SIG Talk banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Back in 2012 my wife bought a P238 Nitron. It has been flawless. Based on her experience, in 2016, I purchased a P938. both of us have been very happy with the pair. As Tusser said, just buy one you like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good evening all,

I’m seriously considering a P238 and have been researching as much as I can online. It sounds like the HD is the preferred model, if you can find one? Are there any particular models to avoid? Thank you!

JR
The HD weighs about 5 ounces more. Something to consider if you plan on pocket carrying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The HD weighs about 5 ounces more. Something to consider if you plan on pocket carrying.
Wow, that is quite a bit heavier than the LCP2 (10.6 oz) I’m also considering. Yes, this would be for either pocket carry or ankle carry. I’ll have to see if one of the local ranges has a P238 I can hold and see how it feels in my pocket.

JR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good evening all,

I had the chance to pocket a P238 at a local range and although it wasn’t loaded for the added weight, I think it’ll be fine. Now, to find one! I did see Sportsman’s Warehouse had the HD at a good price but for some reason they can’t ship to my FFL? The only 380 their site showed they could sell online was a Taurus. I even called and spoke with a rep and she confirmed you can only purchase them in stores? I told her my son bought his 365 from them online a couple of years ago but she said that was their policy?

JR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good evening all,

I had the chance to pocket a P238 at a local range and although it wasn’t loaded for the added weight, I think it’ll be fine. Now, to find one! I did see Sportsman’s Warehouse had the HD at a good price but for some reason they can’t ship to my FFL? The only 380 their site showed they could sell online was a Taurus. I even called and spoke with a rep and she confirmed you can only purchase them in stores? I told her my son bought his 365 from them online a couple of years ago but she said that was their policy?

JR

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just wanted to let everyone know that academy sports now has the P238 in stock so if you live near one they might be available. They are the Nitron version.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tomcat777-that was my backup plan since Sportsmen’s Warehouse wouldn’t ship to me. However, I checked every Academy in TX and no one had one. The stores in OK weren’t able to transfer them to the TX stores. :(
JR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hopefully, you guys will get some soon. The Sig phone rep I talked to made it sound like the P238 will phase out at the end of the year. The replacement is the P365 380. This is so sad as it’s an amazing firearm. Probably should buy spare parts while we still can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sportsmansguide.com has P238 Spartan II new. This is a discontinued version but made in April 2021. It is distressed coyote but is cool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since SIG will never be able to sell the P365 in California, and considering the P238 is on California's approved handgun roster, I'll be surprised if SIG discontinues the P238.

Time will tell....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since SIG will never be able to sell the P365 in California, and considering the P238 is on California's approved handgun roster, I'll be surprised if SIG discontinues the P238.
Never? What makes you say that? They already make 10-round mags for it. Wouldn't they just have to add a loaded chamber indicator and submit it to the roster for approval?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does Sig even care about the California roster? With a recent CA court case, the California Assault Weapons Ban has been ruled unconstitutional. Perhaps the roster and other restrictions will be part of what changes in coming months. I may be "California Dreaming" on this summer day...

I would not be in the market for any flavor of P365 even if Sig discontinued all of their metal framed pistols. I hope they keep the P238/P938 around for a long time. It's so much easier to find parts with an in-production gun.

*Were I a gun mfg... I would probably just avoid compliance with CA laws. That MicroStamping thing needs to go.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does Sig even care about the California roster? With a recent CA court case, the California Assault Weapons Ban has been ruled unconstitutional. Perhaps the roster and other restrictions will be part of what changes in coming months. I may be "California Dreaming" on this summer day...

I would not be in the market for any flavor of P365 even if Sig discontinued all of their metal framed pistols. I hope they keep the P238/P938 around for a long time. It's so much easier to find parts with an in-production gun.

*Were I a gun mfg... I would probably just avoid compliance with CA laws. That MicroStamping thing needs to go.

Cheers,

Tim
Like yourself, I don't think I'd be interested in purchasing a P365, even if it were available in California. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I'd own a P938, if it were on the roster.

Ruger's MK IV is a good example of a pistol that dropped off the roster due to the microstamping law. Fortunately, I bought a MK III 22/45 about 15 years ago. I'm not afraid to shoot the MK III, despite it no longer being deemed "safe" by the state. I like to live dangerously.

Ruger's CEO "setting the record straight" on selling Rugers in CA:

·
Registered
21 Posts
A couple days ago, Sig phone agent seemed fairly sure P238 was going away at the end of the year.
Worrisome, and different than what I was told in February of 2020 (see Post #58). Though, I think we can only give limited credence to what phone agents say, whether good or bad.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hopefully, you guys will get some soon. The Sig phone rep I talked to made it sound like the P238 will phase out at the end of the year. The replacement is the P365 380. This is so sad as it’s an amazing firearm. Probably should buy spare parts while we still can.
That’d be a shame, I have a P365 9mm and a P238. The P365 is a great gun but the P238 feels substantially smaller and lighter. I end up carrying it quite a bit more than the P365.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, but two p238 models have discontinued marked on them with only one “the Nitron” left till the end of the year

61 - 80 of 104 Posts