SIG Talk banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, but two p238 models have discontinued marked on them with only one “the Nitron” left till the end of the year
Yep, it's not looking good. I actually have a gun.deals tab open in my browser and refresh it daily, as I've been trying to get my hands on a P238 Nitron since the beginning of this year. Literally only one online retailer (GrabAGun) had one in stock this entire time. EuroOptic is taking backorders, but after reaching out to them they told me they only got a single shipment back around May and it went straight to one of the customers that previously placed a backorder.

Strangely enough SIG has also been manufacturing previously discontinued models with 2021 manufacture dates (you can find evidence of this on GunBroker). It's like they're releasing limited quantities of older models from spare parts they happen to have. The P238 Extreme has made an appearance twice recently. Currently two retailers also have the Army Green model with hogue grips in stock. I've also seen the Purple "PSP" one come back in stock earlier this year. As well as the Nickel, Rainbow, Stainless Steel "HD", and Sports 12 models. But they've only been available in very limited quantities (typically between 1-4).

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Thanks tomcat, just picked up a couple 7 rounders.

·
Registered
517 Posts
THANKS for the information!

Since Kimber is discontinuing their Micro 380 also, I got 3 more magazines for mine. I don't shoot it often, but I do like to have 6 magazines per gun. Maybe hubby will take it to shoot PPC some month if it has the 6 mags.

I do have enough mags and extra spring kits for my SIG P238's. I hope.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, that’s good to know. They academy nitron has night sights but dull looking grips and no flush mag either. I guess I can add night sights to the bass pro version as I love those grips. It’s an addiction :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tempted to get another one. FYI this one doesn’t come with night sights, or a flush fit magazine.
So they screwed up the title of the product page. This one isn't the "P238 Nitron" 238-380-B with contrast sights. This is SKU 238-380-BU, which is currently unlisted on SIG's website. Might just be a limited batch exclusive to Cabelas and Bass Pro (similar to the Academy model).

There are already listings on Gunbroker if you want a closer look from different angles. Looks like they took a P238 Nitron and added X-RAY 3 (NIGHT) sights, Legion G10 grips (SIG medallion swapped in), and ambi safety. Considering it's more or less a P238 Legion "Lite" this is a damn good deal.

EDIT: Placed my order earlier today. Will update once I pick it up (if nobody else has uploaded any pics by then).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice to hear that you all are finding this (or these?) new P238's! I love my 3 models but realistically I know that at my age it would be foolish of me to buy another one, different model, since it is a challenge for me to get each and every one of my guns out to play on a regular basis. (People who don't feel obligated to make sure that all of their guns get used frialy regularly do not have this problem.)

I am less than "in love" with the Kimber I paid too much for and if I didn't have that one I "might" buy another P238 because I really do enjoy them that much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, it's not looking good. I actually have a gun.deals tab open in my browser and refresh it daily, as I've been trying to get my hands on a P238 Nitron since the beginning of this year. Literally only one online retailer (GrabAGun) had one in stock this entire time. EuroOptic is taking backorders, but after reaching out to them they told me they only got a single shipment back around May and it went straight to one of the customers that previously placed a backorder.

Strangely enough SIG has also been manufacturing previously discontinued models with 2021 manufacture dates (you can find evidence of this on GunBroker). It's like they're releasing limited quantities of older models from spare parts they happen to have. The P238 Extreme has made an appearance twice recently. Currently two retailers also have the Army Green model with hogue grips in stock. I've also seen the Purple "PSP" one come back in stock earlier this year. As well as the Nickel, Rainbow, Stainless Steel "HD", and Sports 12 models. But they've only been available in very limited quantities (typically between 1-4).
You can add the California Compliant P238 to the list of new P238s for sale that are not listed on SIG’s website; two sold on Gunbroker today. The listing for one said the pistol was made June 30, 2021. Both sold for about $1k. If I’m going to spend a grand or more, and considering I live in California and already own a P238, I personally would rather buy an off-roster P938.

In case you’re not familiar with California’s roster, the way it works is dealers can only sell handguns on the roster, except to sworn law enforcement officers. Off-roster guns become available when law enforcement officers decide to trade or sell the handgun. Or, if someone brings off-roster handguns into the state when they become a California resident. They can either sell the guns (including to California residents) or keep the handguns by completing the appropriate forms. Off-roster handguns sell for a big premium in California.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can add the California Compliant P238 to the list of new P238s for sale that are not listed on SIG’s website; two sold on Gunbroker today. The listing for one said the pistol was made June 30, 2021. Both sold for about $1k. If I’m going to spend a grand or more, and considering I live in California and already own a P238, I personally would rather buy an off-roster P938.
I feel especially sorry for Californians who want a P238. It's bad enough trying to find the regular models in stock. I can't even imagine how much harder it is find CA compliant models.

Personally I can't see myself ever substituting the P238 with a P938. I don't want to turn this into a thread bashing one model over the other, but I'll just say there's no sugar coating the fact that these Colt Mustang clones (or whatever you want to call them) were originally designed with .380 in mind. And it 100% absolutely shows when you compare the two models side by side at the range. That's why it's so upsetting for me to see SIG put this particular model out to pasture first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have multiple P238’s and sold my p938 last year. My P938 had aggressive recoil and was not fun to shoot. P238 is smaller and lighter and shot better for me. I would love a p238x with ten rounds.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tears of Joy! Picked up my Bass Pro P238 today.
It has X-ray 3’s and comes with two 7 round magazines! Incredible deal!! Get it while you can.
It appears yours also has an ambi safety. The online photo from BP is only showing the single sided safety. Do you know if this model from BP is shipping standard with ambi safety? As a lefty I'm curious.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tears of Joy! Picked up my Bass Pro P238 today.
It has X-ray 3’s and comes with two 7 round magazines! Incredible deal!! Get it while you can.
Congrats! She looks gorgeous. Confirmed to be the same 238-380-BU models found on GunBroker. Out of curiosity did your store already have them in stock, or did you place an online order for it? The one in my area didn't have any in stock, so I had to go with the "ship to store" option. My order was placed last Thursday and I'm still waiting to get a notice that it's ready to be picked up.

In response to Multisync: I'm pretty sure they all have the ambi safety. Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop have screwed up both the picture and the description. Every listing on GunBroker for that model SKU has shown the ambi safety on it.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts