it's EASY to convert to a .357SIG or even a 9mm, but going from them in a 9mm limits you to needing to purchase a caliber exchange kit, or like 2/3 of the way to a new (used) Sig.

Especially with the growing pains experienced by the P938, I would be hard-pressed to swap it out for a P238 that functions flawlessly, and that you hit with consistently. A well-placed shot of a "weaker round" trumps a less-precise shot of a comparable (but definitely more powerful) round. Just my two cents. Either way, I'd hang on to the 238 until you are comfortable with the p938, because it sucks regretting having traded a weapon you wish you still had.

GL, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have both the 238 and the 938.

The 238 is great for pocket carry.

The 938 (for me) is harder to pocket carry. It carries well in an IWB holster though, I forget it's there many times.

I suggest you take the advice given above, don't let go of the 238. Get a 938 use them both and then see what you want to do with them.

Reactions: Sloggins55

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I had a couch and charged $275/hr I would say the use of your word "upgrade" is telling.

It is an upgrade IF you want a more powerful cartridge and a touch larger, heavier pistol. My P938 is my carry pistol...it is what it was built to be. The P238 is a better carry pistol IF you like slightly smaller, a little lighter, at the expense of giving up some bullet energy.

I will not own both simply because they are ALMOST the same gun. I would be happy with either. My selection is purposeful...a giagantic, match grade, intimidating looking, .45 with laser by the bed. A lightweight 1911 .45 for carry when clothing and mood moves me to give the P938 a day off, a gazillion round 9mm in my desk or end table drawer. Either the P238/938 fills the pocket or owb carry role perfectly for me. This year I sold 4 pistols because of what I thought was duplication of application. I shoot both my bignlittle carry 3-4 times what I shoot my house guns. All my pistols are operated in the same manner (even removed R side safety on P938) even though they are very different in other areas....at my age I don't need to recall how to make this thing work.

Your money, your choice....but as I said earlier:your use of the word upgrade ...leads me to believe you have chosen already and want validation. Here it is: both are great at the same job. Was that helpful? Economics simply don't work unless it is your range toy and then I would, personally, make different choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I Have Both and aint no way I'm giving up either ! try some Buffalo Bore 380, if you are looking for more Punch, But as a Nice new Toy, Get the 938 also!!!! More Gun for the Fun!!! You wont be sorry, But do not get rid of the 238, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! I Love both of them ,

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all of you, you're very astute especially when it came to my choice of saying "upgrade". I'll keep my P238 for summer carry or my P225 A1 classic carry. My P229 legion is for fall and winter carry. Again thanks to all, I've enjoyed my time here in the forum I've learned so much and am looking forward to learning more...

·
Registered
466 Posts
I currently own a P238 SAS and I can't say anything bad about this gun, I'm very accurate with it, it carries well. The only problem I have with it is the price of target ammo, I can get 50 rounds of 45acp fmj for what they want for 50 rounds of .380 fmj. I'm considering trading it in on a P938 Equinox for the savings in target ammo prices, would you keep the 238 or upgrade to the 938...thanks

Am I missing something. You mention 45acp then the P938. The 938 is 9mm.

Personally I say if you can keep the 238 and buy a 938, both are great little guns and feel so similar you can practice with the 9mm and carry the 380. Maybe a half inch in overall length, and a slightly narrower(front to back grip) on the 238. I got both and most often have to look at the stamped designation or the ambidextrous safety lever on the 938, which the 238 does not have, to tell them apart. I got a couple of pocket holsters, and the 238 fits in one designed for the 938 just fine. Oh, both of mine are the SAS model, I wanted the defanged models for smoothness. and ease of holstering as well as less wear and tear on my clothing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Am I missing something. You mention 45acp then the P938. The 938 is 9mm.

Personally I say if you can keep the 238 and buy a 938, both are great little guns and feel so similar you can practice with the 9mm and carry the 380. Maybe a half inch in overall length, and a slightly narrower(front to back grip) on the 238. I got both and most often have to look at the stamped designation or the ambidextrous safety lever on the 938, which the 238 does not have, to tell them apart. I got a couple of pocket holsters, and the 238 fits in one designed for the 938 just fine. Oh, both of mine are the SAS model, I wanted the defanged models for smoothness. and ease of holstering as well as less wear and tear on my clothing.
I mentioned the 45 acp cost as an example of the cost of 380 ammo. I just stock up when I find it on sale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.