SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a used P238 HD (the stainless frame version) a few years back. I already had three P938's, which are bigger than the P238, but not by a whole lot - you might consider them too. Once upon a few years ago, SIG promised a stainless frame P938 - it didn't happen, but THAT would have had me buying one in a heartbeat. Absent that, I haven't purchased a brand new SIG in over 4 years and likely won't in the future. I prefer the legacy slide guns and am not interested in strikers . . . and strikers is where SIG's focus has been lately.
Hey they did create a p938 HD NI, but not many. I was fortunate enough to snag one last year from a fellow in NH... hell of a find and i also have the p238 HD NI. I am still on the hunt for the Legion MSH and Magwell for the 938. I have one fitted to the 238 and it makes for a nice carry gun.
2E137315-E58B-492E-8D37-C63C31E38E78.jpeg
B26A2986-63AF-46B6-80E3-C010A97F1DD0.jpeg

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Now I know the P238 HD frame is ferritic stainless (i.e. magnetic), so would you double check with a magnet to see if your P938 frame is truly stainless rather than clear anodized aluminum alloy? I was not aware SIG made any stainless frame P938's . . . and I know I was not the only one waiting and watching!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now I know the P238 HD frame is ferritic stainless (i.e. magnetic), so would you double check with a magnet to see if your P938 frame is truly stainless rather than clear anodized aluminum alloy? I was not aware SIG made any stainless frame P938's . . . and I know I was not the only one waiting and watching!
Haha, I know! The ASE models are misleading, but no, trust this is the real deal. It’s like a unicorn. Haha. That’s why I posted the weight photos (all with loaded magazines) for comparison between the p238 HD-NI and the p938 HD-NI. Guy I bought it from said only 26 of them were made (per a friend he had at Sig, but it does seem like a weird number tho).
Only magnet I had handy was my tape measure....

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Haha, I know! The ASE models are misleading, but no, trust this is the real deal. It’s like a unicorn. Haha. That’s why I posted the weight photos (all with loaded magazines) for comparison between the p238 HD-NI and the p938 HD-NI. Guy I bought it from said only 26 of them were made (per a friend he had at Sig, but it does seem like a weird number tho).
Only magnet I had handy was my tape measure....
Oh dang, now I'm gonna have to search for one! (thanks!!)

·
Registered
76 Posts
You’re all going to hate me for this but I picked up the P238 Legion at sportsman‘s warehouse last year for $429. For some reason they put them on sale and knocked $300 off the price. When I saw it on my iPhone advertised that way I drove through a blizzard 10 miles to go get it. And I grabbed the last one. The salesman couldn’t believe it and had to call the manager but I Showed him the ad on my iPhone. Done deal; the salesman was just really bummed because he didn’t buy it. Here it is on the left with his big brother on the right.
227A0655-A3E4-43EE-B37D-A274803C4D87.jpeg

·
Registered
215 Posts
You’re all going to hate me for this but I picked up the P238 Legion at sportsman‘s warehouse last year for $429. For some reason they put them on sale and knocked $300 off the price. When I saw it on my iPhone advertised that way I drove through a blizzard 10 miles to go get it. And I grabbed the last one. The salesman couldn’t believe it and had to call the manager but I Showed him the ad on my iPhone. Done deal; the salesman was just really bummed because he didn’t buy it. Here it is on the left with his big brother on the right.
No hate, you earned that deal!

·
Registered
49 Posts
No hate either. I got a 238 HD last summer for 489.99 . I bought in another state and they didn't like doing the transfer ! We went around and around until I got the right lady . She shipped to a local shop . And then sent me a fifty dollar gift card for my trouble. They sold them at cost because they had been discontinued. Silly to me , but it was a deal. My other hd was over 600 .

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I'm getting the strong impression that the P238 lineup is going to be discontinued entirely by 2022. SIG already updated their website with icons indicating that the Desert and Rainbow models are on the way out. That just leaves P238 Nitron. They've also eliminated the MA Compliant SKU for that Nitron model. Furthermore, the P365 is getting a .380 version soon. It just wouldn't make business sense to just have a single model covering the entire family alongside the P365 offering higher capacity with cheaper production.

It just pisses me off that they've got a million different variants of the P320 on their website (they literally just added a new "Spectre Series" as I'm typing this). Yet they can't be bothered to keep the P238 around for people who want a metal frame pocket .380 pistol with a crisp trigger pull that's accurate, fun, reliable, and small. The LEAST they could've done was kept the P238 Legion around as a niche collector pistol. Those things have been flying off the shelves for the last 2 years, and people are now paying upwards of $1500+ on GunBroker to own factory new old stock models.

Anyway I've been tirelessly searching to find anyone that has new P238 Nitrons in stock since the beginning of the year (checking gun.deals and wikiarms.com pretty much daily). At this point it has gotten beyond frustrating that literally no distributors have gotten any batches in for half a year now. I tried reaching out to SIG's customer service and was given the generic pandemic/panic buying response. They claim they're trying to produce as much as they can to meet demand, but so far all signs point to zero P238 hitting distributors and all focus being put on P320/P365 production ($$$).

·
Registered
517 Posts
It just pisses me off that they've got a million different variants of the P320 on their website (they literally just added a new "Spectre Series" as I'm typing this). Yet they can't be bothered to keep the P238 around for people who want a metal frame pocket .380 pistol with a crisp trigger pull that's accurate, fun, reliable, and small.
I totally agree. I do not want another stryker fired gun. I shot Glocks for over 20 years but now that I'm shooting hammer fired "everything" I really do not want to go back, no matter who makes them. I am fortunate that I was able to purchase 3 P238's - one that had been discontinued but one dealer still had one.

Although the P238's were not as popular as those stupid P320's have been, they were very popular and filled a niche for those of us who can no longer shoot 9mm. I also have an S&W EZ in .380 but it is not reliable enough to ever be a carry or home SD gun and it is no easier to use in any way than the P238's are. It just is not.

And, BTW, it looks like Kimber is or has discontinued their Micro in .380 also. I have one of those and it is most definitely not as user friendly in any way as the SIG's are. I would buy another P238. I will not buy another Kimber Micro 380, even at half price or less.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So I'm getting the strong impression that the P238 lineup is going to be discontinued entirely by 2022. SIG already updated their website with icons indicating that the Desert and Rainbow models are on the way out. That just leaves P238 Nitron. They've also eliminated the MA Compliant SKU for that Nitron model. Furthermore, the P365 is getting a .380 version soon. It just wouldn't make business sense to just have a single model covering the entire family alongside the P365 offering higher capacity with cheaper production.

It just pisses me off that they've got a million different variants of the P320 on their website (they literally just added a new "Spectre Series" as I'm typing this). Yet they can't be bothered to keep the P238 around for people who want a metal frame pocket .380 pistol with a crisp trigger pull that's accurate, fun, reliable, and small. The LEAST they could've done was kept the P238 Legion around as a niche collector pistol. Those things have been flying off the shelves for the last 2 years, and people are now paying upwards of $1500+ on GunBroker to own factory new old stock models.

Anyway I've been tirelessly searching to find anyone that has new P238 Nitrons in stock since the beginning of the year (checking gun.deals and wikiarms.com pretty much daily). At this point it has gotten beyond frustrating that literally no distributors have gotten any batches in for half a year now. I tried reaching out to SIG's customer service and was given the generic pandemic/panic buying response. They claim they're trying to produce as much as they can to meet demand, but so far all signs point to zero P238 hitting distributors and all focus being put on P320/P365 production ($$$).
You could look at the Kimber Micro or SA 911 .380; essential the same guns.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
of course as I get started with my new p238, finding reasonably priced 380 ammo is challenging. really like shooting the pistol.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You could look at the Kimber Micro or SA 911 .380; essential the same guns.
They are supposed to be the same but they are most definitely NOT. The Kimber is nowhere as user friendly as the P238 in any way, and anyway Kimber is discontinuing those in .380 also.

I have not tried the SA9111 and won't unless the local gunrange rental happens to have one when I'm in there sometime. And that isn't likely to happen either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have not tried the SA9111 and won't unless the local gunrange rental happens to have one when I'm in there sometime. And that isn't likely to happen either.
Was tempted to grab a Springfield 911 from guns.com recently, but decided not to after reading multiple negative reviews online. The one that stood out to me the most was the trigger pin walking out over time. There were way too many reports of that happening (some recent) for my comfort. And I mean no offense to any Springfield fans on here, but I've also been seeing a pattern of QC issues affecting some of their other products as well (namely the M1A and Saint series rifles). Their recent reputation doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence for something I plan to carry everyday.

The advantage you're getting with the SIG is that the P238 has been on the market for WAY longer than either the Kimber or the Springfield. They've had since 2009 to work out all the kinks and get it to a place where it's boringly reliable. And after owning four of my own in the past I can confidently say they've achieved that. I didn't realize how much I took that for granted until after I sold them and gave some of the competition a try. And now unfortunately we're at a point where these things have become unobtainium.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Putting in my two cents from California.

Back in February of 2020, I noticed a local chain (Turner’s Outdoorsman) listed P238s under “closeout firearms.” I checked SIG’s website: at the time, only the HD model was listed. Below is a question I sent SIG, and their response.

Question:

I no longer see the California Compliant alloy frame P238 listed on your website. I only see the HD (stainless steel frame) model. Also, Turner’s Outdoorsman (California chain) is listing the 238‐380‐TSS1‐CA under "Closeout Firearms."

Is Sig Sauer ending production of 238‐380‐TSS1‐CA?

Response:

Thank you for contacting SIG Sauer.

We are running through the remaining 238‐380‐TSS1‐CA we have built and in inventory and then the model number will change slightly to 238‐380‐TSS2‐CA. The TSS2 will have slightly different checkering, which required new approval from the state and a model number change. We are not discontinuing production of one of the few pistols we can still sell in California.

Since this exchange, I haven’t seen P238s at Turner’s. Though the water is muddied by the buying craze that started shortly after the exchange. The only P238 I recall seeing at all locally is an HD in the range rental cabinet at the indoor range/gun store near my house.

A potential positive development (for everyone I suppose, not just Californians) is the TSS2 is listed on the California roster of approved handguns:

Handguns Certified for Sale

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good evening all,

I’m seriously considering a P238 and have been researching as much as I can online. It sounds like the HD is the preferred model, if you can find one? Are there any particular models to avoid? Thank you!

JR

41 - 60 of 104 Posts