SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have broken the hammer reset spring on my late production P230 (and so it has that feature, just like the P232) and can't find a replacement part anywhere -- it is out of stock at Sig, Brownells, Numrich, etc. Anybody has any idea as to how to fix this? The same type of spring from a P239 looks kind of similar in pictures but I do not know if it is actually the same. Any kind of help would be very appreciated -- it just feels so silly that the entire gun is now disabled because of what is possibly the cheapest, smallest part. Thank you

馃帠USA Veteran
P232 & p239 hrs

They are close, but not the same:

Auto part

But since they are out of stock and your pistol is down, it might be worth investing in a P239 spring and seeing if it will fit and function.

Resident Armorer Premium Member
Groundhog33, ThnkFrst is right, it's worth the try. Otherwise I would suggest a real gunsmith and not an armorer. Part of a gunsmiths forte, is being able to make a spring. If you have the original "broken" spring, it would be beneficial, so he can determine wire gauge to use. The "photos" attached will give him the design, and having the hammer "in hand" will / should complete his needs on "size". It will tend to be an expensive spring when all is said and done, but the pistol will again be functional.

馃帠USA Veteran
G33, I think I have a spare P239 HRS in my spares kit. If you would like to do a trial fit in your P232 without buying one and paying the shipping, I could mail it to you. A $0.40 stamp should get it there. PM me your address if interested.

photog22740, yes, that's what Groundhog33 needs, unfortunately it's discontinued, just as the firearm was, several years ago.

Oh yeah, sorry, didn't even notice the "discontinued" when i pulled up the link.
It's the thought that counts... I've done it myself!

Reactions: photog22740

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted to update this thread with the results of trying to use a P239 hammer return spring in my P230. Thanks to ThnkFrst's generosity, I got the opportunity to compare a P239 spring to my broken P230 spring. The springs are indeed very close dimensionally -- each has a hole in the center through which the hammer pin goes (both holes are virtually the same), one straight leg of approximately the same length (the P230 straight leg looks shorter in the pictures because a piece of it snapped off -- that is how the spring broke), and the other leg with a hook on the end (that hook fits into the corresponding recess on the side of the hammer). The problem is, however, that the leg with the hook on the P239 spring is a couple of millimeters shorter that that of the P230 spring. So, when the spring sits on the hammer pin, the hooked part is too close to reach the recessed hole on the side of the hammer where the hook goes. The pictures below, hopefully, show this more clearly (in the first picture, the P230 spring is on top, in the second picture it is on the right, and in the last picture it is on the left). Alas, it was worth a try. The good news is that after calling Sig's repair shop they agreed to fix the problem if I send the gun to them and so that is what I am going to do.

馃帠USA Veteran
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It was worth a try for the price of a postage stamp, and now we know.

Thanks for the update.

Registered
Hopefully SIG will not only fix it for you but also send you a spare spring so you can fix it yourself if that issue comes up again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.