SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with limited attention spans, see Bold headings below for Cost, Shipping Process, & Work Performed/Parts Replaced.

I spent a lot of time reading through this forum once I caught wind of a potential issue with my P938. I found a lot of great information and good discussion around the Gen1 parts issues, but I never found a one-stop-shop post that detailed the process, so I thought I'd give back a little and provide a detailed account of my excellent experience with Sig's Customer Service as they upgraded my Gen1 P938 to Gen2 parts.

Link to Sig Sauer Custom Shop
https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/

I contacted Sig Customer Service via phone during business hours and explained my concerns. They asked for my pistol S/N and confirmed that it was a Gen1 (Manufactured June 2013) and was a candidate for updated parts. I have seen other accurate posts in this forum that explain how to identify a Gen 1 pistol by removing the grips and looking at the inside of the MSH (which I did before calling). It was just as easy to call Sig and get them to confirm via S/N.

I also learned that by requesting a service for my pistol in this way, I was actually registering it for the first time. This is apparently a separate registration from the warranty registration you can complete on their website. Customer Service apparently can not access that information.

My pistol was outside of the factory warranty period, so I had initially wanted to purchase and upgrade the parts myself, but after a brief discussion with the CS rep I was convinced that it was worth my while to let Sig do this work for me. In my case, the selling points were:
1.) Work would be done by a certified Sig armorer/gunsmith, and included the Full Service Package (FSP) - See Note Below
2.) The cost of the shipping was about the same as the cost for me to go to the local range and test-fire the weapon, which I would certainly do after a full disassembly before putting back in my EDC rotation

Cost
Freight+Repair $44.00 (included FedEx Express 2-Day Air, both ways)
FSP Service $60.00
Total Cost: $104.00

NOTE: Website says $84.95 for FSP. It did not receive an answer as to why my repair was cheaper, but I'm OK with it. Per Sig website, FSP includes: Detailed stripping and complete and thorough cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory certified personnel. Replacement of springs prone to wear ( trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, recoil spring) and any needed small parts. Then lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing.

Shipping
I was emailed a pre-paid FedEx Express shipping label. I had to provide packaging. I put my unloaded pistol in its original case with a single magazine and put zip-ties on the lock hasps. Went to my local FedEx and bought a slightly-over-sized box and some bubble wrap. At the counter, an employee scanned the label from my phone and printed it for me, put it on the box, and I was out the door. After two weeks, I received an email notification that my pistol had shipped FedEx 2nd-Day Air which included tracking information. Upon receiving my pistol, I noticed that it was packaged carefully in a nondescript box with ample protective material inside. Nothing indicated that it was a firearm. Case had new zip-ties applied. Opened the box and found my gun in pristine condition with all parts returned, plus the original parts. There was also a copy of the Shop Service Order which detailed the work.

NOTE: Sig did not return the original MSH. I was informed of this up front. They do not return parts considered to be defective, for safety/reliability reasons.

Worked Performed
- Performed FSP
- Updated MSH, Hammer, Sear, & Extractor
- Updated Magazine Catch Spring
- Polished Feed Ramp
- Test Fired w/ FMJ & JHP

Hopefully, this post will help others assess their options and ultimately get their pistols upgraded with more reliable parts. I'll be glad to field any questions as time permits.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Potential issue? So you never had a malfunction/problem?

Thanks for the post, but.

I would still go to the range and give it a reliability/ mini-torture test to satisfy myself that it is indeed now 100% good to go. So the part about test firing cost is moot IMHO, unless there are problems after your work and you have to do multiple test range visits.

I agree with your decision to send it in if you have a known problem part(s).

The work is warrantied for how long after such work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good.
I think there is a Sticky on this Forum that lists the Parts ans Part Numbers that need to be replaced on the Gen 1 P938s.
Yes, there is a stick post but it only lists various MSH P/Ns (based on color) and the sear spring. I have not seen a list that includes P/N's for the additional parts Sig changed out on my gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Potential issue? So you never had a malfunction/problem?

Thanks for the post, but.

I would still go to the range and give it a reliability/ mini-torture test to satisfy myself that it is indeed now 100% good to go. So the part about test firing cost is moot IMHO, unless there are problems after your work and you have to do multiple test range visits.

I agree with your decision to send it in if you have a known problem part(s).

The work is warrantied for how long after such work?
I have never had a malfunction or other operational issue with the gun. It has been extremely reliable through 1500+ rounds (mostly 115 gr. FMJ). I became aware of the MSH design flaw through casual conversation and decided to inspect my own weapon and do some research, which led me here. Attached are some photos that show the early signs of sear spring movement and damage to the boss on the MSH.

I did end up making a range visit and testing the gun for myself. Runs like a champ. Didn't notice any meaningful difference in the feel of the gun. The trip was driven by new acquisitions rather than a lack of faith in my P938's reliability. Two boxes of my preferred EDC defensive ammo at $25-30 a box, plus range fee which is between $12-18 per hour, and I have spent nearly as much as the combined Sig package. I feel like professional gunsmiths who handle tens or even hundreds of different P938's per year are able to glean far more from a few rounds with my gun than I might after 20+ rounds. Before this test, I was comfortable carrying the gun having not personally tested it, but knowing that it was Sig who did the work and performed a functional test on my behalf.

Regarding warranty, Sig stated that since the work was performed at their factory, the gun's lifetime warranty still applies.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
Yes, there is a stick post but it only lists various MSH P/Ns (based on color) and the sear spring. I have not seen a list that includes P/N's for the additional parts Sig changed out on my gun.
Actually there was a posting by either Willard or ThnkFirst that listed the parts and Parts numbers back in Dec 2016 besides the Sticky.
I ordered the Four Parts in Jan 2017.
Extractor Spring 1202182-R
Extractor Pin 1201802-R
Mainspring Housing 1202713-R
Sear Spring No part # on Bag

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.