SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

P238 Production

30K views 140 replies 32 participants last post by  Tenring 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Sig will resume production of the P238? I'd like to get this pistol for my EDC, but I haven't seen/found any models I like on the online sites.

Thank you

#2 ·
There are still showing them on their website so I would assume the answer is yes they are still making them.
Try call Sig Customer Service to see if they can give you a production date.

#3 ·
If you strike out on a new one you can always look for a used one. I found mine at a pawn shop for a decent price. It was initially failing to extract Magtech ammo, but everything else ran fine; possibly why the previous owner dumped it. I replaced the $18 extractor and several hundred rounds since I haven’t had a single hiccup.

#6 · (Edited)
I bought a used P238 HD (the stainless frame version) a few years back. I already had three P938's, which are bigger than the P238, but not by a whole lot - you might consider them too. Once upon a few years ago, SIG promised a stainless frame P938 - it didn't happen, but THAT would have had me buying one in a heartbeat. Absent that, I haven't purchased a brand new SIG in over 4 years and likely won't in the future. I prefer the legacy slide guns and am not interested in strikers . . . and strikers is where SIG's focus has been lately.

Edit: I found, sometime after the above post, that SIG made 27 stainless frame P938's. So they are and rare and doubtless will remain so. If you happen to have one of those that's burning a hole in your safe, I'm interested.

#41 ·
I bought a used P238 HD (the stainless frame version) a few years back. I already had three P938's, which are bigger than the P238, but not by a whole lot - you might consider them too. Once upon a few years ago, SIG promised a stainless frame P938 - it didn't happen, but THAT would have had me buying one in a heartbeat. Absent that, I haven't purchased a brand new SIG in over 4 years and likely won't in the future. I prefer the legacy slide guns and am not interested in strikers . . . and strikers is where SIG's focus has been lately.
Hey they did create a p938 HD NI, but not many. I was fortunate enough to snag one last year from a fellow in NH... hell of a find and i also have the p238 HD NI. I am still on the hunt for the Legion MSH and Magwell for the 938. I have one fitted to the 238 and it makes for a nice carry gun.
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Combat pistol shooting Gun barrel Revolver

#7 ·
Ideally I'd like something in stainless, black/nitron, desert or spartan 2 (which may be a lot of wishful thinking:)) Many of the offerings on GB are CA-compliant and I'd like to avoid those as a matter of principle ;-). I don't think I would have an issue with used, but being new to the sport, I don't know what I don't know and whether I could properly judge the quality of a used firearm. I'll keep looking, but last night I was looking at the Kimber Micro 380 (and 9mm), and though this might be a good alternative. Thanks all for the advice.

#10 ·
I just looked on the sig site . They only offer one 238 , the rest are discontinued. I even bought an extra 238 HD
They are a super edc . 11 years and counting. Zero issues. Flat thin accurate,
I just looked at the Sig site and see three models; Nitron, Rainbow, Desert.
There is no indication these are discontinued as I click on the different pistols for info. *Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

I have a Legion and a Rosewood, but that Rainbow sure looks cool! I carry the Legion often and agree, it makes a super EDC.

Cheers,

Tim

*reference to Randy Newman, 1971

#9 ·
I can understand why you want one, I have a P365 also but since I got the P238 the 238 is what I usually carry. I don’t live in CA but mine happened to be a CA compliant model. The first thing I did was remove the magazine disconnect safety. I like the loaded chamber indicator though; me thinks it’s kinda kewl.

#13 ·
I'd love to find a used Legion or Spartan 2 (not quite sure about the Rainbow through :) ). The CA-compliant pistols have some micro-engraving on the firing pin I believe. I assume that can be replaced by a gunsmith if you can find the proper part. Thanks for all the suggestions. I wonder if the discontinued models will be resurrected at some point. It would be a shame if they discontinued all of them.

#17 ·
I think I remember a couple months ago that SIG only had the Nitron (super ugly, IMHO) and that Desert model with the rubber grips with the finger grooves. Nice to see the Rainbow back!

You could get a Nitron and buy nice looking grip panels for it. That would make it not so cheap/ugly looking.

I agree that the Rainbow is too pretty to carry. I "had" to have one though. I keep mine for range use and only use leather holsters. However, as careful as I have been, the finish still has some fine scratches on it. That's a heck of a lot better than the finish on my original P238 Scorpion, though! It is wearing off on all the edges, even where the only thing that touches it is soft cotton tee shirts or sweat shirts!

I also have an SAS model which is very nice but so far has not been shot much since I limit my use of .380 ammo now. I did put two layers of "report binder" plastic under the grips of each of the 3 and that is a much more comfortable grip for my medium size female hands while wearing shooting gloves.

The Kimber Micro .380 Raptor has been getting more use lately, after I finally figured that if I put 3 layers of "report binder" plastic under the grip panels it would no longer think I was limp wristing it.

As far as a comparison between the SIG P238 (any model) and the Kimber Raptor: The SIGs are much more user friendly, and cost a bit less. At least for this user.

Kimber is also discontinuing most of their .380 Micro models. That's why I grabbed the Raptor when I found it at a store on line.

Some of the earlier P238 models are still available at various places on line - New, old stock. You have to really hunt, though, and I'm thinking the prices will go out of sight since a lot of those models are so good looking.

However, if it is your carry gun, it really matters not what it looks like if it is reliable and accurate............she says with a sheepish grin! ;)

#18 ·
However, if it is your carry gun, it really matters not what it looks like if it is reliable and accurate............she says with a sheepish grin! ;)
Yep, mine’s a two tone in a natural stainless slide and there are worn-smooth marks on the slide from the kydex holster. It’s a tool and should be treated as such; nothing to worry about.

#21 ·
Down to one model and without night sights at that? They offered somewhere around 15 variations in the early days. And here I thought those things were popular. Was it just a fad?
I wonder if some of the discontinued models might become collectors items in a few years.

Locke

#22 ·
Down to one model and without night sights at that? They offered somewhere around 15 variations in the early days. And here I thought those things were popular. Was it just a fad?
I wonder if some of the discontinued models might become collectors items in a few years.

Locke
They were popular. All but one of the women I let shoot my P238 rushed right out to buy one! The other one liked my Glock 42 better so that is what she bought.

I think SIG is hurting themselves by concentrating almost completely on striker fired guns, with all kinds of "new" varieties of existing ones.

Actually, from what I have heard, Kimber is going to totally phase out their .380 micros also.

#24 ·
I am glad I bought a spare 238 HD just in case . Got it on a closeout too at a big box store. A 365 380 acp would be a decent substitute, but some of us like the hammer, the safety and a metal frame. I don't feel underguned in the least. That and a Seecamp cover the bases for deep concealment for me.
Also a 238 has the same sights as all of the p series. And they are as good as it gets. Let's hope they keep a 238 in the line up,

#29 ·
Interestingly I found a store with 2 new HDs but at $909 a pop. I’m basically just looking for a Nitron or one of the variants that are black with wood colored grips. So far I’ve found a two-tone, Engraved/Polished Rosewood and 2 HDs

I’m trying to convince myself into the two-tone.

#31 ·
No one in my area has any in stock. I made sure I had "more than one" shortly after buying my first P238. I would buy yet another one if I could find one at less than highway robbery prices, but even on gunbroker the number of them available for those prices is diminishing quickly.

I actually put a bid on one a few days ago on GB that was so blingy I would have been embarrassed to show it to anyone - but I thought if I could get it really cheap, why not? Last I looked the bid was at $650 with 5 days to go in the auction, so I'm outta there on that one.

Note that Miss Minnie in my avatar is holding MY P238 Rainbow. That gun is pretty-to-beautiful, not blingy.

#33 ·
Last I looked the bid was at $650 with 5 days to go in the auction, so I'm outta there on that one.
The TSS is $629, the engraved Rosewood is $649 and the two HDs are $909.

Would buy one of the HDs but $909 seems very steep and would make for an awkward conversation with my better half.

But ya I wouldn’t pay $650 for one if I didn’t like the looks off it. It’s all personal preference.

#34 ·
Unless I'm missing something, there are only 3 models of p238s still left in Dogs lineup.

Makes me think they have already stopped production and are just selling off inventory.

We they sell all they have finished and run out of parts to build more, the P238 is gone.

#37 · (Edited)
Probably the same range/shop where I mentioned finding two. Listed at $909? They wouldn’t budge on the price and told me “we don’t jack up the price like other places”. They weren’t all that friendly. I asked for some pictures of them and they said they’d send them, that was 6 days ago, no pictures.

I bought the last one from the store you recommended, a TSS. Folks there were very friendly and responsive. I ordered some new grips as well.

#38 ·
Sounds right . Glad you bought one from them. They have been decent with people . The other gentleman is a little brisk at times. I did not handle them , but they looked to be new in the box . The list price was close to that much new when they went out of production.I paid 660 for the first one i got in 2010 at a gun show. My last came out of Ft wayne sportsman warehouse. They had marked them down to 489 . So I put it on a card when I got home . A bunch of phone calls and emails and they finally sent it to an ohio shop .Then cs sent me a gift card for my trouble.
I just hope sig don't stop production of the 238 . Not everyone wants polymer. But a 365 380 would be ok .
I bought 380 ball all summer before it dried up . 37 boxs , so I am stuck with that platform. Like wise I have 14 mags all sig or kimber. Never tried colt or a Springfield but the should be fine .
What grips did you order ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.